• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Speaking of class action lawsuits ...

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm actually having a hard time seeing the problem here, aside maybe from the timing (as in, maybe a little early to take things to court, but IANAL so I also don't know what issues, if any, may arise by waiting).

I really don't follow sports in general, so correct me if I'm missing something obvious. But, if I've paid for tickets to a set number of games (perhaps with some allowances for cancellations due to weather, etc.), then it seems pretty reasonable that I'd expect to either have the opportunity to use the tickets or get a refund.

The fact that the season was cancelled due to a pandemic is between the league and the government. It hardly seems reasonable to expect a third party with no role whatsoever in that decision to bear the entire financial cost of a cancelled ticket.

I can certainly understand that the league wants to hold onto the idea that the season is just "on hold", and the tickets will be usable at a future date. But, honestly, that seems like wishful thinking (or, alternatively, a good way to hold onto a little extra cash from all those outstanding tickets). At this point, it's looking increasingly unlikely that even the next season, at a minimum, is going to be back to normal.

The responsible thing to do, from a health perspective, would be to not only just outright say there will be no in-person viewing for the remainder of the season, refund tickets, and remove any incentive people have to do something stupid in the immediate future, but also allow season ticket holders the option to postpone by a season, like Alterra has already done.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online