• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Just went on an 8 hour road trip last week to Nubs Nob. With my father in law and three boys, we wanted to get something to carry the skis on top of our GMC Acadia, so we could all ride up in one vehicle. However didn't get it together in time, so we packed the skis and other equipment in the Acadia and my father in law, drove separately in his Highlander.

It seemed kind of complicated to find matching cross bars and a ski rack or other type of roof top carrier.

Are ski racks good for long road trips? Or do the enclosed boxes work better?

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
We had a rack long ago, but eventually swapped it out for a box. Box is more protective of the skis.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Box. Period.
Ski racks allow salt/road grime/rain/whatever to cover your skis and bindings. And...a box can hold other things besides skis, like poles, boots (don't leave them there!), etc. and luggage in the off season.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Check Craigslist/Ebay etc. for a used box. Even on a nice day there is a lot of dust and debris coming up off the road. You'll probably pay for the box with lower mileage but it's worth it to protect the gear IMHO.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unless you have a compelling reason to go with a rack (and I can't think of one that would be generally applicable), go with a box.

Boxes are more versatile (you can fit a GTi exhaust system in one, for example) and actually protect the contents from the weather. Racks leave your gear exposed to the weather and also make it more readily evident to those looking to relieve you of your expensive skis. The aerodynamic impact is probably slightly worse, but it's better than the mileage impact of needing to take two vehicles.

I'll second the "used" recommendation. I think I got about 8-10 years out of one that I bought used before giving it away because I had chosen to resize my vehicle choice and the garage space was more valuable to me than the aging box was.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There is also the concern that skis on a rack are plainly visible to potential thieves and racks are easily torn off the roof, skis and all by those thieves. All a box looks like is a box, way more secure all around. Heck, I even leave (older, not brand new) skis in it between trips sometimes. It works for fishing and camping gear over the summer as well.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
garage space was more valuable
If you can't get your car into the garage with a box, that tradeoff for a rack may sway you to the rack. I can't get my truck in the garage even if I take the tires off, so I'm out in the cold no matter what!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The box has been my best friend for a few seasons now. No more worry or hassle, clean car, the list goes on and on. Their are certainly a few cons but for the most part they outweigh the pros.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought a box (haven’t even picked it up yet!) after 15+ years of using a rack because all the reasons listed above: weather, protection, security & ability to store gear besides skis. We have an Accord hybrid & the box will give us more flexibility with the extra space to take additional people with their gear & just drive one car. I don’t know what the hit on mpg will be, but I imagine I’ll still be getting in the high 30’s as my usual is around 41.

I think I read that people wrap their skis in an old blanket/towel when putting in a box. Is this a thing? Do you tie down your skis in the box?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Have used both - bought old used crappy Yakima racks this season - and used them once to transport skis to the hill.

Now I'm tossing them in the back of the vehicle through the rear seat split, I know it's not the safest thing to do - but being lazy, and the car not fitting in the garage with the box on - that's what I've done.

Box would be my choice of the two, unlikely to ever use the racks again.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I read that people wrap their skis in an old blanket/towel when putting in a box. Is this a thing?
Yes. I use a moving blanket that is big enough to wrap layers of skis if necessary. Just make sure you take the skis out and dry the blanket/towel or you'll end up with rusty edges. I don't tie them down.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. I use a moving blanket that is big enough to wrap layers of skis if necessary. Just make sure you take the skis out and dry the blanket/towel or you'll end up with rusty edges. I don't tie them down.

I lined the bottom of my box with foam and don't usually tie them down either. I was always worried about them getting tossed or rolling around but really they don't. Possibly cause it is always full with skis! :yahoo:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest reason to use a box? There isn't enough room on a rack for all the cool stickers!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were about to buy a box just a week or so ago and realized we would drive it into garages. Not worth the hassle of taking it off and putting on for each ski trip IMO. I used to have one and it was nice but I drove that sucker into the garage one time too many.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Luckily, a small Thule box on a Forester makes it in to pretty much every parking garage a standard van can, some just barely though. I did have one car wash minor disaster. I was able to repair the box and damaged vehicle crossbar mount fairly easily but it really sucked when it happened.

I had been through a couple different types of car washes previously but guess I pushed my luck too far the last time. Only 100% brushless car washes with plenty of headroom is safe.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor