• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Travel Bag or Tube

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have used the tube (single) and a double bag. I much prefer the bag for all the reasons already stated.

Gnarvin

Putting on skis
Skier
I use the SportTube double and have been very happy with it and wouldn’t change to a bag. The SportTube has saved my skis at least once when the airline crushed in a corner of the tube but the skis made it with no damage. I fit a pair of Enforcer 100s and Enforcer 110s in it with no issues and it comes in under the 50 pound limit.

It is kind of a pain to pack it but overall once I got used to it I can get it all packed up pretty quickly. TSA seems to check it every flight but they put it back together fine.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bag, and I like simple, sturdy and made by the "little guy". I've been pounding Glissade bags for over 20 years. Still look nearly new. glissade.com

I have to say some of the more burly versions with wheels also look appealing, as the years pile up on the old body. Kulkea, Evoc, etc.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Bag, and I like simple, sturdy and made by the "little guy". I've been pounding Glissade bags for over 20 years. Still look nearly new. glissade.com

I have to say some of the more burly versions with wheels also look appealing, as the years pile up on the old body. Kulkea, Evoc, etc.
Your little guy makes a nice but very basic bag that costs 30% more than the Evoc bag I just ordered. So at $260 for a double ski bag with no wheels I have to pass. Was able to find the Evoc Snow Gear Roller in XL at 10% off with free shipping so $180 instead of $200. Exited to try it out as it looks to have all the features I need plus space for likely 3- or pairs of skis plus a lot of gear. Will be easy to travel with two pairs by plane or ship 3-4 pairs ahead when going on family vacations. Yes I know first world problems everyone in my family now wants to travel with 2 pairs of skis and hauling everything by car or plane has become unfeasible :eek:

Current solution get big ski bag and ship some skis to the destination vs. get new big a$$ car and even bigger big a$$ rooftop box and take everything with us. For some reason I think the shipping is going to be the more feasible of the two ... again very much a first world problem.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your little guy makes a nice but very basic bag that costs 30% more than the Evoc bag I just ordered.

Yup, made in the USA quality is seldom cheap, but I've long been at the point in life where I subscribe to what my good friend best summarizes as "buy nice or buy twice"!

Current solution get big ski bag and ship some skis to the destination vs. get new big a$$ car and even bigger big a$$ rooftop box and take everything with us. For some reason I think the shipping is going to be the more feasible of the two

I get that approach, but........one more thing to check off on the departure list while trying to get out of Dodge.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had a cheap-o soft bag that I was looking to upgrade. Air Canada forced my hand with their hard-case requirement on a flight from Vancouver to Calgary a few years ago so I ended up with a SportTube. I've been mostly happy with it but I only travel with one pair of skis. If I was traveling with two, I'd probably want a soft case mainly because of the weight penalty of a double SportTube. And the dumb thing is I don't think the Air Canada reps could have cared less about the case on either leg. They didn't look at or even weigh it or my boot bag.

dovski

Skier
Yup, made in the USA quality is seldom cheap, but I've long been at the point in life where I subscribe to what my good friend best summarizes as "buy nice or buy twice"!

I get that approach, but........one more thing to check off on the departure list while trying to get out of Dodge.
All for buying local, and will pay a premium for that, but also looking at features and functionality to meet my needs and unfortunately a basic carry bag just does not meet those needs. As for the shipping, understand that we are a family of 5 and traveling with 10 plus pairs of skis plus all our gear is just not feasible, especially now that two of my kids are skiing on adult size skis. Simply put shipping a few pairs of skis a week before we leave is the simplest solution, and only something we do when we are going somewhere were there is a chance for deep POW days. So definitely doing this for our Snowbird/Alta trip in Feb, but not doing this for our Spring skiing trip to Banff. As I said before very much a first world problem, luckily shipping only costs about $70 for 3 pairs of skis, and I can include some liquid paraffin in the bag as well as other items we cannot easily fly with, so actually not a bad deal.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Used a Sporttube 2 with great success for years and have a 3 on the way for the next trip. It is a pain to pack but you get used to it pretty quick and then it’s no big deal. Add another +1 to the list of endorsements. They’re legit.

I like the way the Sporttube packs skis, rubber bands hold the brakes and you stack a pair bindings in, tip to tail so the bottoms of the skis are out and flat against the walls of the box. I’d like to think this provides more protection for the skis. Poles fit fine and I guess in theory you could put more stuff in the box but we don’t.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
+3 on the Douchebag. I have used mine for 5 years and it is holding up well. I can easily pack all my gear in it and love that it rolls up.

dovski

Skier
So my Evoc Snow Gear Roller in XL just arrived and at first glance I am impressed. The bag is incredibly well made with lots of extra padding to ensure ski gear does not get damaged or scuffed in transit. It also has some very useful pockets and straps. Love the inline skate wheels which are significantly better than the wheels on all my other ski bags and tubes. Tons of room in this bag to easily fits 3-4 skis plus additional ski gear, and useful outside pocket just for Avi gear. The other thing I love about it is the weight, while the website said it was about 8 lbs the actual bag feels closer to 5lbs. It also has some well positioned straps that make it easy to fold up, strap together and store. Will give everyone another update after my first trip with it.

Go West Skier

Booting up
Skier
Go with a bag. It tried Sportube... clumsy, more space to store when empty, and a PIA to pack and slide the tube together. Mine also split on the seam of the mold. I cant even count the number of flights with a bag... never have skis been damaged, easy to roll up/fold and store when empty and way lighter which helps with the 50lb weight limit. I currently have the Thule.

johnb

Booting up
Skier
Question. Is there any reason I can't use a 6 or 8 inch diameter pvc pipe with screw end caps. Then put that pipe in my soft ski bag and use it for plane travel?

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
For two pairs, a Thule roller or similar is the best way to go. I carry on my boots so no boot bag to make the 50 pound limit. Two pairs of skis (Kendo, ranger 102) with some clothing to add extra padding come in about 45 pounds. I put my helmet in the main clothing suitcase and carry on boots, shell jacket and shell pants in a small roll-aboard suitcase. I also carry a small backpack with travel necessities as a personal item. I will never fly with my sportube or transpack again, but the tube does have a lot of cool stickers on it.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Question. Is there any reason I can't use a 6 or 8 inch diameter pvc pipe with screw end caps. Then put that pipe in my soft ski bag and use it for plane travel?
Maybe if you're using irrigation (Class 200) PVC pipe, but Schedule 40 in that diameter would super heavy, and Schedule 80 would be ridiculous. If you do go with PVC, why bother with a bag? Should be easy to make a carrying harness on your own.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
8 inch schedule 40 PVC is 5.4 lbs per foot.... so for 190cm your looking at 33.7 lbs. Probably closer to 40lbs with caps/straps/etc. Now put in your skis and you have pushed this over the 50lb bag limit and you have a $100+ surcharge for a single pair of skis both directions. PVC at that diameter is also probably what $200 for a 10' stick?

I'm all for creative DIY projects but seem it would make much more sense to just buy the ski tube that costs less over just one flight trip, securely attaches your skis, has integrated carrying straps, and weights less than a single foot of PVC.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Has anyone used the Steamboat Cases tube?

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone used the Steamboat Cases tube?
Can’t say I have. Seems similar to my sportubes. I have a 1 and 2. Plus the back back we’ve been talking about in the other thread that easily attaches to the tube to make one unit.

Attachments

• IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Can’t say I have. Seems similar to my sportubes. I have a 1 and 2. Plus the back back we’ve been talking about in the other thread that easily attaches to the tube to make one unit.
All that talk has me thinking about flying for one of my trips next winter and only driving once. The Steamboat version is $100 less than Sportube but after reading this thread I'm mow thinking about the Dakine double roller bag with room for most of my clothing.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
All that talk has me thinking about flying for one of my trips next winter and only driving once. The Steamboat version is $100 less than Sportube but after reading this thread I'm mow thinking about the Dakine double roller bag with room for most of my clothing.
I get all my Sportube products from Sierra. They’re One-Oh-Something atm but they restock fairly often and they sell them cheaper than everyone else. We’ve bought two single tubes. One was $84 shipped from them. My double was $129. Got the two back packs onsale for $49 each.

johnb

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the replies. I will see if the light weight pipe makes sense. If not, I will just buy a sport tube or similar.

Sponsor

Staff online