• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skis recommendatio for 8 yr old

D H

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
we are located in the east coast and have skied mostly in groomed or icy conditions. powder is hard to come by.

My son has gotten quite good at skiing and he's been skiing in mostly single black diamond and sometimes double black diamond if condition is good. I was told that his skill level is 'advanced' (by instructors during private lessons) but he definitely doesn't ski like those kids in racing team.

My son's been skiing with 110 with 70 waist beginner skis that I purchased two years ago. He is about 53 inches/75 pounds.
I recently picked up K2 Pinnacle skis (139 with 84 waist) because instructor told me that his skis are a bit small (and I saw one on sale)

We tried them last weekend and he absolutely hated it. He said it was trying to go too fast when he carves and he can feel every bumps. He wasn't having any fun.

I think it is a bit too big for him although I was purchasing for next season with an assumption that he'd grow two inches.

What skis should I be looking at for my son? Perhaps something like 125 with 70 waist?

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
For that age, you should consider season leases, they will allow you to swap out if a ski does not work for your kid. Depending on whether you want used or new equipment, it can cost about $125-$180 per season. If you ski in New England, these leases commonly come with a free full season pass to either Bretton Woods or Waterville Valley for the kid. Around here, leased skis are usually in the 70-75mm range.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The pinnacles are a little too long. You can find a nice barely used set for around $200. The ski shops around the mountains sometimes have a good selection. We did the Bretton Woods thing for a few years it's the best deal around if you are interested in going to that area from NY.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Absent any information like how many days he skis, where he skis (New England is a big geography area), who he skis with, the lease is a great way. Also absent your location, there many stores offer good equipment to accommodate young skiers. I used to lease skis and boots from a popular store in Bergen country NJ that offered the Volkl RTM Jr which is a fine product. Not sure what is wrong with the K2 but any reputable store can your son into a good ski for next year.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
we are located in the east coast and have skied mostly in groomed or icy conditions. powder is hard to come by.

My son has gotten quite good at skiing and he's been skiing in mostly single black diamond and sometimes double black diamond if condition is good. I was told that his skill level is 'advanced' (by instructors during private lessons) but he definitely doesn't ski like those kids in racing team.

My son's been skiing with 110 with 70 waist beginner skis that I purchased two years ago. He is about 53 inches/75 pounds.
I recently picked up K2 Pinnacle skis (139 with 84 waist) because instructor told me that his skis are a bit small (and I saw one on sale)

We tried them last weekend and he absolutely hated it. He said it was trying to go too fast when he carves and he can feel every bumps. He wasn't having any fun.

I think it is a bit too big for him although I was purchasing for next season with an assumption that he'd grow two inches.

What skis should I be looking at for my son? Perhaps something like 125 with 70 waist?

My son is also 8 and a strong skier. Similar height to your son, but maybe 15 lbs lighter.

For this year, he’s on Faction 1.0 135cm, 79mm waist. He loves them. He’s skied everything from icy north east groomers to waist deep powder on them this year, and they’ve been great everywhere. I’m sure a narrower waisted ski would work better close to home, but he’s not getting a quiver yet.

These skis are well built with a wood core, but not so stiff that he can’t flex them easily. Highly recommended!

6E68946E-9B1E-4BFC-9DD9-6281DCD8607B.jpeg A2FEAA61-3B6D-4F01-9B5B-8E110BA1DC88.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The kid went from 110/70 to 139/84. The weight alone is a big change, not to mention the new skis are taller than he is! If I switched to 26% larger skis I'd be on 231s.

Kids are all different.

My 60 inch tall boy was fine with 58 inch skis with adult bindings.

My daughter who was about to turn 10 absolutely hated her brother's old 128 cm mantras. Switched her back to some narrower cambered 128 cm with pretty colors and she's skiing better than ever. They're up to her nose.

How about the boots?

TS
D

D H

Skier
yes he's new skis are taller than he is. i was wondering whether it is wider width or length or stiffness. (or perhaps he is not as good as I thought he was)

I will probably try to lease it somewhere so i can easily take it back. for your information, we ski mostly in central PA (roundtop, liberty, white tail)

Since they were recently bought by Peak resort, we will probably start skiing in Hunter Mtn (we are in NYC during holidays) next season.

TS
D

D H

Skier
as for boots, he has one that he used for two years. he may need new one next season.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hope it works out! Bet he'll be ripping the K2s in a couple years.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
yes he's new skis are taller than he is. i was wondering whether it is wider width or length or stiffness. (or perhaps he is not as good as I thought he was)
Skill is a factor when considering ski length, but a secondary one. Skis designed to go fast in a straight line are longer than those designed to turn quickly. On softer snow you may want greater length for more float and stability. That K2 ski is designed for softer snow and a bigger kid. Your son is probably too light right now to bend it properly, he will grow into it. With that waist width it will always be a softer snow ski however it is nicer to ski soft snow on a wider ski, so keep it for that.

Ski leases usually include boots.

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey DH
FWIW my son is seven (8 in may) he’s
50” and about 65 lbs in ski gear.
He spent this season on a
123ish blizzard rustler jr and it seems like a great fit.
He skis fast and all over the hill and these were enough to hold an edge on ice but soft enough to flex in the bumps and woods without bucking him around.
You can find with a binding for $185-200

Sponsor

Staff online