• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Snowbird vs Steamboat in early Jan

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
KingGrump- I went to the gathering thread from last season and didn't see what you were referring to.
I can shed some light on that. There was one evening after a day at Alta where the canyon road was closed for a few hours, then it took nearly two hours to drive down the canyon once it was open. And there was another powder day where the canyon was closed in the morning, and traffic was heavy. (That day I waited until traffic cleared, and went up around 10:00 I think.)

If you arrived very early (like an hour or more ahead of lifts opening, driving and parking on the other days was fine. But some folks who showed up later did hit some traffic delays on other days as well.

Steamboat snow could be similar or better at Snowbird? That's the opposite from what everyone else has been saying.
Steamboat gets great snow... just not quite as much or as often as Snowbird. So they're not far off of each other. So yes, it could be as good or better. But playing the odds says Snowbird would be better. I think that's borne out in the graphs above, where Snowbird is about 10 points ahead of Steamboat - not a huge difference.

TS
Z

zeak

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for both pieces of info. So maybe Steamboat makes more sene since I can get a nice 3 br condo at the base and not have to deal with shuttles/walking uphill at night at Snowbird, not to mention the potential of interldoge which i just learned about.

So my next question is if we're at Steamboat during Music Fest, how hard is it to get into places to eat dinner at the base restaurants? I assume/hope that the hill won't be too crowded, much like during Sundance. But if there are long waits for dinner and bars that's another issue. I can't get a sense for how crowded music fest gets.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for both pieces of info. So maybe Steamboat makes more sene since I can get a nice 3 br condo at the base and not have to deal with shuttles/walking uphill at night at Snowbird, not to mention the potential of interldoge which i just learned about.

So my next question is if we're at Steamboat during Music Fest, how hard is it to get into places to eat dinner at the base restaurants? I assume/hope that the hill won't be too crowded, much like during Sundance. But if there are long waits for dinner and bars that's another issue. I can't get a sense for how crowded music fest gets.
Hill and restaurants probably pretty busy. Might need reservations. There's a good casual chicken place in town: sort of like chikfila but with a bit more soul: called hypnotic chicken. Not cheap but much less than restaurants.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
there are plenty of restaurants within a 5 mile radius of the base. two excellent italian restaurants downtown. around Central Park area there are really good mexican and also steakhouses worth going to.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
KingGrump- I went to the gathering thread from last season and didn't see what you were referring to.

7:30 line up at the mouth of the canyon. Getting off the hill at 8:00 PM.

Hidden content.

Most read with a sense of positivity. Often shared the glowing enthusiasm of the writer. That's why marketing spiels are so effective. I generally like take a step back from the tree and look at the forest.
Learn to read between the lines. There are often mucho spaces between the lines and those spaces have content. Usually in a white font on a white background. In this post try changing the font color for the space between the first line and this paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
It looks like you are talking about the Texas music festival in early January. I checked with Ron and he said it doesn’t impact crowds very much. The caveat is to get out early before the Texans sober up and get out around 11.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
7:30 line up at the mouth of the canyon. Getting off the hill at 8:00 PM.

Hidden content.

Most read with a sense of positivity. Often shared the glowing enthusiasm of the writer. That's why marketing spiels are so effective. I generally like take a step back from the tree and look at the forest.
Learn to read between the lines. There are often mucho spaces between the lines and those spaces have content. Usually in a white font on a white background. In this post try changing the font color for the space between the first line and this paragraph.
Sure, there were a couple of bad drives (and one truly horrendous return trip, the scariest of my life). But most of them were fine. I expected the early start to beat the traffic so it didn't upset me. On balance, still worth it. (Though I won't deny that other trips when I was able to stay up the hill were truly deluxe!)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure, there were a couple of bad drives (and one truly horrendous return trip, the scariest of my life). But most of them were fine. I expected the early start to beat the traffic so it didn't upset me. On balance, still worth it. (Though I won't deny that other trips when I was able to stay up the hill were truly deluxe!)

Early start, WTF? :ogcool:

Love skiing the Bird, but it is not worth the pain and aggravation of the last section up 210 everyday.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Steamboat also has some new steeper lift served terrain this year. It’s still not like Snowbird but it’s more interesting than it was.

FWIW we take our kids to Steamboat because not all of them could safely ski Snowbird. The Boat might be less affected by Ikon crowds too.

dm
It's not less affected or maybe I should say substantially less affected.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
1698851232865.png
there was much rejoicing! drink yourself sober on that 3.2 garbage.

strong beers u can get direct from the Local brewery or the State Liquor store. Finally able to get normal beer at a 7-11

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
oh and there is absolutely nothing to do at Snowbird other than ski . and if you stay in the Valley by the base of the cottonwoods you have great choices but if it snows its become a nightmare getting up the ski areas. I suspect its gonna be even worse this year after our record winter.

Sponsor

Staff online