• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires/wheels for my Tiguan

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I was very sad to learn that my Blizzzak W580s and wheels won't fit on my tiguan so those will be on the market soon. They were on my Crosstrek and were 16" so I'm not surprised. Tires don't have much too much life on them left but the wheels are in great shape.

I've got 20" tires on my R line and I'm getitng different answers for what size snows I should put on them.

My SO is sticking with 20"s (he has the same car) but I went down 2 sizes with my crosstrek.

I had W580s on my Subie so looking at the W590 for my tiguan but they only seem to come in 18's...

Thinking of this combo. I'll poke around in 19" and 20" tires to see what I find but I really like the blizzaks so that means 18"

BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS90​

Studless Ice & Snow

1701116302201.png

SPORT TUNING ST8​

1701116523776.png

Here's what she'll look like

1701117704157.png

If I stayed with 20" I can get BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 which are rated well. I can actually get those on close out but then they kill me with the wheels.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 2020 Tiguan came with 17" rims. I was extremely lucky that my previous vehicle (2016 Mitubishi Outlander) had the exact correct size, so I put the snows from that vehicle onto the stock Tiguan rims and upgraded to 19" wheels for summer use. As I have mentioned, that increase in wheel size made a substanial difference in the feel of the car. You probably won't give up too much going down to 18's.

BTW, using the buying guide on Tire Rack, they don't list the WS90 as a tire available in the correct size??

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My 2020 Tiguan came with 17" rims. I was extremely lucky that my previous vehicle (2016 Mitubishi Outlander) had the exact correct size, so I put the snows from that vehicle onto the stock Tiguan rims and upgraded to 19" wheels for summer use. As I have mentioned, that increase in wheel size made a substanial difference in the feel of the car. You probably won't give up too much going down to 18's.

BTW, using the buying guide on Tire Rack, they don't list the WS90 as a tire available in the correct size??

The WS90 comes up when I build a winter tire package and choose the 18" option. Seems this tire isn't available in 19 or 20".

BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS90

Studless Ice & Snow
https://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterTireCompare.jsp?minLoad=XL&sortSize=18&snowSortCode=10478&autoYear=2023&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoModel=Tiguan+4MOTION+R-Line+Pkg&autoModClar=255/40-20&winterType=AB&startIndex=0&search=true&performance=W#

Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
Compare
Tire Rack Tested
$216.99Per Tire

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting...when I look at the available sizes for the tire, it shows 235/50-19, which is the recommended "minus one" size for the vehicle. And the available 18" is an "alternate" size, not the "recommended" size. But the tire does not come up when I do a "package" for either wheel size, although other Blizzak models do. Strange...

Is the "factory standard" size correct for your car?

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just compiled the below and sent to my tire guy. Going to see what he can do for pricing, etc.

20" TIRES

Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV | 235/45R20 (tirerack.com)
Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV for 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20
The X-ICE SNOW SUV is Michelin's Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for drivers of vans, sport utility vehicles and light-duty pickups looking for confidence in winter's many different road conditions, throughout the life of the tire. Whether it's clear, cold winter...
www.tirerack.com

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 | 235/45R20 (tirerack.com)
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 for 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20
The Blizzak DM-V2 is Bridgestone's Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of pickup, crossover and sport utility vehicles looking for enhanced grip in slush, snow and on ice. Designed with a focus on ice traction and braking, as well as wet road handling and...
www.tirerack.com

20" Wheels

Rial Lucca Gloss Black Painted (tirerack.com)
These are unattractive to me, I like more chrome in there as you'll see from my 18 and 19" choices
Rial Lucca
Fits 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20. And you can see how it looks right on your vehicle, right on the screen, too!
www.tirerack.com

19" TIRES

Vredestein Wintrac Pro | 255/45R19 (tirerack.com)

Vredestein Wintrac Pro for 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20
The Wintrac Pro is Vredestein's Performance Winter / Snow tire developed for drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and high-powered crossovers and SUVs. Designed to provide confident control and maximum grip in cold, dry and wet conditions plus sure-footed traction in snow...
www.tirerack.com

Michelin X-Ice Snow | 255/45R19 (tirerack.com)
Michelin X-Ice Snow for 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20
The X-Ice SNOW is Michelin's Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for drivers of coupes, sedans, minivans and crossovers looking for confidence in winter's many different road conditions, throughout the life of the tire. Whether it's clear, cold winter roads; deep, heavy snow; or any...
www.tirerack.com

19" WHEELS

RADIUS WI23 Machined w/Black Accent (tirerack.com)
RADIUS WI23
Fits 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20. And you can see how it looks right on your vehicle, right on the screen, too!
www.tirerack.com

18" TIRES

Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 | 245/50R18 (tirerack.com)
Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 for 2023 Volkswagen Tiguan 4MOTION R-Line Pkg 255/40-20
The Blizzak WS90 is Bridgestone's Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for drivers of sedans, coupes, minivans and crossovers looking for confident control in a variety of difficult winter weather. When winter driving conditions are at their worst, Bridgestone's Blizzak WS90 winter...
www.tirerack.com

18" WHEELS

Sport Tuning ST8 Machined w/Black Accent (tirerack.com)
Sport Tuning ST8
www.tirerack.com

One could spend all night on this stuff. I'm now leaving the rabbit hole. My tires/wheels will be one of the ones listed above.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks. Thinking of going to the 18 or 19s for my snows. I like the wheels better. That aside everything I'm reading says a little smaller tire is better handling in the snow. It's very hilly and snowy where I am.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Smaller wheel size is usually better so you can get a narrower tire. That's the conventional wisdom, but I've seen data to the contrary. For me the biggest advantage besides a typically lower price is more sidewall in case I slide and hit a curb.

If you are considering tires other than Blizzaks, I can recommend Pirelli Sotozero 3. Compared to the X-ice tires my wife's car typically had, we felt they were more sure-footed in nasty conditions. And they definitely wear MUCH better then Blizzaks

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Go with 17" with 215/65r17,

I would buy used wheels, so that you can reuse the stock lug bolts and not have to worry about hub centering rings and likely cone-seat lug bolts.

I bought my used Lexus RX wheels through Santa Ana Wheel since I'm local to them.
But it's cheaper to go through ebay with them.

Or while Neuspeed wheels are lighter.... they use will the stock lug bolts, no centering ring required and can use the stock center caps.

With Blizzaks: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=165TR7WS90&tab=Sizes

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
We liked the X-Ice more than Blizzaks. Trying Michelin Alpin performance winter this season, but we are in a different climate and alternate between snow and no snow a lot and we need run-flats. Had Sottozero as well, on a different vehicle. Not that great but not bad either.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We liked the X-Ice more than Blizzaks. Trying Michelin Alpin performance winter this season, but we are in a different climate and alternate between snow and no snow a lot and we need run-flats. Had Sottozero as well, on a different vehicle. Not that great but not bad either.

I'm intrigued by the X ice as the ratings are even better than the blizzaks.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure you carry a seat of the stock lug bolts in your car, should you get a flat tire. Cone seat lug bolts don't play well with a ball seat on the spare wheel

Yup, and the correct lug wrench (or adapter) for the cone seat nuts.

Always reminding myself to put those two things in the glove compartment of Mrs. K's Element every winter.

Even if you're inclined to call AAA for a flat, because you just never know.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yup, and the correct lug wrench (or adapter) for the cone seat nuts.

Always reminding myself to put those two things in the glove compartment of Mrs. K's Element every winter.

Even if you're inclined to call AAA for a flat, because you just never know.
Fortunately, back when I had aftermarket wheels that took cone seat lug bolts for VW's, it used the same socket size (iirc 17mm), but the VW lug wrench is almost useless.

These days, I keep a 1/2" drive breaker bar with the appropriate socket in the trunk of my car.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife drive a Tiguan, Sailun Tires for winter on steel rims with VW caps (pricey but looks good).

Sailuns winters are actually very impressive in ride, grip and handling and lot cheaper than brand names. Considering winters wear lots two sets of Sailuns to one brand name.

Steel rims why, well winter is pot hole season, and bent rims are common along with road salt, steel will take a beating and when you bend one or when one rusts out, you replace it and don't cry too much.

Sponsor

Staff online