• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Model Acronyms: AX AR DH FX GS HT LX MX RC RX SX SC SG SL TX ZX etc

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Anyone want to translate all of these and more for the curious reader? The letters must actually correspond to real words. Let's find out what they are. If I've missed some, please copy the list and add.

AX -
AR -
DH -
FX -
GS -
HT -
LX -
MX -
RC -
RX -
SC -
SG -
SL -
SX -
TX -
ZX -

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
DH is downhill
GS is giant slalom
SC (at least Stocki's verson) is slalom carve
SL is slalom
SG is Super G
TX (at least Kastle's version) is for touring.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone want to translate all of these and more for the curious reader? The letters must actually correspond to real words. Let's find out what they are. If I've missed some, please copy the list and add.

AX -One ski to rule them all
AR -Stockli
DH -Downhill
FX -Kastle
GS -Stockli
HT -
LX -
MX -Kastle
RC -
RX -
SC -Stockli
SG -Super G
SL -Slalom
SX -Stockli Ski Cross
TX -
ZX -

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

AX -
AR -
DH -
FX -
GS -
HT -
LX -
MX -
RC -
RX -
SC -
SG -
SL -
SX -
TX -
ZX -
GT-
AX -
AR -
DH -
FX -
GS -
HT -
LX -
MX -
RC -
RX -
SC -
SG -
SL -
SX -
TX -
ZX -
GT-
Added GT. What's RC and GT on same ski, since I just ordered some?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Stockli website has some subtiltles under their ski names. Since they are english words, that might be back formation and there is some duplication, but taken at face value,
A = All mounttain, S = sport (except when its slalom), C = carving, R = race, X = general filler letter.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The letters must actually correspond to real words
:roflmao:

There usually is some sort of etymology behind them. It is made muddier by the fact that the etymology often involves German or other non-English terms - e.g., "Riesen Slalom" (RS). But you are kidding yourself if you think you can move entirely past marketing BS with this stuff.

Last edited:
TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have embedded contributions by @KevinF @Tony Storaro @mdf @Tony S into the list. I may have garbled or missed some. Feel free to copy and add or correct.

AX - Stöckli One ski to rule them all
AR - Stöckli All mountain Race
DH - Downhill (race)
FX - Kästle something
GS - Giant Slalom (race);
HT -
LX -
MX - Kästle something
RC -
RS - Riesen Slalom
RX -
SC - Stöckli Sport Carve, or Slalom Carve
SG - Super G (race)
SL - Slalom (race)
SX - Stöckli Ski Cross
TX - (at least Kästle's version) is for touring.
ZX -

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Stöckli website has some subtiltles under their ski names. Since they are english words, that might be back formation and there is some duplication, but taken at face value,
A = All mounttain, S = sport (except when its slalom), C = carving, R = race, X = general filler letter.
We need to get Helen Zaltzman on the case here.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Stöckli website has some subtiltles under their ski names. Since they are english words, that might be back formation and there is some duplication, but taken at face value,
AND .... Euro languages are increasingly infiltrated by English. So a quick Google suggests that the current German term for a carving ski is "carving ski" or "carving-ski". :rolleyes: There is also, apparently, "carven". "Race" is "Rennen". So "RC" could conceivably indicate "Rennen Carven" or "Race Carving" or ... it's a mess. (I am not a German speaker so I am not pretending to have the declensions right!)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than the five that are associated with the four distinct alpine events and ski cross . The reminder are marketing terms used by the various manufacturers.

A quick glance of the Kastle US site shows DX, RX, KX, JX, FX, PX, MX, ZX, TX, FIGL :huh:.
Glaringly missing is the old LX designation. Most take the L in LX to mean lady or light. Light as in not yet ready for the M in MX kind of light. From what I was told, the DX replaced the LX. Probably didn't sell enough LXs.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
In regard to Kastle, I was told by my rep that the "X" Kastle has been using for a long time, stood for construction. For example, my personal favorite Kastle of yesteryear was the white RX 12 GSM. That stood for race construction, 12 (no idea on the 12), giant slalom magnesium. I currently ski an Kastle RX (one pair has a 12, the other doesn't) 176 and MX 89, 180, so I believe it's race construction and all-mountain construction. I'm sure Pug will correct me if I was given false information.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
BX = Bollux
I love how the ski industry is essentially the 1970s car industry still when it comes to badging skis

Oh come now, there's at least one exception - the FIGL - unless you want to call a gas-powered hoverboard 'a car'

Other than the five that are associated with the four distinct alpine events and ski cross .

So all the German manufacturers have retired Reisenslalom and Abfahrt?

Sponsor

Staff online