• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ski "Season"... Addressing the New "Normal".

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I kind of don’t understand what the the op is getting at. Why would any ski area that wanted to open delay out side of weather preventing it? It’s not like it’s all areas trying

Many areas operate on a set schedule open and close. That’s a business decision. Plenty of areas shut down with plenty is skiing available. In many cases the NPS mandate closure for animal breeding. Your likely going to see several in the next couple of weeks. All with plenty of snow (at least out west)

The areas that choose to remain open late and have the means and support are the same. If they think there is profit to be made, Why not?

Overall I think with the expansion and improvements in snow making, the seasons are getting longer at certain places. And heck you can ski all year if you throw in the big Ramp in the Meadowlands

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
There are members of the skiing public that do not like cold weather and are strictly spring skiers. The problem with catering to this clientele is the sun has to be shining and not cloudy or they won't go skiing...they are way too fickle and fussy for a resort to spend time and effort and $ wooing these fair weather skiers to a ski resort.
I suppose sunshine maybe somewhat short on supply in part of Canada?

But Banff stays open till very late. It's a great vacation spot in spring. More so because it's just too darn cold in the "normal" core winter season!

Down in the lower 48, Colorado doesn't lack sunshine. A-basin stays open late also. So does Keystone now that A-basin is no longer part of the Vail empire.

Sure, there aren't enough spring skiers to keep all the mountains open till all the snow is gone. But there're enough of them to keep a few mountains open.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I kind of don’t understand what the the op is getting at. Why would any ski area that wanted to open delay out side of weather preventing it? It’s not like it’s all areas trying
To maximize profits. The COSTS to get/keep a WROD open in November (and December?) far exceed the costs to keep tons of terrain open in April at most of these places thanks to mother nature arriving better late than never. If the customer base demand can be shifted to that window the overall season profits will be higher IMHO..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Since we close due to Forest Service rules about grizzly habitat, I doubt the bears are going to buy into this proposal. They're hungry and could give a squat about resort profits. I personally don't want to be around for their first meal.

It would be interesting if the grizz decided to sleep in given, you know, snow and cold. Does wakeup week vary and do we know?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It definitely varies. They are already up in some areas. They were much later denning this last fall, by many weeks, and the temperatures have had wildly crazy swings.

I see. Hungry bears with a sleep disorder.

NP, feed 'em some tourists. In fact, take some of our cherry tree viewers, we've enough to export.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
New part time gig at Whitefish?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
$50 all day any day March 15 through close, $5 good beers and $10 good burgers.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
To maximize profits. The COSTS to get/keep a WROD open in November (and December?) far exceed the costs to keep tons of terrain open in April at most of these places thanks to mother nature arriving better late than never. If the customer base demand can be shifted to that window the overall season profits will be higher IMHO..
I’m not sure if your looking at it as a regional thing but I don’t think they are losing too much by being open.

In Colorado where we have our condo it starts snowing in October (Sept on the Divde in back of the condo). Places like Winter Park find it practical to open usually just before thanksgiving and get plenty of business. The smaller resort we live on however has set dates that don’t start till December. However that does not stop them for making snow starting as soon as they can.

But that’s Colorado. Let’s get back to the east coast and the much lower elevations of the Pocono’s. Much more fickle weather but they generally try for a early December opening. Some years it earlier some later (like this past season) but they generally get it done and don’t lack for business Of course if it actually snows in the metro regions thing get really busy real fast. On the backside the start of spring sports and activities put a big dent in attendance in the spring

I’m not saying there isn’t a shoulder season on both sides of the season. I like skiing the shoulder seasons. Less crowded . Better parking etc. Thanksgiving to Christmas is a busy time for many and many won’t start till the holidays, You mentioned St Patrick Day as a season high point but in many of the places I like to ski it already is. That’s spring break - Texas week out west ,plenty busy and most years The Pocono’s are 100 % open but admittedly winding down.

The last couple of years have been tough in the mid Atlantic for skiers and winter weather enthusiasts but I don’t think trying to change season would be beneficial to anyone. Not convinced by 2 down years that winters in the east are finished and the drastic measures like the one you proposed are necessary,

Sponsor

Staff online