• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spending time in park? Is it helpful to your skiing?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Curious for those that are advanced/expert skiers, do you spend any time in the park? Anything in there you use to improve your overall skiing skills?

Second question, how motivated are you to ski switch? Is there any benefit to spending time getting skills to ski switch? I know it is helpful for those aspiring to do tricks off of jumps, but any other reason to spend time skiing switch for general skiing ability?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Second question, how motivated are you to ski switch? Is there any benefit to spending time getting skills to ski switch? I know it is helpful for those aspiring to do tricks off of jumps, but any other reason to spend time skiing switch for general skiing ability?

Switch? For fun of course. Benefits? Sure! Versatility, a better understanding of timing, edge angle, pressure control, and weight distribution. We teach kids so they feel confident backing into a line in steep terrain (this is more a falling leaf manuever), and again with emphasis, versatility and FUN! It's always good to play with new tricks. ogsmile

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Switch? For fun of course. Benefits? Sure! Versatility, a better understanding of timing, edge angle, pressure control, and weight distribution. We teach kids so they feel confident backing into a line in steep terrain (this is more a falling leaf manuever), and again with emphasis, versatility and FUN! It's always good to play with new tricks. ogsmile

I've always wanted to take a park lesson. I think I'll do this with my next private. I lack confidence much of the time and I think a mini park lesson and practice will help a lot with the things you said. Plus I think it might be a fun ;)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski switch for fun and working on those skills and comfort level. Plus it gives people on the lifts something to laugh at. :)

I don't do rails, will do small boxes and hit some jumps, but I try to jump off almost anything in natural terrain, because it is fun. I don't like kickers, though.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski through the park frequently largely because I am following my kids through it. However, I still find myself going through it occasionally when skiing alone. I enjoy the jumps and mounds and banking turns off the terrrain features. My motivation is purely for fun rather than skills development. I have slid some boxes (just going straight) in the past but am unwilling to compromise the edges on my skis.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not advanced/expert and don't go through the park per se... I do take advantage of the mounds and irregular features to do little jumps (fore/aft balance), will work on switch and on the ground 360 (fore/aft and edging skills), and otherwise find ways to fail (entertain others) at slow speeds. I think it's better here than on the steeps.

But, I'm easily bored and need small goals.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Both switch and park feature hits give you recovery skills which will help you get out of bad situations, unforeseen obstacles, etc. I spent quite a bit of time switch when my kids were really little and just starting out. If it wasn't busy I'd ski switch in front of them talking to them. If it was busy I'd ski behind them instead to provide a barrier for out of control folks to prevent them from being hit.

Some places require a "park pass" for accessing the larger features. Usually about $5 and passing a simple test after viewing a park rules and best practices video. There should also be another smaller features terrain park that's enough fun and challenge for most non new schoolers and the really little jibbers. I used to do the big ones, but now just stay on the small side. I don't heal as quickly as I used to.. Last somewhat serious injury separated rib cartilage landing a jump 4 years ago. I didn't even fall. Felt like someone SHOT me in the chest on landing and was sucking wind the rest of the day.. left after two more runs feeling worse and worse sore ribs. Super sore for 6 weeks after that. No more big air for me..

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Absolutely!

Kickers give you balls and help you understand different transitions which in turn helps with stepping up to cliffs,headwalls, booters.

Boxes help you understand your skis swing weight which is good for trees, tight turns, gullies..

When your young and huck yourself it teaches you how to fall and recover from mishaps at high speeds

At 36 you really won't find me in the park anymore. The kickers these days have gotten fuckin insane.

Last edited:

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
It's been a while, but I spent a ton of time in the park as a kid. It definitely helped me build some quick reflexes. If I get launched over an unexpected bump, I still can get to a safe landing position pretty fast without thinking too much about it, which has come in handy before. I think it helps build a bit of a cooler head in wacky situations, too.

Sponsor

Staff online