• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AJRSki

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm finally getting my wife on skis this season!

She's 29, 110 lbs, 5'4. She's skied only once, but she's committed to learning this season.

What skis would you recommend for a newbie?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I would suggest something in the 75-80mm waist. At 5'4 if traditional camber no longer than 150.

What's available locally? And don't forgot boots. That is where to spend money!! If the feet aren't comfortable, she won't be out there!!

TS
A

AJRSki

Skier
Boots are
I would suggest something in the 75-80mm waist. At 5'4 if traditional camber no longer than 150.

What's available locally? And don't forgot boots. That is where to spend money!! If the feet aren't comfortable, she won't be out there!!
Boots are definitely the first purchase. I’m taking her to get fitted tomorrow.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I would find a resale shop or seasonal rentals. Rosi temptations or similar would work well.

TS
A

AJRSki

Skier
I'm leaning toward the Blizzard Cheyenne. What would be the best length for her weight and skill?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would buy a used ski. It's too bad you missed the ski swaps. Afton had a amazing selections and serious deals.

If she's serious about getting going skiing I'd buy new boots first and have them heat molded for her feet and just rent this season. Then buy skis next year at the swap. Boots are far more important for comfort and control. My wife didn't 'love' skiing until I bought her new boots and had them fitted.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Do they still have Hoigaards there? Looks like they do.. I'd start there for beginner or intermediate gear. More dedicated race and freestyle gear tends to be found at smaller shops that specialize in one or the other..

For the MN sized places you can keep it under 80mm in the mid 70s range. There is never enough fresh snow allowed to be skied ungroomed at those smaller places to where anything over 80mm waist would be useful... especially for a beginner. More experienced skiers can hike for turns and cut through the woods to make the most of wider skis up that way..

http://hoigaards.com/

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Dwight posted a link to the Volkl Flair 73. That sounds like a great choice. "...a great ski to get the hang of the sport with. Intermediates too would enjoy cruising on trails with a pair of these. They have a forgiving flex because of their composite core. That composite core keeps them light so they're easy to maneuver. Adding to that ease of maneuverability is their sidecut that is based around a narrow width underfoot." All important to get started right. Forgiving flex, because she'll be giving the skis inputs that she doesn't yet know she's giving them. Skis that are too responsive will take her for an unintended ride. The tight turn radius will be a big help to her at the slow speeds she'll start off at. The narrow waist will be easier for her to get on edge for both wedge and beginning parallel turns. There are other makes & models that offer these same attributes, but this sure sounds like a good one. The Atomic Cloud 7 seems also a good possibility, maybe better than the Elan Waveflex 76. Any will be a great starter ski.
https://www.skimag.com/gear/volkl-flair-73-2017

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Dwight posted a link to the Volkl Flair 73. That sounds like a great choice. "...a great ski to get the hang of the sport with. Intermediates too would enjoy cruising on trails with a pair of these. They have a forgiving flex because of their composite core. That composite core keeps them light so they're easy to maneuver. Adding to that ease of maneuverability is their sidecut that is based around a narrow width underfoot." All important to get started right. Forgiving flex, because she'll be giving the skis inputs that she doesn't yet know she's giving them. Skis that are too responsive will take her for an unintended ride. The tight turn radius will be a big help to her at the slow speeds she'll start off at. The narrow waist will be easier for her to get on edge for both wedge and beginning parallel turns. There are other makes & models that offer these same attributes, but this sure sounds like a good one. The Atomic Cloud 7 seems also a good possibility, maybe better than the Elan Waveflex 76. Any will be a great starter ski.
https://www.skimag.com/gear/volkl-flair-73-2017

Yes, Flair is good.
B1C83864-615E-49D1-AB9B-B9E635FDFA97.jpeg

Sorry - could not resist.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure how I missed this thread but....
I'm finally getting my wife on skis this season!

She's 29, 110 lbs, 5'4. She's skied only once, but she's committed to learning this season.

What skis would you recommend for a newbie?
I'm leaning toward the Blizzard Cheyenne. What would be the best length for her weight and skill?
I would steer away from the Cheyenne for a skier at that level, and focus on something that is fully cambered.
In my experience, a beginner skier can get into trouble with the slight amount of rocker in the flip core series.
If you're looking at Blizzard, think compliant and cambered
Take a look at this ski Quattro 8.0 CA
http://www.skiessentials.com/2017-blizzard-quattro-w-8-0-ca-women-s-skis-w-tcx-12-bindings.html
Or the Volkl Flair 73 that Dwight suggested.

Don't get me wrong, the Cheyenne is a fantastic ski but it won't do her any favors at the level she's skiing and will likely get her frustrated really quickly.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The resale shop I"m at has these, Nordica Olympia Mints for $180. Might be able to do less.

@Tricia what do you think?

20171128_155914.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online