• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing with broken rib?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I stack hard and felt a sharp pain on my side. But when I got back up, the pain was mostly gone. So I continued skiing, didn't think much of it. The next morning, I could barely get out of bed.

Then the snow melted. So I rested for 3 weeks. In that time, the pain got worse, :geek: then slowly got better, but still too slowly for my expectation. So I finally went to the doctor.

Doctor ordered an x-ray. But told me not to worry about it too much even if the ribs were broken. They heal by themselves anyway. I asked specifically, if it's ok to ski again, IF the snow comes back. Doctor said it's ok, except "it'll probably hurt more if you fall again". That's not too surprising. 30 years back, I hit a tree and broke 2 ribs. The doctor said more or less the same. (only I asked about mountain biking instead of skiing, got the same answer. Being young then, I took the doctor's advice to heart and went zipping around trees without a care! )

x-ray confirmed 2 broken ribs (5th & 7th).

So it's now 4 weeks. The pain had gotten much better. And... the snow is back! (we just had a "big" storm in the northeast)

My (non-skiing) friends are all horrified that I could puncture my lungs if I fall again! But the doctor(s) don't seem to think that's a concern. Unlike my younger self, I now have borderline osteoporosis. And with age, I've grown a bit more risk averse.

I don't fall much on skis. Maybe only a couple times each SEASON. Would I be so unlucky to fall this time? And even if I do fall, the doctor(s) maybe right that nothing bad would happen. On the other hand, I love skiing in the woods. And with the new storm, the woods are again skiable! So there's a non-zero chance of involuntary close encounter with a tree.. (though still a low chance)

OK, would you ski if you were me? Especially from you oldies ;)

Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Doctor says its okay. Friends (presumably not doctors) say its not okay. Who has more credibility and expertise? I know what I'd do (and what I have done in the past), but this is a personal decision.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
I watched a guy in his early 60s ski from February through March with a broken rib last season. He was taped and one arm was in a sling. He told me his Dr. Did not know about it.

This year he is skiing on one ski the same February into March time-frame. Bum knee.

Guy and his old brother are still doing daffys, spread eagles, and monster backscratchers at the bottom of zipper lines. So they are on the right tail of the bell.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have broken ribs 7 times in the last 16 years. Divided between cycling, skiing and roller skiing.

The times I have gone to the doctor, the advice has been the same as yours. Not really a big additional risk of puncturing lungs or total collapse of chest if I would fall again. But it would hurt like hell to slam the chest into the ground. Think of the worst pain you have when getting out of bed or coughing and magnify by 15X or so ;-)

Ski if it gives you joy, especially if you are able to dial back so that another bad fall is not likely. Recovery moves can also be really painful, so stay well within your limits. Have been able stay active during all of my 7 episodes and have (ab)used painkillers to be able to continue to do the things that gives me joy. That’s ok for acute stuff, but don’t do that with stress fractures.:doh:

Stay healthy. Getting some kind of cough is not fun. Stay warm, shivers is not good either. Once got really cold while following the kids to xc ski race on a cold day. Was extremely tired afterwards. Shivering is like constant uncontrollable micro-coughing. Don’t put yourself in that situation.

After 4 weeks it should probably be well on it’s way to healing. In my experience it has usually stopped hurting after 6 weeks. One time it didn’t, went to the doctor and he told me that the it was not uncommon to be in pain for up to 12 months :geek:, but luckily it then stopped hurting after 9 weeks or so.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Ski if it gives you joy, especially if you are able to dial back so that another bad fall is not likely.
That's really what I was having in the back of my mind, now that you elaborated and brought it up front. I wasn't too worry about falling, because that's really quite unlikely if I were just cruising the groomers. But I know if the woods are open, I'd be drawn into it. :geek: (Unfortunately, eastern skiing isn't super interesting without woods or moguls)

Recovery moves can also be really painful, so stay well within your limits.
Haven't thought of that! Will have to see how it goes then.

Fortunately, coughing doesn't hurt much. I know, I've got a head start already. ;)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skied a couple of different holidays with a broken rib.

Personal decision but I'd listen to your doc and stop listening to medically untrained ppl whether known personally or on the internet. And also back off quite a way.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
And if you fall despite all the extra care, try to fall on the other side.
:roflmao:

Don't know what it is. But I'm definitely "biased". When I fall, I fall way more often on one side than the other. Thing is, that's my dominant side. Most of my ski falls are on that side.

(I only realized it when I look at my test result from the hospital. I forgot I had another x-ray 3 years back. Back then, it was only bruised. But it mentioned it had an existing "healed fracture", obviously the one from years back. Also on that same side! :geek:)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last time I had cracked ribs an abdominal wrap helped me sleep a little better. I turn over a lot in bed. I wear wone when my lower back cystic nerve stuff acts up too. I'd ski blues and easy blacks if the pain wasn't bad. Getting hit with the chair would hurt more than casual skiing..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting hit with the chair would hurt more than casual skiing.
When I had badly bruised (or broken? who knows) ribs the hardest part was leaning forward to shift my weight so I could get off the chair at the top.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Fortunately in my case, the pain had gone down significantly (it's week 4). So baring some "recovery move" aka hailing cab, it's probably not a problem. If pain stops me from enjoying skiing. I'll of course go home. That's not the end of the world either.

I'm slightly more worry about me forgetting about it and go full speed ahead into the woods. :geek: Then what could happen if I lose it in there. ;)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
cracked rib

Got corrected one time when skiing with a doctor buddy. Cracked ribs aren't. They are either broken or not. Doesn't have to be broken clean through to be classed as broken. Doc's words, not mine.

it's week 4

Ppl heal at different rates - my own experience is that it typically takes around 3-4 weeks for a healing rib to harden to the point where it's not painful for normal activity. Can still be painful if doing something unusual - even lying on a side for a time or physically loading that area - so simply best to back off the skiing to not crash.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Broke a rib in December, took four weeks off and started again. Midway through March I can still feel that everything isn't 100%, especially if I cough when lying down. I think that's more cartilage and other connective tissue than the actual rib itself. It's also still a bit tender to the touch, again not the rib itself.

If the doctor doesn't seem to worry and you're comfortable doing it I'd be hitting the slopes even if you have to dial it back some

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ppl heal at different rates - my own experience is that it typically takes around 3-4 weeks for a healing rib to harden to the point where it's not painful for normal activity. Can still be painful if doing something unusual - even lying on a side for a time or physically loading that area - so simply best to back off the skiing to not crash.
I was hit from behind (HARD) on Monday and cracked 4 ribs. Not too much pain on Monday night and Tuesday, but by Tuesday night, holy mother of God. After an X-ray in the ER, doc confirmed the broken rib diagnosis and said no more skiing for 4-6 weeks.

Pain doing most daily motions right now is intense.

I highlighted part of your quote above because I wasn't skiing to crash. I was skiing slowly, on the edge of the run, back to the lodge at the end of the day. I didn't break my ribs on the bump runs, or trees, but by a collision from the rear by another skier at the end of the day.

So yeah, it's easy to say "ski easy" or "ski not to crash" but it's a lot harder to control others. Especially the ones you don't see behind you.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was hit from behind (HARD) on Monday and cracked 4 ribs. Not too much pain on Monday night and Tuesday, but by Tuesday night, holy mother of God. After an X-ray in the ER, doc confirmed the broken rib diagnosis and said no more skiing for 4-6 weeks.

I highlighted part of your quote above because I wasn't skiing to crash. I was skiing slowly, on the edge of the run, back to the lodge at the end of the day. I didn't break my ribs on the bump runs, or trees, but by a collision from the rear by another skier at the end of the day.

So yeah, it's easy to say "ski easy" or "ski not to crash" but it's a lot harder to control others. Especially the ones you don't see behind you.
Ya the first couple weeks are absolute misery. Same story, I skied another hour and a half.. Got the boots off and in the car for the 3 hour drive home. Getting out of the car.. Oh oh! Then the next morning holy sh!t!! By the 3rd week I was back to doing light activities.. But not 100% for closer to 7-8 weeks.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Managing speed is a tricky thing. It's generally safer for me to ski faster, but still within my control limits. That way it's like everybody else is skiing in slow motion and it's easier to get out of their way and avoid them. Just like driving in poor visibility in a snow storm, you can for sure go too fast and that's not good, but going too slow is also a problem.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Yep. If you are on a run with lots of folks it isn't just skiing the contours, its skiing the people and predictive movements based on where they can possibly get to at their rate of speed. But sometimes you just got to draw the brakes. Unlike the idiots who run into people. Somebody slammed a snowboard instructor at a SL resort a little while back and bailed leaving the guy with a broken back. No joke. Plenty of full on kooks at the resorts. I hope all your ribs heal well and protect your noggins.
Managing speed is a tricky thing. It's generally safer for me to ski faster, but still within my control limits. That way it's like everybody else is skiing in slow motion and it's easier to get out of their way and avoid them. Just like driving in poor visibility in a snow storm, you can for sure go too fast and that's not good, but going too slow is also a problem.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going slowly, but not TOO slow. :) (Maybe too slow for you, Francois, but entirely appropriate for the environment). I also was nearly in the trees, not near the middle of the run. I certainly was quite a bit speedier than most folks. Telling someone who is in quite a bit of pain and who just lost the rest of their ski season that it was their fault (especially when you weren't there) because of their "slow speed" doesn't sit well with me.:rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online