• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
What pole size should I get for a 5'6" expert female skier? Thinking 105 or 110.

Want them a bit on the short side so that they are not too long in the moguls.

Thanks.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Demo, demo, demo.

Kidding. My serious answer is why not 2 pair? Shorter for extended stays in deeper bigger bumps, longer for the flatter stuff. You have a sunny goggle lens and a flat light goggle lens, no? A Spring jacket and a Winter parka? Mittens and gloves? Plus there's the whole powder basket/hardpack basket thing. If you're an expert, you need the gear. Of all the ski gear out there, poles are some of the cheapest, and for me, the most destructed. Chairlifts, angry trees, windmilling falls, unfilled waterbars on a powder day, theft, soft spring mogul immersion halfway up the shaft at speed, have all taken a pair from me. Spring sales are a wonderful thing, as are spares.

Whether your height is in your torso or your legs, plus where you plant, ie nearer the toe-piece or half-way down the ski, plus how much you flex and when will determine the fine tuning on length. Not sure a forum can give specifics on that.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Running lately with one 47” pole and a 48”. Switching them back and forth has me kinda liking the 47” one better except when pushing uphill where the 48” is better.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Demo, demo, demo.

Whether your height is in your torso or your legs, plus where you plant, ie nearer the toe-piece or half-way down the ski, plus how much you flex and when will determine the fine tuning on length. Not sure a forum can give specifics on that.

But adjustable poles can..

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Demo, demo, demo.

Kidding. My serious answer is why not 2 pair? Shorter for extended stays in deeper bigger bumps, longer for the flatter stuff. You have a sunny goggle lens and a flat light goggle lens, no? A Spring jacket and a Winter parka? Mittens and gloves? Plus there's the whole powder basket/hardpack basket thing. If you're an expert, you need the gear. Of all the ski gear out there, poles are some of the cheapest, and for me, the most destructed. Chairlifts, angry trees, windmilling falls, unfilled waterbars on a powder day, theft, soft spring mogul immersion halfway up the shaft at speed, have all taken a pair from me. Spring sales are a wonderful thing, as are spares.

Thanks.

Wife is 5'6" so I ended up getting her 40s and I am 5'9" and ski more upright so got 44s for myself.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm 6' and have 50" & 51" so 44" seems really short to me!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wife is 5'6" so I ended up getting her 40s and I am 5'9" and ski more upright so got 44s for myself.

Looks like they fall on the short side.

I'm 5'/6", in the bumps a lot. I use 46"/115 cm. Mamie is 5'/1" and she uses 42"/105 cm.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Add 2" for being in boots and skis.. That's where that method comes up a little short..

I'm 5'9" and go 46 in bumps and 48 everywhere else..

Makes sense. Will look to change to 44 and 46. Thanks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Add 2" for being in boots and skis.. That's where that method comes up a little short..

I'm 5'9" and go 46 in bumps and 48 everywhere else..
Well your boots and skis height won't don't change, so that positioning washes out and is the same for all the poles you try.

A bigger joker is both the basket positioning and the the grip positions are different between makes/models so the same number can vary between different pole designs.
The method above helps account a bit for the basket position, but not the grip and where your hand goes. You may find that a 48" scott works feels the right length, but when you compare to say a goode that is also 48", the goode feels 1" longer. Then right side up, the goode's grip positioning adds an additional 1" difference, meaning you should've gotten the 46" goode.

It is the same how different pairs of jeans that all says waist 32" is all over the board of in physical measurement in inches.

Anyway for the OP, who is 5'6", you are right probably probably somewhere between 44-48 will be the right length.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm 5', more leg than arm - wingspan is actually 2" shorter than my height. Anyway, I think this translates in the real world as my elbow bends higher up on my body than someone my height with long arms. I found that shorter than ~42"/105cm is not comfortable on any terrain, and ~44"/110cm is too long.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Makes sense. Will look to change to 44 and 46. Thanks.

I think a 46 "is still too short for you.
You are 3" taller than I am. You should be on at least 48".

I would get a pair of 50" for you. I know they will be a touch long but you can always cut it down. Most shops will do it for $5/$10.
Much tougher to lengthen a pair of poles.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think a 46 "is still too short for you.
You are 3" taller than I am. You should be on at least 48".

I would get a pair of 50" for you. I know they will be a touch long but you can always cut it down. Most shops will do it for $5/$10.
Much tougher to lengthen a pair of poles.

Not necessarily. Depends on if they plant out near the tips or closer to the toe pieces. In the end it's personal preference. Lots of folks my size are throwing 46's where I throw 48s. New school high angle side tappers run even shorter poles than us upright torso old schoolers.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Still say one can make a pole shorter much easier than longer.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Here in the midwest and on hard snow the tip doesn't usually go into the snow up to the basket. Hold the pole by the grip to form the 90° angle. This will be much more realistic and you can fine tune from there. I use Goode poles with the adjustable grip so they were easy to play with and dial in for me!

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Here in the midwest and on hard snow the tip doesn't usually go into the snow up to the basket. Hold the pole by the grip to form the 90° angle. This will be much more realistic and you can fine tune from there. I use Goode poles with the adjustable grip so they were easy to play with and dial in for me!

I know the OP's home mountain, and can say that typically the pole will sink into the basket on that mountain.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone know if you need specific LEKI gloves in order for the LEKI Trigger S system to work or can you wear other branded gloves/mittens (Hestra)?

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Does anyone know if you need specific LEKI gloves in order for the LEKI Trigger S system to work or can you wear other branded gloves/mittens (Hestra)?

All the trigger S poles include a compatible strap (a very good one in my opinion) that will work with any glove.

Also, 48 is likely closer to your size than 46 but there is good amount of personal preference involved.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
All the trigger S poles include a compatible strap (a very good one in my opinion) that will work with any glove.

Thank you.

I guess LEKI gloves "just" allow you to avoid the strap by having that little connector.

I think we want to keep our gloves and not switch to LEKI gloves - reason I asked.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online