• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA Soldier Loses Ski Gear in Military Move—Needs Replacements

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I know many of you have extra skis and boots in your garage or shed just waiting for a new owner.

One of my former Army ROTC interns, now an active duty second lieutenant, is a rapidly improving intermediate skier who recently purchased a new pair of Nordica Santa Anna 93s (169 cm in length but she’d be ok with 165s) and Atomic boots (size 25/25.5). She does not know the flex but is 5’9” and quite strong, so probably 100 or even higher would be ok. Please see the attached photos of the gear lost.

She loved those skis and took advantage of the Military Epic pass to break them in at Breckinridge, Stowe, and several other places two years ago. She got zero days in last season. Why? Because all of her stuff was recently lost in a military move and the reimbursement she is getting from the government does not begin to cover her losses. Replacing ski equipment is not something she can afford given all the other stuff she needed to replace, including a lot of expensive military uniforms, household effects, and other gear. Ski swaps and even ski stores cannot be found where she is currently serving.

She’s a good Soldier, serving her country, in a tough job. She’s also the type we should be encouraging to stick with the sport despite how expensive it can be.

If anyone has some appropriate replacement sky equipment that they would not mind giving to her as a “thank you for your service,” please send me a pm and I will put you in touch.

7B36DB88-7808-4682-98D4-EFDA18E1101C.jpeg

C215BE90-E61D-4AB5-A3BC-B5C500A95526.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is there a way to do a 'Go Fund Me' type thing in conjunction with one of the shops on here? (Here's looking at you @SkiEssentials ) If 200 folks put in $5 she got new gear.
That's a good idea.
I wish we had gear to send but we don't at this time, but a donation drive may be just the trick, combined with the good vibes from members here....

TS
Johnfmh

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The Soldier just joined ski talk, so I am passing along her userid, @amyrose8

Feel free to communicate directly. Thanks for the ideas and kind words. One thing occurred to me about losing ski gear. It’s not just skis but the whole kit: gloves, pants, jacket, helmet, goggles, underlayers, ski socks, neck gaiter, etc. It really adds up when think about it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a good idea.
I wish we had gear to send but we don't at this time, but a donation drive may be just the trick, combined with the good vibes from members here....

Can you and Phil do this through SkiTalk somehow?

Because we all know you just sit around on the deck reading and drinking ice tea all summer...... ;)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'll pitch in if someone sets up a crowdfunding

amyrose8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@amyrose8 - if you’re comfortable, can you share clothing sizes, layering preferences etc to the thread? I’m sure the SkiTalk community can pull things together for you!

PS - active duty military skis free at Mad River Glen in Vermont.
Hello, thank you so much!

I had size large bib pants and coat. For under-layers I usually just wore some sort of thermal leggings and long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. Usually size medium or large.

I don’t really have a preference when it comes to gloves but I had Oakley goggles and a smith helmet, not sure of what the sizes were on those. At this point id just take anything I can get !

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I had size large bib pants and coat. For under-layers I usually just wore some sort of thermal leggings and long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. Usually size medium or large.

I don’t really have a preference when it comes to gloves but I had Oakley goggles and a smith helmet, not sure of what the sizes were on those. At this point id just take anything I can get !
I have a dark teal mid-layer (sweatshirt weight) and medium mostly black but patterned insulated coat that’s well-loved but in good condition that I will happily pass on! DM me your mailing address and I will send them out ASAP!

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also for discounted winter gear including discounts on helmets you should definitely sign up for expertvoice.com — military are invited and have access to a number of good winter sports brands.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you and Phil do this through SkiTalk somehow?

Because we all know you just sit around on the deck reading and drinking ice tea all summer...... ;)
Just saying...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I have a medium down jacket that I'd be happy to send you, if you think it may fit.
I usually wear a medium, but this particular jacket ran a bit big on me so I only wore it once.
So, if you're on the small side of a Large, it may work.
Details are in this thread.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of old 120 flex lange RX shells in a 25.5 Can remove screws to soften them. Think those will work? No liners.

Free + ship

CYJ

Booting up
Skier
Hi @amyrose8, I've got some stuff below I'd be glad to send your way for free + shipping cost.

- Dalbello Krypton 130 25.5 boots. Shells still have plenty of life. May want to new liners. Might be too stiff, but it is a cabrio boot... I sold the softer tongue they came with to another skitalk member.
edit: Shells have had no work done, liners have been molded twice, hence my comment on the liners.
- Men's size medium gloves (one new, one used a few days)
- Oakley Canopy goggles with Pink lens (frames are new but lens are old but still working just fine)

Last edited:

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome

Hey, troop, glad to see you on here. Bummer on your first PCS, but get used to it. I'm going on two decades of these and I'm still breaking stuff and losing things.

First off, remember that you don't have to take the offer the movers are giving you for your stuff. They will try to lowball and hose you out of what they owe you. Push back and provide documents on what replacements will cost, as well as the age of your equipment. If they continue to lowball you, do not hesitate to get TRANSCOM claims involved as well as the local personal property office. If you're a new LT, this probably sounds like greek. Ask your 1SG or CO for help, they'll point you in the right direction.

Bottom line, don't sign off on compensation until you're satisfied. You have help, if you need it.

As for gear, most outdoor retailers in the ski industry are pretty friendly to us. Oakley and Smith will put you on a pro deal if you ask, highly reduced prices. Also, sign up for Outdoor Prolink and you'll find some good deals there, particularly with DPS and Liberty. Outdoor Research is fantastic, as well, as is Flylow and Helly Hansen.

If you need more help or have some questions you don't want to post in the open, fire them my way and I can hook you up on private message or pass you my .mil address. At the very least, I can point you towards the good deals out there.

Enjoy FCKY. Hopefully you're at Division and below, but I've got my biases...

Air Assault!

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have several warm ski jackets which have been lightly used. They are L or XL. Probably also some black ski pants in those sizes. However since I am only 5'1" the pants may be too short for you as they've probably been shortened

I can take some photos and send you a PM with the particulars.

James

Out There
Instructor
Back in the early 60’s, my parents took their car to West Germany. They sold it to a sgt who took it to Turkey and sold it for use as a cab. They then bought a small German car. When it was time to come back three years later the Air Force shipped the car and all the furniture they bought in Copenhagen. It is still in use today.
Several years later, they were driving up to Montreal Expo ‘67 and a Canadian cop stopped them. He just wanted to know what car it was, as he’d never seen an Opel wagon.
Everything went through Brooklyn, paid by the Air Force. Different world.

Sponsor

Staff online