• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski shell reccomendatons

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi all

I'm having a hard time figuring out which shells are best for me.

The shops are usually out of stock now so I'm resorting to ordering online. I have no problem ordering 4 or 5 jackets and shipping back but need a good starting point.

I'm 6' 210 lbs. So slim fits are too tight (fine for normal clothes but not ski jackets)

The Noronna (sp?) are too tight

Anyway, any shared experiences would be appreciated.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Montec, North Face, Flylow, Burton and some Patagonia tend to fit Muerica sizes better. There are more options for non Goretex jackets.

James

Out There
Instructor
Helley Hansen Odin 9 Infinity Shell in 2xl would probably work for fit.
Seems to be pretty water resistant, tested a couple times in VT skiing in rain but not pouring.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have two Fly Low shells. It’s not a slam dunk, imo, for fit at his size. But we don’t know. Anything pant related in Flylow is highly problematic for many people.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
You might want to take a look at Trew as well. The shell jacket and bibs I got this year seem absolutely bullet proof.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have two Fly Low shells. It’s not a slam dunk, imo, for fit at his size. But we don’t know. Anything pant related in Flylow is highly problematic for many people.
I have one shell (Quantum) that has a looser fit and one insulated jacket (Cobra) that is a little more snug, both in large and the fit is kinda different for each. But that is to expected since you'll be laying under the shell. Right now Flylow is having a sale on the shell and looks like they have a couple options for the XXL size. I know that sometime in the summer (typically June) they have a better sale, but over the last couple years the discount has been less. When I got my shell it was about 70% off, I think last year the sale was 60% off.
The pants are the Chemical and are a loose fit for sure, but I really like that as it doesn't feel restrictive at all.
I'm 5'11" about 170ish. My son is about 6'2" 230 and has an XXL insulated jacket that fits him perfectly.
Highly recommend the Flylow gear

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@GA49- you'd prolly fit in an XL- just re-read your post. Being 6' and 210 I feel the XL would be a good size. One thing is they are very good at customer service, give them a call to check on sizing

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m selling this one if ur interested…….brand new/never worn. Color was too light for me/ and it’s past the return/refund timeline….I have my black one I’ll just keep wearing…

I’m 6’2 205….FRS L is the size for 6’0-6’2/200-210 lbs…..it’s a great fit.

If not familiar with Freeride Systems….it would be worth checking them out…The majority of us that wear FRS, swear by the company/ quality of shell/customer service, pricing, etc. My price would be about 100.00 less than what they are selling for/ so I am looking to get it to someone that is interested in the product/company.

IMG_1031.png

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
@GA49- you'd prolly fit in an XL- just re-read your post. Being 6' and 210 I feel the XL would be a good size. One thing is they are very good at customer service, give them a call to check on sizing
Theu seem to be out of stock mostly.

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
That's a good point. I am 6'3", 220 and I manage an XL Compound Pant, but an XXL Baker Bib. It takes some fiddling and trying on to find the right size depending on the piece. I love Flylow, but I'd be prepared to ship a lot of stuff back and forth if there isn't a store near you to try stuff on.

I'm eyeballing that Odin 9 jacket hard, too. My lab coat is going on it's 6th season and I may need a burlier jacket for inbounds and my close encounters with pine tree branches.

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
I’m selling this one if ur interested…….brand new/never worn. Color was too light for me/ and it’s past the return/refund timeline….I have my black one I’ll just keep wearing…

I’m 6’2 205….FRS L is the size for 6’0-6’2/200-210 lbs…..it’s a great fit.

If not familiar with Freeride Systems….it would be worth checking them out…The majority of us that wear FRS, swear by the company/ quality of shell/customer service, pricing, etc. My price would be about 100.00 less than what they are selling for/ so I am looking to get it to someone that is interested in the product/company.

View attachment 230442
It's getting tough to find shells that use Polartec Neoshell, BTW. If you're looking for an air perm jacket, I think it's the best fabric going.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Strafe has 2 shells that might work. The Nomad for a looser fit and the Pyramid for a regular fit. I have been using the Nomad in xl and I am very happy with it. 6'2"/215lbs.

Sponsor

Staff online