• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sock drama

dx111

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone tried the Falke SK4 Compression socks?
Yes. Too thick a material in my opinion. I'm using Falke SK7 these days. Had boot liners foamed wearing these and cannot tolerate anything thicker in those boots

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Glad to hear I am not the only one who experiencing sock drama! I am allergic to wool and it seems every ski shop carries only wool socks! Years ago I wore Thorlo performance light wt socks. Then I found some nice thin socks with some shin padding from Under Armor. I really liked them but they are wearing out. Can't find those socks anymore so I am giving Thorlo another shot. Their web store had the nice thin ones on sale and I bought 5 pair. Trying them out this week up in Killington. Wish me luck!

Rick G

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to hear I am not the only one who experiencing sock drama! I am allergic to wool and it seems every ski shop carries only wool socks! Years ago I wore Thorlo performance light wt socks. Then I found some nice thin socks with some shin padding from Under Armor. I really liked them but they are wearing out. Can't find those socks anymore so I am giving Thorlo another shot. Their web store had the nice thin ones on sale and I bought 5 pair. Trying them out this week up in Killington. Wish me luck!

Rick G
A couple of other wool-free options I've come across... I like wool, so don't have these...

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the ultra lite euro socks. They are hard to find but they do stay put. I am definitely a goldilocks!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
2 pages of in the box thinking.

eBay is chock full of cheap thin non-wool socks from Chinese sellers - just go in the bike section and search for anti-drag socks.

Thinner than ski socks, silicone shin
grippers, often less than $10/pair, the only downside is multiweek delivery.

Of course if you go this route in October you will have a not enough drawers drama. :D

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier

Rick G

They've been mentioned already - but the ones to go for are the "Pro Fit Compression Nano Tour". No wool and my favourite.

Make sure to check their Fit guide for the nano tour specifically.

They do require you to turn the sock inside out over the forefoot - stuff your arm down the sock and... actually there's this at 50 seconds you can see him do it (with the compressive fit it would be majorly hassley to do in a 'normal' pull on fashion).

Review here

Petrus

Getting on the lift
Skier
I haven’t contacted them but they have been sold out for months now. I might see if a friend can snag some on the mountain for me over the Carnevale break but I can’t find them on any Euro retail websites Which is a bad sign.

Plenty of shops have the Mico Race.
They are not difficult to get if you ship them to Italy, shipping to USA might be a problem.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so I am giving Thorlo another shot

Also a fan of Thorlo. Simple, effective, fairly priced, and made in the USA.

I typically go from light to medium to thick (gasp) over the three-season life of a pair of liners, then buy new boots or liners and start over.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ordered both the Falke SK4 Compression and the SK5. Both are good, but I prefer the SK5. Thin, but with light targeted cushion in the right areas. The SK4 is slightly thicker and I didn’t feel much in terms of compression.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just tried the Fox River Bootfitter Elite Ultra Lightweights. Nice fit, enough stretch and warmth. At first thought, I thought the seams at the toes were going to be a problem. It worked out.
If you look at the symbols on the socks, they are designed to address bootfitter concerns.
Kind of cool.

Sponsor

Staff online