• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski words

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski words

Is anyone else interested in looking up the etymology of words?

Ski: related to Old Norse skið "long snowshoe," literally "stick of wood, firewood," German Scheit "log," from Proto-Germanic *skid- "to divide, split,"

from PIE root *skei- "to cut, split." which forms all or part of: conscience, schism, shizo, shin, shit, shiver, shyster

Sanskrit chindhi, chinatti "to break, split up;" Greek skhizein, Latin scindere, Armenian c'tim "to tear, scratch; Old Irish sceid "to vomit, spit;"

Carve:

Middle English kerven "to cut,"

from PIE root *gerbh- "to scratch," making carve the English cognate of Greek graphein "to write," originally "to scratch" on clay tablets with a stylus.

Snow:

from Proto-Germanic *snaiwaz

PIE root *sniegwh- "snow; to snow" (source also of Greek nipha, Latin nix (genitive nivis), Old Irish snechta, Irish sneachd, Welsh nyf, Lithuanian sniegas, Old Prussian snaygis, Old Church Slavonic snegu, Russian snieg', Slovak sneh "snow").

The cognate in Sanskrit, snihyati, came to mean "he gets wet."

Ice:

from Proto-Germanic *is- "ice" of uncertain origin; possible relatives are Avestan aexa- "frost, ice," isu- "frosty, icy;" Afghan asai "frost."

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I find the origin of all English words interesting.. I think it's basically 1/3 French, 1/3 German and 1/3 Scandinavian..with some Old English/Celtic words sprinkled around. Very interesting and explains why English is such a terrible language! :ogbiggrin:

TS
D

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
I find the origin of all English words interesting.. I think it's basically 1/3 French, 1/3 German and 1/3 Scandinavian..with some Old English/Celtic words sprinkled around. Very interesting and explains why English is such a terrible language! :ogbiggrin:
[/QUOTE
You are right, English is terrible but also fun. I used to wonder about the Marker Schizo binding, it doesn’t exactly inspire the confidence I would expect from a piece of equipment that should be safe and reliable, but now I suspect there is someone at Marker who also enjoys these word games, especially since they also came out with the Squire binding which is from the same root but makes no sense otherwise. ( schizo may also refer to the bindings dual purpose but come on, Marker!)

I also learned that if I say “I ski like shit” I am uttering a redundant sentence.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think it's cool that there are still languages that don't use the Anglo/Scandi loanword - like lyža, smučka, narta, suksi

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wonder what the Western Chinese called skis?
That could make a cool name for a model of skis from somebody.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Ninguid and niveous

Maybe we could encourage their adoption in resort snow reports

"It's a very ninguid day on the hill today"

Punters - sounds bad, let's not go up
Lexicographers - woohoo powder day!

Sponsor

Staff online