• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Softer flexing directional skis - an endangered species?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
With Salomon introducing the double metal laminate Stance series it’s allowed the existing QST series to remain approachable. i think they’re fairly placed as directional skis, and while they’re not “soft”, they’re not stiff either.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Damp? I think you mean "stable". Damp = vibration absorption.
Sorry, but "damp" is exactly what I meant. A softer flexing ski will often vibrate way too much in uneven and crud, at speed especially- and thus get tossed.
Flap, flap. For me, a ski with a good suspension (whether soft flexing or stiffer) will dampen out the ride, thus increasing both edge and flat control of the ski, be much more stable, however rough the bump or crud/chop surface.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I think a big part of the problem is these two characteristics are often prized in the same ski. A high speed ski should be both, damp and stable. Kind of like how a tire that has a very high speed rating doesn't come with poor grip on dry asphalt. You won't find too many skis that are very damp at high speeds that aren't stable at those speeds.

Another thing to clear up is the how the side-cut radius of a 13 m SL ski will interact with every little imperfection in the snow surface and try to randomly turn a bit if you try and ski straight down the fall-line. An (old) antique 35 m SL ski didn't do that, but it sure did vibrate like a paint shaker on crack at 60 mph. Something a modern recreational SL ski like my Fischer WC SC has well under control.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Torsion is the twist around the long axis of the ski. Longitudinal is the long way, bending the location of the shovel with respect to the tail.
The torsional stiffness keeps the edge from washing out -- if the ski can twist, even when the part under your foot is at a good angle for edge grip, the ends of the ski can be at less of an angle to the snow. Only true beginner skis would be soft torsionally on purpose, to be forgiving of unintended edge engagement. Still, I have demoed some skis that felt "vague", which I interpret (rightly or wrongly) as not being stiff enough torsionally.

Being relatively soft end-to-end means I can ski a longer length but still absorb terrain irregularities. It also means it is easier to get the ski to bend into a carving arc on edge.

In the "old days" -- think 40 or 50 years ago -- it was difficult to design stiffness in the two directions separately That is much less of a problem these days. But I still doubt those "vague" skis were designed that way on purpose.

I suspect virtually all advanced skiers would agree torsional stiffness is a good thing. The length-wise stiffness is much more of a personal preference.

Sponsor

Staff online