• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Speaking of Campagnolo

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sure there is the trread right now where @JeffB is looking for some older Campagnolo parts HERE, but did you know that Campy also made car parts and wheels?

Volkswagen Phaeton Trunk Hinges:
hrh7lzaojegi78mebtbf.jpg

From Jalopnik:
Yes, that’s the friggin’ trunk hinge, not a piece of sculpture. Those hinges were made by Campagnolo, the bicycle company. They commissioned an Italian bike company as a vendor to make just the hinges! I had not seen anything like this before and have not seen anything like it since.

Various Lamborghini wheels...
338431-1000-0@2x.jpg

IMG_0394_7UAt_5.jpg

220px-Lamborghini_Espada_wheels.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sure there is the trread right now where @JeffB is looking for some older Campagnolo parts HERE, but did you know that Campy also made car parts and wheels?

hrh7lzaojegi78mebtbf.jpg

From Jalopnik:
Yes, that’s the friggin’ trunk hinge, not a piece of sculpture. Those hinges were made by Campagnolo, the bicycle company. They commissioned an Italian bike company as a vendor to make just the hinges! I had not seen anything like this before and have not seen anything like it since.

338431-1000-0@2x.jpg

IMG_0394_7UAt_5.jpg

And one hell of a corkscrew!!!

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The most famous, at least IMO, would be the wheels that Campagnolo designed for the Detomaso Pantera

wheel.jpg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Campagnolo made a brief entry into the mountain bike market as well. I've never been part of the "mud & blood" set, so I don't know what the quality of it was, etc., but given their apparent rapid departure from the MTB realm, I'm guessing the price / performance ratio was "off".

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Some of the Campy mountain groups had total runs in the tens. They are pretty rare. I remember seeing Bob Rolls bike (he raced on dirt for Lemond and then Pro-Flex for a few years) and though he was sponsored by Campy, his bike was all XTR. The Campy Record OR crank was beautiful of course, some of it like the small chainrings and gears was ahead of it's time. Some of it was not, bullet shifters were like grip shift, but the entire grip turned. It was disconcerting, or so I am told.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I had heard, back in the day, that Campy had their drilling work on road bike stuff done by prisioners in Italy. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
The stuff was pure art.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
JimLangleyCampagnoloToolKit_sm.jpg

Schwing! I have a few Campy tools in my box from my bike shop rat days - T-wrench, crank puller, cone wrenches, seat post tool, hex keys, etc. Treasures they are. I have a custom-made British 531 frame that I got in the mid-70s, fully period Campy except for a Stronglite headset. It's kind of awesome, but I never ride it. I've been thinking about selling it, but never get around to it.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had heard, back in the day, that Campy had their drilling work on road bike stuff done by prisioners in Italy. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
The stuff was pure art.

Not sure how or when this would have happened. Their metal work stuff is all unionized. And I believe it still is. Not sure about the guys in Romania but Italy for sure.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier

hrh7lzaojegi78mebtbf.jpg

From Jalopnik:

338431-1000-0@2x.jpg

IMG_0394_7UAt_5.jpg

The Miura wheels on the red Miura above are absolute works of 3-D art in person; I know, I had a couple of sets on cars.
FYI: they photograph better at an angle not head on.

Sponsor

Staff online