• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skiing near Milan?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the roads are clear, its less than 2.5 hrs drive to Martigny, in winter you have to use the Grand Saint Bernard tunnel as the pass is closed.

It’s pretty straight-forward to get over to other valleys. Drive to Frachey, and from there take the funicular followed by 2 chairlifts up to the Colle Bettaforca. From there, you can ski down to Staffal. If you want to go over to Alagna, you take 2 gondolas up to the Passo dei Salati. Keep an eye on the wind, if the winds are too strong they have to close the lifts. It’s a long taxi ride from Alagna to Antagnod.

You don’t have to worry about steep black runs, because there aren’t any. This is the black that runs from the Passo dei Salati down to Alagna.

James

Out There
Instructor
You don’t have to worry about steep black runs, because there aren’t any. This is the black that runs from the Passo dei Salati down to Alagna.
What about the “freeride paradise” in Alagna?

TS
N

Nola Mike

Booting up
Skier
So just discovered bormio

Looks like a cool town, thermal spas would be appreciated. Huge vert.

So bormio v antagnod?

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Hopefully this question can add to this thread.

Ignoring high end fine dining, is the food usually better at the Italian mega resorts or at the smaller less touristy ones?

If I ever make it to Italy, I think I'd prefer ma and pa homestyle Italian Alps cooking more than eating at a place that sees a thousand people a day and just cranks out the orders. That said, I've seen a lot of Dolomites trip reports where the food looks fantastic. So I guess the question is... Is the food even better at smaller resorts like Antagod, Alagna, or in the Aosta Valley (or similar)?

Here in North America, any tourist destination is going to have generally underwhelming food unless you really pay through the teeth. This is one reason our gang likes going to SLC... Better food and better prices in the city. It does look like the Dolomites and other mega resorts do a much better job than over here... But again, does it get even better out of the busy ski areas?

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh WOW - that run is going on the list

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Bormio is great. Make sure to actually ski all three parts: Bormio itself (where the Worldcup run is - very much a sporty vibe), San Colombano (the quite bit with local ski clubs and just a very relaxed atmosphere) and Santa Caterina with its glacier-like back bowl.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-27 om 15.02.38.png

TS
N

Nola Mike

Booting up
Skier
Bormio is great. Make sure to actually ski all three parts: Bormio itself (where the Worldcup run is - very much a sporty vibe), San Colombano (the quite bit with local ski clubs and just a very relaxed atmosphere) and Santa Caterina with its glacier-like back bowl.

View attachment 222917
Have you been to both places?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
What about the “freeride paradise” in Alagna?

The OP specifically mentioned black runs, the freeride paradise run from the top of the Passo dei Salati - Punta Indren lift down to Gabiet is off piste. In 2021 the Italian parliament passed a new law governing skiing (DECRETO LEGISLATIVO 28 febbraio 2021, n. 40) https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2021/03/19/21G00047/sg Article 26 Para. 2 states that: Individuals engaged in ski mountaineering or off-piste skiing or hiking activities in snowy environments, including by means of snowshoes, where, due to snow and weather conditions, there is a risk of avalanches, must equip themselves with appropriate electronic signaling and search systems, snow shovel and probe, to ensure appropriate rescue action. I wouldn’t have thought that the OP is planning on bringing avi gear.

Is the food even better at smaller resorts like Antagod, Alagna, or in the Aosta Valley (or similar)?

Not really, there are some good restaurants in the Aosta valley resorts, but in the in general the food tends to be a bit rustic https://aosta-valley.co.uk/discover/food-wine/ The food in the Dolomites is much better.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Edit 2: More interesting info "Tourists may also use their valid American driver’s license if accompanied by an official translation in Italian."
That’s exactly what an international driving permit is. It verifies that you have a valid license and translates it into 10 or so different languages. Very easy and cheap to get. In the US you go to AAA to get one.

TS
N

Nola Mike

Booting up
Skier
Yes I have been to all three parts.
I meant champoluc vs. bormio.

The OP specifically mentioned black runs, the freeride paradise run from the top of the Passo dei Salati - Punta Indren lift down to Gabiet is off piste. In 2021 the Italian parliament passed a new law governing skiing (DECRETO LEGISLATIVO 28 febbraio 2021, n. 40) https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2021/03/19/21G00047/sg Article 26 Para. 2 states that: Individuals engaged in ski mountaineering or off-piste skiing or hiking activities in snowy environments, including by means of snowshoes, where, due to snow and weather conditions, there is a risk of avalanches, must equip themselves with appropriate electronic signaling and search systems, snow shovel and probe, to ensure appropriate rescue action. I wouldn’t have thought that the OP is planning on bringing avi gear.

Not really, there are some good restaurants in the Aosta valley resorts, but in the in general the food tends to be a bit rustic https://aosta-valley.co.uk/discover/food-wine/ The food in the Dolomites is much better.
Definitely not bringing avi gear. I'm not sure what the european definition of "off-piste" is. US there's a definite difference between "out of bounds" skiing and "not groomed/maintained". And I'm certain I'll find some good food. At least it won't be british food.

That’s exactly what an international driving permit is. It verifies that you have a valid license and translates it into 10 or so different languages. Very easy and cheap to get. In the US you go to AAA to get one.
Not quite the same. But yes, I got one and it took about 10 minutes and $20.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure what the european definition of "off-piste" is. US there's a definite difference between "out of bounds" skiing and "not groomed/maintained".
You need to read up on that and understand it.

In Europe, off-piste and out-of-bounds are often the same thing. I.e. anything at all off-piste, not groomed, is out-of-bounds and considered back-country. There are no North American style "resort boundaries". And if you're out-of-bounds/off-piste, you can also need to have bought insurance to pay for any rescue or patrol assistance, or you'll be billed. Others with more familiarity can probably help with particulars on that.

The usual recommendation if you're going off-piste (off the groomers) is to hire a guide (which can be fairly affordable), and have/rent avy gear.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Yes, I have both skied the Monterosa area and Bormio. Very different places. Champoluc/Monterosa is rougher terrain-wise, with more of a high alpine off-piste adventure vibe. Bormio has more of an Italian sophisticated, perfectly groomed racy vibe. And Bormio is a much nicer town to stay.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier

In Europe, off-piste and out-of-bounds are often the same thing. I.e. anything at all off-piste, not groomed, is out-of-bounds and considered back-country. There are no North American style "resort boundaries". And if you're out-of-bounds/off-piste, you can also need to have bought insurance to pay for any rescue or patrol assistance, or you'll be billed. Others with more familiarity can probably help with particulars on that.

The usual recommendation if you're going off-piste (off the groomers) is to hire a guide (which can be fairly affordable), and have/rent avy gear.
Here are two threads on that difference between America vs Europe when it comes to off-piste skiing:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not quite the same. But yes, I got one and it took about 10 minutes and $20.
From AAA: “Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don't.” :huh:

Potato potahto. But ultimately, who cares! You’re covered. Have a great trip.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier

View attachment 222917
Bormio - outstanding food and relaxing thermal springs, On windless blue bird days, Santa Catarina is outstanding for off-piste skiing. Agreed with previous posters. It worth hiring a guide. If you are interested, I can make a few suggestions (IFMGA guides). And the Refugio’s offer amazing food at Bormio and Santa Caterina.

Last edited:
TS
N

Nola Mike

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I have both skied the Monterosa area and Bormio. Very different places. Champoluc/Monterosa is rougher terrain-wise, with more of a high alpine off-piste adventure vibe. Bormio has more of an Italian sophisticated, perfectly groomed racy vibe. And Bormio is a much nicer town to stay.
This part sounds more like alagna as far as off piste? So where is the groomed skiing better, and is it *much* better or a little better?
Done, thanks. Never even occurred to me that there would be that big of a difference. I'd possibly be up for this at another time. One of my kids might be up for it, but it would be too much for the other. So I'll now say that I'm sticking to on piste.

Bormio - outstanding food and relaxing thermal springs, On windless blue bird days, Santa Catarina is outstanding for off-piste skiing. Agreed with previous posters. It worth hiring a guide. If you are interested, I can make a few suggestions (IFMGA guides). And the Refugio’s offer amazing food at Bormio and Santa Caterina.
I like outstanding food (though for this I'd like more rustic/traditional), I only saw the one thermal spring in Bormio?
As mentioned above, looks like I'm staying on piste.
Here are two threads on that difference between America vs Europe when it comes to off-piste skiing:
Helpful, thanks

Ok, you guys have been great. So I think if I can get these questions answered, I'll (finally) be able to make a decision:

So Bormio vs. Champoluc:

1. Is the on piste skiing significantly different between the two? It looks like both have enough variety to keep me entertained for 5 days, and neither will be super challenging. So I'll be enjoying long runs, variety, and scenery, which is fine.
2. Are the towns different enough that you'd definitely choose one over another? Like I said, I'd like good but simple food and a couple of decent pubs and restaurants. Won't be a party animal.

Right now, the accomodations that I got in Antagnod look nicer than Bormio. Has a gym, sauna, hot tub, which would be good for my wife. Bormio has the thermal springs, which should even that out I hope.

So given all of that info, you guys that have been there, which would you choose?

EDIT: Bormio it is!

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. The Aosta Valley is way too close to France for good food. ;)

Haha!

Indeed, we were in the Aosta valley Last year, and ate wonderfull food. Note not “Italian” food that people think of in the US, but the same is true for the Dolomites. The regionality of culture and cuisine is what makes Italy great.

Aosta valley is great for sightseeing, full of castles, and the town is wonderful, with lots of Roman buildings/ruins.

Lots of little ski lift areas, and some big ones.

we only did ski touring, but here is the trip report:

Reactions: JCF

Sponsor

Staff online