• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing the same day I put bindings on skis

GabriGlider

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all. I just got my first skis. Dynastar Mfree 99 with Tyrolia Attack 14. Snow season hasn't started yet here in South Spain (Sierra Nevada if you want to search it) and I dont have the bindings mounted on the skis. I dont know what to do. I call to some shops, and they tell me that once they put the bindings on, its good to wait maybe for a day or so the glue that goes with the screws can dry at 100%. Others tell me that once they put the bindings on the skis, I can go skiing without waiting anything.

What do you recomend me? What is your experience?
Thanks,
Gabriel,.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've never heard of waiting to ski after a binding mount.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just get them mounted and don’t tell the shop you’re going skiing right after. Save yourself the conversation.

It’s not like the glue is structural. It’s helping to keep water out, and acting as loctite, to help keep the screw tight.
So… how about avoiding pond skimming the first day?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If there is any concern at all, set them upside down after skiing so any water from the melting snow doesn't settle in to the screw holes where the glue may still be curing. That glue will be mostly cured within an hour anyway though.. 24 hours to fully cured, but I'd ski it right after mounting.. By the time you drive there, find a parking spot, get your boots on, etc.. you're good to go..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The only time ^that advice actually mattered in my experience was with air-core XC skis; the screws were set with very liquid epoxy and the skis had to rest upside down at 15C or higher for 24 hours.

Otherwise, I just go ski.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Since it is basically wood glue, you are fine. :) Wood glue, clamp for about 30 mins, and continue with the project. Skis, mount and go ski.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
no problem. It’s traditional to mount swapped SKIS on the tailgate of a truck in the parking lot. Enjoy your new skis.

Sponsor

Staff online