• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sock drama

Dolomitiskier

Putting on skis
Skier
I have very finicky feet and can only seem to wear one ski sock, these Mico extra light racing socks: IMG_0105.jpeg

I am back in the US now and need some new ones and can’t seem to purchase them here. I have tried both Darn Tough and Smart Wool ultralights but neither work for me. I need something that reduces friction. Does anyone know if these Falke are similar to the Mico?

TS
Dolomitiskier

Dolomitiskier

Putting on skis
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't compare but I have one pair of Falke that are my favorite socks. Very durable and I do like the left/right feature. @Tricia has the thin pair that would be more of a direct comparison.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm using Fox river liner socks right now in my skates and they're slippy. I want more grip. The search continues.

I'm using Bridgedale super thin socks in my ski boots..grippy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug is wearing a special sock designed by @Greg Whitehouse for Cal Ski Co made by Fox River, IIRC.
He also recently received a few pair for his birthday from Descente(spelling??)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the correct spelling is "$$$$$".

You also might have meant "Dissent": https://www.dissentlabs.com/pages/ski-socks-gfx-compression-high-performance
I have a pair of Dissent socks. They are compression type and, while once on I like them, getting them on is more than I wish to work on. If you have bigger calves, they can wear you out before you hit the slopes. They are very well made and quite comfy once on. If you need the compression, totally worth it. If you don't, maybe not so much.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey, they wrote a book about this!!

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 6.10.32 AM.png

"One need not be a skier to appreciate the uncomfortable inconvenience posed by discovering a wrinklein one's sock any sport especially when racing the clock to get dressed in time to catch the bus any bus! Doesn't help to have an impatient, big brother pacing in the hall, or a watchful Mom waiting downstairs. Includes fun rhyme and counting time!"​

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have very finicky feet and can only seem to wear one ski sock, these Mico extra light racing socks: View attachment 220198

I am back in the US now and need some new ones and can’t seem to purchase them here. I have tried both Darn Tough and Smart Wool ultralights but neither work for me. I need something that reduces friction. Does anyone know if these Falke are similar to the Mico?
The Mico website says these are sold out in Italy. Have you attempted to contact them directly, or are you at the stage where you are ready to move on to a new product?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I really like the "bargain" compression socks I found on Amazon. They're the Physix Gear Compression socks 20-30mmhg. The compression isn't crazy high (doesn't require as much work as CEP or Dissent) and they're ultra thin. It's my go-to sock for my plug boot fit setups.

I have tried a LOT of different compression socks, from the very high cost options to some of the lowest, and the Physix really gets it right. They're the correct length and the fit is perfect for me. I did size-down based on their sizing guide.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have very finicky feet and can only seem to wear one ski sock, these Mico extra light racing socks: View attachment 220198

Looks like different materials to me. Compare: https://www.mico.it/gb/shop/63-calza-ski-extralight-weight-x-race.html. Why not order online?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Looks like different materials to me. Compare: https://www.mico.it/gb/shop/63-calza-ski-extralight-weight-x-race.html. Why not order online?

LOL, if it's anything like my SIXS gear you'll pay 30 EUR for the sock and 40 EUR for the delivery, customs form preparation and signature service, then, because you weren't home for the signature service to work, you'll have to sign on online and change the delivery to a truck/DHL van depot, and then wait outside in the freezing cold to actually get the package from them 4 days later, taking time off work because of course that's the only time they're open.

TS
Dolomitiskier

Dolomitiskier

Putting on skis
Skier
The Mico website says these are sold out in Italy. Have you attempted to contact them directly, or are you at the stage where you are ready to move on to a new product?
I haven’t contacted them but they have been sold out for months now. I might see if a friend can snag some on the mountain for me over the Carnevale break but I can’t find them on any Euro retail websites Which is a bad sign.

Sponsor