• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski dilemma - the best kind

Mog42

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This is a long story. But it's a gear nerd story and I'm pretty sure this is why we're all on these things...so there's that.

Because of the n+1 rule I needed more skis...also I was looking for something that could be a side country ski that was going to give preference to downhill performance - I am willing to sacrifice uphill speed - thus far I have not enjoyed the strictly backcountry skis that I have tried...and then we booked a trip to Japan for this winter and then I definitely needed skis that could do some sidecountry but are not going suck going downhill in a variety of potential conditions...but also (hopefully) so much powder.

Well...it just so happens that I get a pair of 2019 Blizzard Rustler 10's as part of investing in Red Mountain (which was a really neat idea btw). When I started looking at the reviews last year I was thinking this might be the ski I was looking for and got pretty excited...but then the reviews for the 2019 skis cropped up and for me personally nothing makes me give a ski side-eye faster than words like "approachable" and "forgiving". "Slarve" and "chatter" make me hyperventilate a bit. So I panicked. And bought a pair of new 2014 Blizzard Dakotas. Now I have two pairs of skis...onto which I want to put one pair of backcountry bindings and take to Japan. First world problems.

Therefore, looking for advice: 39, 5'6", 180lbs, aggressive female skier. Pretty technical. No particular preference for turn shape. I think I trend towards medium radius but love big arcs in open spaces and the little turns have their place too. Love trees. Hate moguls, avoid at all costs. No tricks for me - too old. Otherwise I love a great groomer day, or powder, or pretty much anything a day in the mountains has to offer. We're in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver) and ski primarily at Mt. Baker, Manning Park, the locals, Baldy, Sun Peaks, Silver Star...I have a definite preference for very solid and damp but energetic skis that won't get deflected and can blow through all the chop and slush and crud that we get out here on the wetter days. Even the best powder days often end up on the groomers at some point or other and a great groomer day is amazing. Skis that float are neat but I lose my mind when they can't hold an edge, lol.

Current lineup: 2012 166cm Blizzard Black Pearl (I have never loved a ski more than these skis but I'm worried about the new gen) 2013 156cm Blizzard Power 700S IQ
2014 177cm Blizzard Cochise (I see a pattern here. Other than length. Lol. Incidentally, these are what lead me to the Dakotas because I was complaining that I just wanted to take my Cochise's but didn't want to remount them and also didn't want to drag those beasts up a hill. This complaining led to internet searching which produced - taadaa! Cochise minus metal (or at least less) = Dakota. I do love my beasts so very much but they are very heavy to carry on one's shoulder for slackcountry. I have done this. 0/10 would recommend)

Newbies: 2014 177cm Blizzard Dakota and 2019 180cm Blizzard Rustler

So...how bad was this idea? lol. Thoughts on the Rustlers? Should I rustle (HA!) them up a pair of downhill bindings and hope they can replace my Black Pearls? Are the Dakotas going to kill me going uphill and I should just stop being crabby about the Rustlers? For reference the Rustlers come in at a darn reasonable 1830g/ski, the Dakotas are 2050g. Cochise are 2200g. Maybe.

Secondary question...I think I've done enough damage to my wallet this year, but my Black Pearls have had a LOT of days put on them and are feeling it. Thoughts on what could replace them if I find an-end-of-the-year bargain next spring? I'm not loving the sounds of this new generation of Blizzards this year....Since the new BP's are sounding...squishy....what are you guys are loving in an 85-90mm-ish waisted ski that can rip it up? Ideally something to play around in a few cm's of fresh but then go carve on the groomers later on. Nice speed, great edge hold and no dreaded tip chatter.

thanks in advance,
m

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
LOL I'm an older version of you.. Stats and ski style..

I LOVE the Renoun z-90's The Z-90 became my 1 ski quiver last winter.. Yes they go Fast, hold an edge, big turns, tight turns all great and they are outstanding in busted up crud, piles and powder. Smoothest ski I have ever skied! No dreaded tip chatter, no bouncing around. They are $$$ unless you can find them resale but they sell fast.

I didn't find the New BP's squishy, I have prior version too(2013) and hate the tip flap, on frosty spring mornings, yes they are nice in soft snow, carve etc, I really liked the New version No tip flap, still playful, hope you can demo a pair..

TS
Mog42

Mog42

Skier
Oooooo….a new ski to investigate. I have no familiarity with the Renoun! I will check it out, thanks for the recommendation! Good to know about the new BP's...just in case. Snow update: 0cm. It's September. Sad.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a fellow PNW skier, I will second the Renoun Z90. I demoed them for a full day at Whistler during the 2017 Gathering (courtesy of @Philpug ‘s traveling demo fleet). I took them everywhere, groomers, crud, bumps, powder (PNW variety), crust. They are great in most conditions, and good enough in the rest. I bought a pair for this season, about to have bindings mounted. They will be my everyday ski, and possibly my teaching ski (if I have a class of skiers who won’t ski over my skis, not necessarily for a never-ever class).

That said, they are pricy AF.

I’d also suggest ON3P, made in Portland, OR. A bit less pricy AF. They are made without metal and have bamboo cores, light but stable with incredible on-snow feel. They are truly the best things I’ve skied for the non-groomer conditions we experience in the PNW. I haven’t tried the women’s specific models, but the Jessie 96 might be what you’re looking for, based on the unisex Kartel, a bit on the playful side but very stable nonetheless, and maybe the Wrenegade 96 (more stable, more of an all-mountain charger, capable of truly ripping).

TS
Mog42

Mog42

Skier
I would LOVE to demo those Renouns...I'll have to keep an eye out for Philpug's travelling roadshow. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll go have a look at the ON3P's as well!

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
I would LOVE to demo those Renouns...I'll have to keep an eye out for Philpug's travelling roadshow. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll go have a look at the ON3P's as well!
One major selling point for the Renouns are their 100 Day trial period. Don't like them send them back for a full refund. I LOVE mine! Worth the $$$ IMHO.

Sponsor