• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires sparingly in the summer?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I ONLY use snow tires on my truck: Hankook iPikes.
I am looking for winter tires and had the Hankook iPikes on my radar but with a 350' goat trail dirt driveway in winter, I am now considering Cooper Discoverer M+S on/off road snow tires for my truck camper which will be my daily driver this winter. The tires will stay on in summer as I will only use the truck camper to attend a blues festival or two.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had good luck with Cooper tires, both the Discoverer True North snow tires, and the CS Touring tires for the rest of the year.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
^^^ Wow, nice to out here in the wild wild west. I (legally) left my studs on my truck this summer. Between COVID and it being an extra vehicle I hardly drove it.

I only drove my truck in the mornings when it's cooler to preserve the tires. It was mostly for truck stuff so better for me too since it was such a hot summer.
A few years back (so could be out of date) I looked up the rules for some of the states I could conceivably be driving to. These are the dates studs are allowed.

* Montana: Oct. 1 - May 31
* Nevada: Oct. 1 - April 30
* Utah: Oct. 15 - March 31
* Oregon: Nov. 1 - March 31
* Washington: Nov. 1 - March 31
* Wyoming: Legal all year
* Colorado: Legal all year
* Idaho: Oct. 1 - April 15

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blizzaks WS and DM series uses their Multicell compound for about the first half of the tread depth. I wouldn't purposely try to wear them out in the summer, and hope that you're still good in the winter.

The multicell compound is what gives Blizzak WS/DM series their good magazine performance tests, underneath is just a high-silica winter compound that doesn't have the tech of the Multicell compound, so performance is reduced in the white stuff.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am looking for winter tires and had the Hankook iPikes on my radar but with a 350' goat trail dirt driveway in winter, I am now considering Cooper Discoverer M+S on/off road snow tires for my truck camper which will be my daily driver this winter. The tires will stay on in summer as I will only use the truck camper to attend a blues festival or two.
FWIW, I ran unstudded Cooper M+S on my XTerra year-round when I lived in Red Lodge. The only time I got properly stuck was in the spring, trying to recover a Jeep Wrangler on highway tires from an unplowed Forest Service road, and I did a fair bit of stuff that a better-equipped vehicle would've probably been a good idea. They felt a bit squishy in the summer, but I put so few miles on the rig, Overall, I felt like the tradeoff for those tires was worth it (a bit less so the XTerra, which seized up, but that's another thread).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have been thinking about putting snow tires on my GMC. I have been looking at a few different brands, Bridgestone Blizzak, Cooper True North, and Falken Eurowinter 449. Consumer Report gives very good rating to the Falken Eurowinter 449 and they even give them a better rating than the R 3's. Does anyone have any history with the Falken Eurowinter tires?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been thinking about putting snow tires on my GMC. I have been looking at a few different brands, Bridgestone Blizzak, Cooper True North, and Falken Eurowinter 449. Consumer Report gives very good rating to the Falken Eurowinter 449 and they even give them a better rating than the R 3's. Does anyone have any history with the Falken Eurowinter tires?
Eurowinter is a "performance" winter tire. And I doubt they have GMC truck sizes, but they may have sizes for the Terrain.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Eurowinter is a "performance" winter tire. And I doubt they have GMC truck sizes, but they may have sizes for the Terrain.
I checked the Falken web page and they do have the size but they are not rated for the weight of my vehicle. Looks like I will go back to looking at the Cooper Tires. Thanks.

Sponsor