• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating a ski trip for August/September turns. I just came back from our family vacation and I can either fly to Mt. Hood on FF points (which I've done a few times) or do to the Southern Hemisphere (I've done the Andes a few times) and New Zealand last year.

As a geographer and ski fanatic, I like to mixte my skiing to explore new places. Plane tickets to Australia are definitely cheaper for me than getting to NZ, plus as I mentioned, never skied Australia and it's all about new experiences.

I know that as a ski coach/instructor (CSIA/CSCF) in Canada, I managed to get some discounts on lift tickets at a few places last Summer (Cardrona 50%, Treble Cone 30%). I didn't get anything at Hutt or Ohau. I didn't ask for areas I skied prior to reaching Queenstown (North island and Remarks (which I later found out that I could have gotten a deal on Remarks tix)).

So those anyone what any experience with asking or getting ski industry discounts in Australia?

Thanks and keep on skiing!!!

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've never been to Australia but when i want to check out a mountain i go to my boss at the ski school who writes me a letter to bring to the mountain who usually comps me a ticket.

I ski in North America and have never done this out of this area but maybe it works similarly there?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
There is a large continginet in NZ...Jf. Sunny, etc. But I don't know of anybody in Oz. Can't hurt to present your card at the ticket wicket. Did you contact Montreal about any deals?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
There is a large group in NZ...Jf. Sunny, etc. But I don't know of anybody in Oz. Can't hurt to present your card at the ticket wicket. Did you contact Montreal about any deals?

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I doubt that there would be anything like that available at (Vail owned) Perisher in Australia. Unless of course you have an Epic pass or maybe a Whistler pass from last season.

Thredbo is on the Mountain Collective Pass AFAIK.

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask the same question on forums.ski.com.au.

There are a few Perisher seasonnaires with Epic Australia passes there who, failing any other options, may be willing to help you out with their quota of "bring a mate" discounted day tickets.

BTW the Australian ski hills have just had a big fall (in our terms) of over a metre in the last few days and are in their best shape of the season.

TS
M

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
But I don't know of anybody in Oz. Can't hurt to present your card at the ticket wicket. Did you contact Montreal about any deals?

From experience on my NZ trip last summer, it is easier to ask to other people than the ticket window. I managed to get some deals in Queenstown versus the hill ticket window. I would think that decision is more in the hands that the CSIA, however I didn't think of asking at the Montreal office, thanks.

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask the same question on forums.ski.com.au.

(...)may be willing to help you out with their quota of "bring a mate" discounted day tickets..

Will do.

BTW the Australian ski hills have just had a big fall (in our terms) of over a metre in the last few days and are in their best shape of the season.

That is one of the reasons why I'm actually thinking about it, especially from what I heard, season in Australia/NZ can vary greatly and are not as consistent as in NA.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can pull it off? I can find a fairly cheap plane ticket and figure how much this die-bag trip could set me back. My account is fairly dry after a couple of trips (not all skiing) in recent months.

Either way, I'm going to ski at the end of the month, but I'm either I go for the easiest option and make a return visit to Mt. Hood or decide to continue to explore the Ski World

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I would go to Mt. Hood in your situation insisting on skiing end of the month and September.

If you could get to Australia right away it would probably be good. But Oz ski area weather from what I read is very fickle and rain incidence is high, like in eastern North America. Great conditions now are not all that predictive for conditions 3-4 weeks from now.

Local Aussies are free to correct this impression of mine if you think I'm wrong.

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I would go to Mt. Hood in your situation insisting on skiing end of the month and September.

If you could get to Australia right away it would probably be good. But Oz ski area weather from what I read is very fickle and rain incidence is high, like in eastern North America. Great conditions now are not all that predictive for conditions 3-4 weeks from now.

Local Aussies are free to correct this impression of mine if you think I'm wrong.
Yep Australia is basically the East Coast snowwise, just a fair bit warmer. This metre of snow should keep things going into September.

TS
M

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
I decided that, although all the recent snow received, planning/energy/timing/cash was a bit rushed for a trip to Australia (it's been a busy last few months). A trip and ski trip (not unlikely ski trip) is now definitely on the list after going a bit of research since I started this thread.

6 or 7 ski areas between Canberra and Melbourne. So drive Sydney to Melbourne (one way along the coast, the other in the mountains). There is also a desired return trip to New Zealand that I would love to make.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier

You're on the money. I skied yesterday in light rain showers.
Surprising the snow stayed in better shape than the day before when the warm temps and direct sun caused it to go slushy at about 10am.

Sponsor

Staff online