• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird : Food Questions

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
HI All -

I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone again for all of the incredible tips, tricks and advice regarding Snowbird in my other thread. Everything has been invaluable and my wife and I are even more excited for our trip in early February!

If you don't mind, I do have a few more questions.

We have made dinner reservations at various restaurants ahead of time to be safe. What is proper attire? I know that may seem like a silly question but when looking at pictures online along with the prices on the menu I can't help but wonder. If this restaurant were in Boston, I would normally throw on a sport coat, dress pants and a pair of Allen Edmund's. However, I'm hoping 'just skied all damn day and you're lucky I even had the energy to throw pants on' attire is acceptable but figured I'd ask anyway.

Additionally, we are staying at Iron Blossam so the suites do have a full kitchen. Depending on how beat we are, we may end up cooking in a night or two. I do see a general store on premise but how well stocked is it? Enough to throw something together for dinner? What about any luck with instacart/any grocery delivery service? I understand delivery could be a 'no-go' based on snow but I'd have to imagine they do deliver based on how may condos there are.

I am planning on offering our shuttle driver from the airport a worthwhile tip $$$ to stop off of at grocery store on our way up the canyon but that depends on how many other passengers we have with us. We're getting in @ 10am from the East Coast so hopefully not many others as early as us.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you, all!!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
après gear is fine. as long as you arent in ski boots it is probably acceptable.

there should be enough options at the store to make due. but this depends how picky you are.

If you are set on a grocery stop you should call canyon transportation and ask. it is definitely thing to stop for groceries. but it is better that you talk to them and get it arranged rather than just asking people to change plans to accommodate you as you show up.

Especially a 10am arrival, there is a good chance people are going to value getting up to the slopes asap, as that's a half day on the slopes.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
In general, I've never been called on my attire in a restaurant while skiing. Now I typically wear jeans, hiking boots and a decent golf shirt or sweater. So not total slob. These are restaurants where I've paid $50 for a steak without sides. I think behaviour is more noticed than attire.. if they insisted I wear khakis or dress pants I'd simply go somewhere else. I wore that crap for thirty years, I'm not doing it on vacation too.

As for shopping, we typically do hit a grocery store and buy some prep food that we can throw in the fridge for a few days. I'd try that route with the shuttle guy.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The food at Snowbird.... big surprise... is overpriced. SeventyOne was overpriced and small portions.

That being said, the italian restaurant was really good (I forget the name of it), but took a shuttle over to another lodge to get there.

as well as The Steak Pit... I believe at the Steak Pit there is a ground hog (or something like that) that visits the restaurant every day and the staff feeds it.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Any decent clothes will suffice and as @raytseng said make your grocery stop plans ahead of time. As to the "market" there it doesn't have much outside of a few frozen foods for dinner. So depending on your level of desire to eat in it's probably best to arrange for that grocery stop unless hot dogs and mac and cheese is OK with you (would be for me for a night anyway).

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Wildflower in the Iron Blossom is a regular spot for us while it’s open (December-April) and drive up from SLC if we aren’t already there skiing.
Happy hour offers half priced pizza and maybe a couple entrees. There is a bar side and a restaurant with the restaurant requiring a reservation. I’ve worn jeans; ski pants, and to my wife’s disappointment, sweatpants after skiing
I’m up to ski most weekdays and some weekends. Send me a PM and I’ll offer some grocery options

TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Hi All-

Thank you very much for the replies! Basically aligned with what I had thought but just wanted to double check.

@raytseng , GREAT point! Didn't think of that so that may throw a monkey wrench in things. In any case, when I call Guest Services today to provide them my flight information for Shuttle pickup, I'll ask them how many others we'll be with. I"m assuming folks in the shuttle will also be staying at the resort in which case I"m hoping they'd too see the benefit of stopping off on the way up the canyon.

It is pretty crazy how steep food prices are at Snowbird. It is vacation so I have no problem with the prices but some of the menu offering certainly don't align with the prices lol

@jmills115 thank you so much! I'll be shooting you a PM!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're getting in @ 10am from the East Coast so hopefully not many others as early as us.

You'd be surprised how many east coasters take an early flight to Utah and arrive in time to ski half a day at LCC or BCC.

The general store at Snowbird, as I remember, would have a variety of items enough to cook several different dinners, albeit, as mentioned above, you'll be paying a little more than your typical super market.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't remember food being that expensive, especially last time i stayed if you were staying on resort you flashed your hotelcard and they took a discount. And i remember the store being fine with enough items.

For grocery stop yea definitely let them know. If snowbird is arranging your shuttle you can certainly ask them, but I believe they will use canyon transport. so if you want to be sure your request is in, you may want to do a follow-up direct call to canyon once snowbird puts your request in.
I don't understand why you're asking about how many people are on the shuttle and where they are headed and other peoples travel plans,
if that is not something that you actually care about. You do not to be to be so roundabout as if this is illicit deal like a speakeasy or stopping for drugs.
If you want a grocery stop, just directly put in a request for a grocery stop.

That being said, maybe you want to do first day halfday instead too?

Last edited:
TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
I don't understand why you're asking about how many people are on the shuttle and where they are headed and other peoples travel plans,
if that is not something that you actually care about. You do not to be to be so roundabout as if this is illicit deal like a speakeasy or stopping for drugs.

What an odd and inane comment. Caring about others' plans is precisely the entire reason I'm curious about how many others as I don't want to disrupt or inconvenience anyone. I was told stopping on the way depends passengers, time and other factors.

And what if I do want to stop for drugs? Let me live.

That being said, maybe you want to do first day halfday instead too?

I don't like doing half-days on arrival days, hate being rushed. I like to get in, situated, have a pipe and put a dent in a nice bottle of bourbon.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is pretty crazy how steep food prices are at Snowbird. It is vacation so I have no problem with the prices but some of the menu offering certainly don't align with the prices lol

You are a captive clientele up there. I remember the steak house was decent as well.
IMO Mexican at Cliff was best. Steak house 2nd. Iron Blossam italian 3rd. Pizza place 4th. We picked up eggs and cheese and bacon, etc. at store in main lodge. Limited and pricey as you might expect.

I rented demos from some place on the tram plaza. They had the skis I wanted to try and were convenient.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are relying on the store, don't forget no alcohol sales on Sunday!
I had to make pink risotto once when we were out of white wine.

TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
If you are relying on the store, don't forget no alcohol sales on Sunday!
I had to make pink risotto once when we were out of white wine.

Wow, thats great to know! Thank you! We'll be sure to stock up on Saturday then :) May even throw a bottle in the suitcase just in case.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am interested in demo-ing some skis while I'm there. What shop is better - Creekside or Cliff?

Both the shops at The Cliff and Creekside are limited. Best bet is Christy Sport at the tram plaza as Crank suggested.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You'd be surprised how many east coasters take an early flight to Utah and arrive in time to ski half a day at LCC or BCC.
This would be my main reason to book a flight that got to SLC at 10AM. I would be more than a little annoyed if I was informed after boarding my shuttle that we were stopping for groceries. That being said I also probably wouldn't rely on a shared ride in that situation.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have never tried to ski the day I came in to SLC. Most times I've been I take a late flight back to NY and can easily ski all day then relax and eat dinner before heading for the airport.

Reactions: Ogg

Sponsor

Staff online