• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis for daughter

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Starting to look for new skis for my daughter. She's 9 (almost 10) and 5 feet tall (153cm), 95 pounds (43.5kg), so big for age. Current ski is Volkl Pyra Jr, in a 138. Skied about 20 days last season, mostly in the Tahoe area. About a level 6.

The Pyra Jr comes in a 148, but I'm thinking it'd be healthy to get something different. Any thoughts on K2 Remedy/Shreditor 75 Jr (I assume they're the same ski just with different graphics)? I've heard good things about the Volkl Yumi and I noticed it comes in a 147 but she's probably a bit young to be on a women's ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm. Maybe the Yumi for the next ski. The Rossi Smash7 and and the Head Ethan are two good choices. This is a ski @Alexzn will have some good options since his daughter an up and coming Tahoe freerider skied.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Those two phil mentioned and add the Mantra Jr.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yes, my daughter loved the Head Ethan Too, she skied on them when she was 11 and then again at 13 (in a longer length of course). It's a serious ski, she never complained about it being inadequate for freeride comps, but as far as I can tell it is also not hugely demanding. From my point of view they have a few distinct qualities: wood core, enough to last for a few seasons, traditional camber in addition to some rocker up front (I'm not a fan of a full rocker in kids' skis), and unusually solid construction. The whole Head Jr line is fantastic, my younger daughter was on Heads (don't remember the model, unfortunately) her last year of Mighty Mites and loved them too. She has very different taste from her sister (this one turned out to be a racer and loves nothing more than to point it), so the Heads are not just a one-trick pony.

TS
peterm

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks all, very helpful. I'm leaning towards the Smash 7. Kind of ruled out the Mantra Jr because I think it's profile is similar to the Pyra, i.e. no camber. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I would like to get her on a ski with some camber this time around. I noticed a slight lack of dynamic movement in my daughter's skiing and want to rule out the ski as a contributing factor - it's probably not the ski, but no harm in mixing it up. Heck it's probably just because she skis with her parents (bad influence) too much!

The Ethan sounds cool, but based on everything I've read I suspect the Smash is a tiny bit better suited to an intermediate. Plus the Smash is a cooler color :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks all, very helpful. I'm leaning towards the Smash 7. Kind of ruled out the Mantra Jr because I think it's profile is similar to the Pyra, i.e. no camber. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I would like to get her on a ski with some camber this time around. I noticed a slight lack of dynamic movement in my daughter's skiing and want to rule out the ski as a contributing factor - it's probably not the ski, but no harm in mixing it up. Heck it's probably just because she skis with her parents (bad influence) too much!

The Ethan sounds cool, but based on everything I've read I suspect the Smash is a tiny bit better suited to an intermediate. Plus the Smash is a cooler color :)
Smash and it's sister the Sassy7 can be had for $199 on line now. For that, it is a great option.

Nicole Swanson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you for the info as I am in the same boat. Have a just turned 13 year old...rode the Pyra's in a 138 the last 2 years. She is on the smaller side but tearing up the mountain (Alpine) with confidence. She can ski anything pretty darn well as long as she can get an edge. Fun having kid ski buddies now!
Will check out all those mentioned, as she get's new skis for her b-day.
Any additional just let me know.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, we had Sassy's at the Tent Sale for 199.00 and the Smashes were 249.00 Not sure about the difference in price other than the buyer may have gotten a better deal on one over the other.

Sponsor