• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA Soldier Loses Ski Gear in Military Move—Needs Replacements

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello, thank you so much!

I had size large bib pants and coat. For under-layers I usually just wore some sort of thermal leggings and long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. Usually size medium or large.

I don’t really have a preference when it comes to gloves but I had Oakley goggles and a smith helmet, not sure of what the sizes were on those. At this point id just take anything I can get !
I have a size Women's medium light blue MIPS lightly used Smith helmet I can send you if you like. DM me your address.

amyrose8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey, troop, glad to see you on here. Bummer on your first PCS, but get used to it. I'm going on two decades of these and I'm still breaking stuff and losing things.

First off, remember that you don't have to take the offer the movers are giving you for your stuff. They will try to lowball and hose you out of what they owe you. Push back and provide documents on what replacements will cost, as well as the age of your equipment. If they continue to lowball you, do not hesitate to get TRANSCOM claims involved as well as the local personal property office. If you're a new LT, this probably sounds like greek. Ask your 1SG or CO for help, they'll point you in the right direction.

Bottom line, don't sign off on compensation until you're satisfied. You have help, if you need it.

As for gear, most outdoor retailers in the ski industry are pretty friendly to us. Oakley and Smith will put you on a pro deal if you ask, highly reduced prices. Also, sign up for Outdoor Prolink and you'll find some good deals there, particularly with DPS and Liberty. Outdoor Research is fantastic, as well, as is Flylow and Helly Hansen.

If you need more help or have some questions you don't want to post in the open, fire them my way and I can hook you up on private message or pass you my .mil address. At the very least, I can point you towards the good deals out there.

Enjoy FCKY. Hopefully you're at Division and below, but I've got my biases...

Air Assault!
Air Assault! Rakkasan!!
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!! I was able to file a claim but the reimbursement didn’t come close to covering everything I lost. I’ll definitely check out the pro deals you mentioned, that’s awesome to know!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Air Assault! Rakkasan!!
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!! I was able to file a claim but the reimbursement didn’t come close to covering everything I lost. I’ll definitely check out the pro deals you mentioned, that’s awesome to know!
@amyrose8:
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 110W in a 25.5, but only the shells, since I use an aftermarket custom liner. I’d be happy to send them to you, if it would help.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
@amyrose8:
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 110W in a 25.5, but only the shells, since I use an aftermarket custom liner. I’d be happy to send them to you, if it would help.
I may have a pair of heat moldable Dalbello liners....let me check the size. I know I have a pair of brand new Intuition 26.5 wrap liners, don't know if they could be stuffed in LOL

amyrose8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I may have a pair of heat moldable Dalbello liners....let me check the size. I know I have a pair of brand new Intuition 26.5 wrap liners, don't know if they could be stuffed in LOL
Hahaha I would love to try if you think they’d fit!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
So the Dalbello liners are 24.0, so that won't work. But the Intuitions are 26.0, and they are the wrap style that is 100% moldable, so they may work. They are medium volume, high density. Never been molded, and I can give you some tips on doing it yourself (it's actually pretty easy). Let me know if you're interested and I can get them in the mail to you in about a week (I'm heading back to PA to close the sale of our house there)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online