• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spirit World 100 (58)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yesterday Bonnie and I completed the Spirit World 100’s 58 mile course. Spirit World is held in and around Patagonia Arizona. What a cool little town. We drove 3100 miles to get here and this was certainly the coolest place we saw on that drive. Bonnie is more of a completer than a competent and I rode it with her so I had a lot of time to take pictures.

The course was super rough apparently because it was an unusually dry summer. It was basically 58 miles of washboard and sand traps with an occasional rock pit of a wash.

I rode my Grail and Bonnie rode her Grail:eek:n which had just enough juice to make it to the line.

The last picture is my rear brake. At about mile 30 I felt the lever go soft at the end of a really rough section. I stopped and the pads had ejected themselves. The pistons were way out and cockeyed and the wheel wouldn’t turn. I was able to carefully press the pistons back in with the flat side of my chain plier and found the pads and spring but the retaining pin was gone. I was sure I’d have to ride the rest with just a front brake but luckily a passerby had a hair pin which held for the whole rest of the ride!
IMG_3783.jpeg
IMG_3787.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3803.jpeg
IMG_3805.jpeg
IMG_3807.jpeg
IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg
IMG_3835.jpeg
IMG_3837.jpeg
IMG_3783.jpeg
IMG_3787.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3803.jpeg
IMG_3805.jpeg
IMG_3807.jpeg
IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg
IMG_3835.jpeg
IMG_3837.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice hack on the brake pads.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Looks really cool, and a long distance on gravel!
We did a 28 mile warm up on Friday and I thought they were being dramatic about how rough it was, but it got rougher and rougher and it did make those miles feel really long. Lots of flats too. There was someone fixing a flat (or calling it a day) at the bottom of every hill.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We did a 28 mile warm up on Friday and I thought they were being dramatic about how rough it was, but it got rougher and rougher and it did make those miles feel really long. Lots of flats too. There was someone fixing a flat (or calling it a day) at the bottom of every hill.
I doń´t (yet) have a bike that I would want to ride on a course like that, but I totally get the appeal. Despite the hardships :D

Sponsor

Staff online