• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Snowmass Blue-Sky Groomers Jan. 10-12, 2022

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
First trip to Snowmass this season, three days of cold blue skies and fast groomers. Although OpenSnow reports they are at 147% of average snowpack for this time of year, the Cirque is not yet open. Several of the recent snowstorms were accompanied by high winds, scouring the top of the cirque down to the rocks. AMF and Gowdy's, as well as Hanging Valley Wall, are open (that's where most of the wind-blown snow usually ends up). If I'd planned to ski that terrain this trip, I'd definitely have brought my rock skis (that's the area Vail outshines Snowmass the brightest- those red Vail sandstone rocks are friendlier to ski edges than Snowmass granite).

We only have 4 more days on our Ikon passes, will probably have to go in-the-red and buy a couple extra days when we go back in March. I'm starting to think that'll be worth it, based on the Epic horror stories I've been reading about a certain Discount Resort just to the north. (We do plan on skiing Vail and/or BC later in the season, will withhold additional flames until then) We only had one lift-line over 3 days (5 minutes at Elk camp, not sure if the lift had stopped) otherwise basically ski-on, even at the gondola with plenty of singles loading in the mornings.

The Cirque, from top of Upper Green Cabin off High Alpine lift. Normal Cirque access point from the Poma is the low saddle in the center.
1642127292612.png

I'm still in recuperation mode, as my jumbled-up insides reminded me every time I thought I'd try and test out some powdery crud, so the steeps will have to wait for me ..... Powder? Looks like we'll all be waiting for a couple weeks more....

AMF (in front of the peak) and Gowdy's (to the right) from the same spot- open, with a short hike from top of Big Burn, Cirque Poma not running yet. You could put the left side of this photo next to the right side of the one above, for a panorama.
1642127671704.png

Wide-angle GS turns on upper Green Cabin
1642127831414.png

Sponsor

Staff online