• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski shell reccomendatons

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strafe has 2 shells that might work. The Nomad for a looser fit and the Pyramid for a regular fit. I have been using the Nomad in xl and I am very happy with it. 6'2"/215lbs.
Do you have the Nomad bibs also? I’ve been interested in trying them but I’m all torso and the inseam in the XL looks like it might run too long for me.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tree is very bullet proof and fairly loose fit. I am 6'4", 240 and the 3xl is borderline to big, but nice and loose so I kept it. They go up to 5xl, but the op sounds like a xl or 2xl

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't speak to the fit for you (I'm 5'11", 175 slender build - medium fits me), but I am extremely pleased with the quality of my Mountain Hardwear Firefall/2 shell. Not Gore-tex, but waterproof for my uses so far, a fantastic value at less than $200, very sturdy and with all the top level features like pit zips, powder skirt, etc.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all

I'm having a hard time figuring out which shells are best for me.

The shops are usually out of stock now so I'm resorting to ordering online. I have no problem ordering 4 or 5 jackets and shipping back but need a good starting point.

I'm 6' 210 lbs. So slim fits are too tight (fine for normal clothes but not ski jackets)

The Noronna (sp?) are too tight

Anyway, any shared experiences would be appreciated.
At about your same size, I've had good luck with Obermeyer and Marmot, in XL size. I've had both insulated and shells, and they fit well.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I grabbed the "Night" color XL... Didn't like the two tones. They did not have Large to order as well so we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure which size is right for me with Flylow.
So how's the XL fit?

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
So how's the XL fit?
Wow, talk about good timing...I was just doing the return :( I think the Large would be better on the Quantum cut.

I'm poking around for this same size and color in Large.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, talk about good timing...I was just doing the return :( I think the Large would be better on the Quantum cut.

I'm poking around for this same size and color in Large.
The shells do run a little baggy, but once you start layering they fit nicely, but YMMV

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
The shells do run a little baggy, but once you start layering they fit nicely, but YMMV
Looking at the HH Odin Infinity jacket (insulated though).

Based on reading it the venting is great on it and I like the HH Lifa Infinity Pro material. Going to see how it does for a single jacket system. Got it for close to 70% off.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Tried it on today, a really light insulation, just enough to make it not feel like a bare shell and provide warmth when the late afternoon hits. Kind of the best of both worlds.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Where was that?
Backcountry. 40% off and then they had a 20% off sale site wide (didn't even realize until it was in the cart), + some reward points came out to 320 or something (maybe more) before taxes.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at the HH Odin Infinity jacket (insulated though).

Based on reading it the venting is great on it and I like the HH Lifa Infinity Pro material. Going to see how it does for a single jacket system. Got it for close to 70% off.
I got the same jacket at BC. I wont get it until Thursday though. I hope I like it. Did you get the dark spruce one too?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
So slim fits are too tight (fine for normal clothes but not ski jackets)
Bit taller, same weight. Don't like stuff tight either. Have a Helly Hansen Verglas 3L 2.0 shell, size XL. (Don't know if they size them differently in the US, label has English and French: XL/TG.) Fits loose over a down jacket, slalom jacket and back protector. Is a touch longer than an on-piste anorak. Looks like a bin bag without the down jacket underneath. Would be room for another midlayer if required but has been fine so far down to -17 C. Has done a good job in wet snow and rain. Only downside is that it only has two pockets.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you use a powder skirt? I've always wondered if the absence of a powder skirt with ski pants (non bib) would feel cold on a high wind day...like 20-30+ MPH at the peak.
I always use it. It is somewhat warmer and it keeps the shell close to my body. It also controls the wind going up the front of the shell.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like boxier cuts and have been very happy with my gear from Trew and Stio. Both fit well, seem very durable and functional. Tree branches and chairlifts don't hurt em.

If you want something super breathable, TNF makes some stuff in their Futurelight fabric that breathes very well. I have a set of their pants I use for skiing in 50 degrees and up. The fabric is rather delicate- I haven't hurt it but it's not burly. However, it's not slim cut, and it's super breathable.

Sponsor

Staff online