• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Travel Bag or Tube

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Binding marking up itself and other top sheet if it were to fall off the luggage cart and suffer hard impact. Yeah, I know, tools not jewels. The triple ski bag I bought to transport two parrs of skis has straps to keep skis in place and padding in between. It had a built in boot bag IIRC, but I never used that Boots go in carry on.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I get all my Sportube products from Sierra. They’re One-Oh-Something atm but they restock fairly often and they sell them cheaper than everyone else. We’ve bought two single tubes. One was $84 shipped from them. My double was $129. Got the two back packs onsale for $49 each.
This is good to know. One of our Sportubes just got crunched by SW. Skis are OK, pole was bent, we now have a $300 SW travel voucher.

AJB

Booting up
Skier
Sportube is clunky and is not the easiest to lug around, however with $3k+ (have double and carry Kendo and Redster typically) worth of gear I’ll deal with the hassle. TSA will open the tube up so I recommend you make it easy for TSA and any Baggage handlers by marking your tube so they know exactly which hole to use to secure based on the length of your gear. Used daughter’s nail polish.
70024E91-AF8D-4027-A81A-FF38A74EE242.jpeg

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Sportube is clunky and is not the easiest to lug around, however with $3k+ (have double and carry Kendo and Redster typically) worth of gear I’ll deal with the hassle. TSA will open the tube up so I recommend you make it easy for TSA and any Baggage handlers by marking your tube so they know exactly which hole to use to secure based on the length of your gear. Used daughter’s nail polish. View attachment 231593
I used stickers cut in half. When lined up properly the stickers lineup again.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Binding marking up itself and other top sheet if it were to fall off the luggage cart and suffer hard impact. Yeah, I know, tools not jewels. The triple ski bag I bought to transport two parrs of skis has straps to keep skis in place and padding in between. It had a built in boot bag IIRC, but I never used that Boots go in carry on.
My double tube has built in straps to hold the skis down just like soft bags.

my singles came with Velcro straps to tie the skis together extremely tightly so there is no wobble room for damage you can see how I used them here. When they’re cinched down they are extremely tight. Even if the tube got tossed around, Which it does,Even by me,The skis don’t move.

Attachments

• IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 15

AJB

Booting up
Skier
I used stickers cut in half. When lined up properly the stickers lineup again.
Tried some sticker labels I hand on hand first (mailing/folder labels), however they just didn’t stick well to the slick surface. Since I was traveling the next day I went to plan B to be safe.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hope one day someone will come up with a design similar to Nature Boys fishing rod case and this will be a good day for skiers.
A Pelican-style ski case would be fantastic. It would be complete overkill, and really heavy, but it would also be secure and easy to pack. And would solve the issue of TSA/airport security being entirely incapable of putting a sportstube back together properly. Just open the lid, check the contents, and close the lid. The longest Pelican currently makes, from what I can see, is 58 inches (147cm). These sportstubes just seem like a pain to deal with.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sportube is clunky and is not the easiest to lug around, however with $3k+ (have double and carry Kendo and Redster typically) worth of gear I’ll deal with the hassle. TSA will open the tube up so I recommend you make it easy for TSA and any Baggage handlers by marking your tube so they know exactly which hole to use to secure based on the length of your gear. Used daughter’s nail polish. View attachment 231593
My problem with that is that I have many different length skis, so my tube does not always close to the same spot.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Tried some sticker labels I hand on hand first (mailing/folder labels), however they just didn’t stick well to the slick surface. Since I was traveling the next day I went to plan B to be safe.

Just need to clean the tube well before applying. Also helps when doing it in warmer weather. My stickers are good to go. if you notice the single tube I have one on the top and one on the side. The side one is lined up the top isn’t. That’s for different length skis. Shorter ones match one sticker set the longer skies match the other.

Attachments

• IMG_5277.jpeg
    IMG_5277.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 10

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
A Pelican-style ski case would be fantastic. It would be complete overkill, and really heavy, but it would also be secure and easy to pack. And would solve the issue of TSA/airport security being entirely incapable of putting a sportstube back together properly. Just open the lid, check the contents, and close the lid. The longest Pelican currently makes, from what I can see, is 58 inches (147cm). These sportstubes just seem like a pain to deal with.
This is why I think I'm going to go with the Dakine double that will be easy to fill with other gear, TSA won't screw it up and it'll store small.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Dakine hard case is a monster, but looks to be much handier to pack than the SportTube.

Last year the airline crushed a friend's SportTube and the skis inside. He had no problem getting them to pay for new skis & case.

I haven't had the TSA open a ski bag in a few years. Their new scanners do a very good job.

Sponsor