• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ski Town Real Estate

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Something else that is going on in Summit County to help those that can't afford traditional living situations:
It's being considered on the other side of Vail Pass too:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Y'all see what mortgage rates are doing? I can't see how this won't put some meaningful pressure on house prices.
Housing prices take forever to fall and they may never fall all that much in some markets. Sales volume is what falls because most people are too stubborn to drop their asking prices so they just end up staying put til things turn around. Which can be years.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier

Above headline today was that housing prices decelerated at a record pace. Article goes on to explain that the annual rate of rise dropped from 18% to 15% in July, hence the deceleration.

So prices still rose 15% in July, despite high interest rates. Not sure what it'll take to knock prices down.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Just saw a tweet.. semi-detached home in Sackville NB sold for $609k a year ago just sold for $310k. Ouch...

Edit: sorry the semi went for $309k and the attached semi unit sold for $500k six months ago.. not great..

Last edited:

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier

Above headline today was that housing prices decelerated at a record pace. Article goes on to explain that the annual rate of rise dropped from 18% to 15% in July, hence the deceleration.

So prices still rose 15% in July, despite high interest rates. Not sure what it'll take to knock prices down.
Sort of... There was a year-over-year increase. At least in this corner of ski country there has been a sharp decrease in prices since April.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sort of... There was a year-over-year increase. At least in this corner of ski country there has been a sharp decrease in prices since April.
Kind of a complex thing to figure out as different price segments showing different levels of activity skew the numbers. Also asking price changes don’t tell you that much. Real depreciation will likely depend on job losses and individual market migration which hasn’t occurred yet.

The fed wants job losses IMO, the multiplier in that regard is a tricky thing, so there’s a likelihood that at some point some degree of actual decline will happen. How much depends on how long a job loss associated recession and higher interest rates last. At least that’s how it’s always been. Lifestyle and politics associated trends amongst the cash rich might temper price declines for their segments to a level well below average. Or not.

FWIW my career has been in housing. Haven’t seen the Case-Schiller report so I’m assuming their methodology is as it’s been in the past.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting article I came across from 2015... wonder what this would look like if written now, or an update as a retrospective?

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
‘Bidding wars are over’ — housing prices are falling fast in SLC, Provo-Orem

Denver too.

Our buyer's agent ended up being a PITA (and violating the NRA code of ethics multiple times re:unauthorized access to our house) -- but at the end of the day, it didn't make sense to go back onto the market given current conditions. Just glad we're out, with the mortgage and HELOC we used for the downpayment on new place paid off, and able to move on with life.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting article I came across from 2015... wonder what this would look like if written now, or and update as a retrospective?

Those prices!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Interesting article I came across from 2015... wonder what this would look like if written now, or an update as a retrospective?

Although I'm guessing their median number of $297,000 was understated at the time of the article, the June 2022 median was $697,000. That may have fallen off slightly by now.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Those prices!
It's shocking how much real estate appreciated post Covid. Although it now seems set up that we could have quite a sizeable correction on the way down. I don't see how we don't unless the Fed loses its stomach on interest rate hikes.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Real Estate and gas prices are NEVER going back to where they were.
Suspect we will see both settle but not back to 2020 levels.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Real Estate and gas prices are NEVER going back to where they were.
Suspect we will see both settle but not back to 2020 levels.
Probably not but that doesn't mean real estate can't have a sizeable correction downward. A decrease back to pre-Covid levels would be economic Armageddon. But even a 15% decrease is economically quite painful.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In my lifetime, real estate has never gone back to previous lows but there have been sizable corrections. I suspect we will see that now.

Sponsor

Staff online