• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis for my wife

Jasmap

Booting up
Skier
My wife has been on Volkl Kenjas for a couple of years and she's just not in love with them. The last few years she's relaxed her skiing quite a bit and she's primarily on groomers now and rarely charges hard anymore. She's an intermediate and is 5'5", 125 lbs. What are some skis to look at for her that maybe I've missed?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some great options that will give you what she liked about the Kenjas but now not nearly as demanding, the first one that comes to mind is the all new Rossignol Experience 88W, power with a bigger sweetspot. If she wants to go down a notch or two...the Dynastar Legend 88W and the K2 Alluvit. There are some viable options too if she wants to go narrower too, the Experience 84W, Legend 84W, K2 Endless Luv and the upcoming (soon to be released) Liberty VMT 82 for women. Lots of real good choices.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The most popular ski for intermediate to advanced woman skiers at the demo centre where I work is the Head Total Joy. 85mm wide, very light weight and very versatile for groomers and fresh snow..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some great options that will give you what she liked about the Kenjas but now not nearly as demanding, the first one that comes to mind is the all new Rossignol Experience 88W, power with a bigger sweetspot. If she wants to go down a notch or two...the Dynastar Legend 88W and the K2 Alluvit. There are some viable options too if she wants to go narrower too, the Experience 84W, Legend 84W, K2 Endless Luv and the upcoming (soon to be released) Liberty VMT 82 for women. Lots of real good choices.
I can't add much more to this, except maybe the all new K2 Tough Luv.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Black Pearl 88 really seems to resonate with a lot of intermediate-advanced frontside-favoring skiers - regardless of whether they're east coast, west coast, heavier or lighter. Imagine the cult-like following of the Head Monster series, except it's the most popular ski in the women's market and that's a pretty good gauge of the fan-girl status. Just start thinking about how to differentiate the skis on the ski rack.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Black Pearl 88 really seems to resonate with a lot of intermediate-advanced frontside-favoring skiers - regardless of whether they're east coast, west coast, heavier or lighter. Imagine the cult-like following of the Head Monster series, except it's the most popular ski in the women's market and that's a pretty good gauge of the fan-girl status. Just start thinking about how to differentiate the skis on the ski rack.
The Black Pearl 88 is not only the best selling women's ski, its the best selling ski (both men and women) in specialty shops world wide.
But based on the description of the OP, I think something more carve specific is better. If we're talking about a Black Pearl, she's going to be better off with the BP 78, which was formerly known as the Cheyenne.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
And, if it were my wife, does she like the color and graphics. I swear, it would make a difference in her opinion of how it skis.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
OP didn't say where they ski.. but for east/west front side carvers I'll add::
Black Pearls 88's are a sweet ski, do anything, everything, HUGE "sweet spot"
For tighter turns Blizzard Viva series are excellent carvers. 7.4's were a blast .
Atomic makes some excellent carvers in their Cloud Series.
The Cloud 12 is a tuned down Race ski (was the cloud 11 last yr) the lower the number in the cloud series, the less demanding the ski.
The Atomic Vantage series are also nice front side skis in the smaller waists, the fatter skis also are nice for western skiers.

So many great skis out there- I hope she gets to demo.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some great skis have been mentioned above.

If she's been on Kenjas, and at one point really enjoyed them, but they just don't suit her new-found skiing style, consider the Yumi. Narrower, less demanding, but still can be found plenty stable, especially with their newer construction.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Yumi is a great choice for mellower skiing on groomers, Very user friendly. Also consider the Head Super Joy (76 waist). Very light, easy to ski, but excellent edgehold and quite versatile (quite good in bumps, ungroomed, and a bit of fresh). Many of the skis mentioned above are excellent, but a ski with a waist less than 80 will be more groomer oriented and easier to maneuver than a wider ski (like the otherwise excellent Black Pearl).

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
And, if it were my wife, does she like the color and graphics. I swear, it would make a difference in her opinion of how it skis.
Makes a difference in how *she* skis. Entirely possible that happy neurotransmitters make her brain work better, which could make her body work better. Some things are crazy, and some things are just crazy enough to be true.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Makes a difference in how *she* skis. Entirely possible that happy neurotransmitters make her brain work better, which could make her body work better. Some things are crazy, and some things are just crazy enough to be true.

So, maybe it’s a matter of taking notice what skis have caught her eye, and this is the wrong place to be. If it were my wife, we’d be in the shop and I’d be taking note of which ones she dwells on, even by eye. Then, I’d help her with sizing for purposes of demoing. Stiffer ski, shorter. Softer ski, longer.

The Good Wife likes her shortish Black Pearls. Way too much ski for her on paper. Oh, the bonus points only started ringing up after I suggested looking at new boots. Yup, they look good with the skis. And, so furry!

Edit: if she were reading this, I’m not sure if she would roundly admonish me, again, for being sexist, or pat me on the back... or both

TS
J

Jasmap

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the info. I keep up with men's skis but I sadly haven't been keeping up with women's skis.

We ski out west (CO, UT, WY, Tahoe, NM, AZ), I forgot to mention that. I wasn't detailed enough in my post. I started reading more and more from what you all have mentioned and looking into other skis also. I'm leaning towards getting her to demo a few sets such as the Black Pearl 78, Volkl Yumi, Head Super Joy, and maybe another one or 2 others. I'm hoping the variety will help her feel which style she wants.

If this helps, she wants a very light ski and she'll primarily be cruising groomers. She liked the Kenjas but she was never in love with them. Now she just really wants out of them. She feels they're harder to turn than other skis she's had and feels they're too heavy.

I appreciate all the help so far! Any and all input is appreciated.

TS
J

Jasmap

Booting up
Skier
Oh and yeah she's pretty freaking good looking. Way hotter than what I deserve. Haha! But we already know the guys at the ski shop we go to so they're likely not going to cut her a hotness deal anymore. Lol

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If this helps, she wants a very light ski and she'll primarily be cruising groomers.
You're on the right track with the Black Pearl 78 and Super Joy. If you want a more serious carving ski, the K2 Luv Machine 72 Ti can't be overlooked.
IMG_0040.JPG

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was going to suggest the newer Yumi too with the titanal band. It's a nice dialed down version of the Kenja. Not as stiff and demanding but still feels like a Kenja lite. So I guess it depends what she didn't like about the Kenjas? I loved my Kenjas, they just didn't love me back at 5'1" and 100 lbs.

Sponsor

Staff online