• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski day of or day after the snowfall?

When do you choose to ski?

• Day the snow is falling

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • The day after the storm

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So assuming the forecast stays the same, Catskills is calling to 8-12" starting Tuesday AM through Wednesday AM. Temp of around 30 on Tuesday but high of 9 and falling all day Wednesday. (So should keep some people away).

So ski Tuesday or Wednesday?

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
If most of the snow is coming after lifts close on Tuesday I would go,with Wednesday. My only concern would be is that sometimes on the backside of a storm it is really windy. 9* with wind is not fun.

James

Out There
Instructor
In general, get it before the winds and or liquid come.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Day after - temps lower, and will dry the snow out some. The bulk of the snow will fall after the lifts close Tuesday. The winds will be down. Since you only have a day, brave the drive and go a little further to VT. Deeper snow, lighter snow, better terrain.

*Edit:
Looking further into the forecast, the wind will be very strong out of the South for the bulk of Tuesday night. Temps will be 28º or so and will fall to 12º by dawn. I've seen this movie before, and the snow will be drifted and firmly wind-packed. Sheltered areas will be better, but at these windspeeds the effect will penetrate the woods. Current winds are forecast to be high 40s gusting to low 60s. Those early NOAA wind forecasts are almost always overly high, but still.... that's a lotta wind. Winds will veer to the west as the temps drop, snow stops, and the winds will ease to the mid 20s. This is a storm with wind slab, big drifting and highly changeable snow. A perfect New England recipe for the fattest skis you can lay your hands on. Stay away from southern exposures and wide trails. Not a blower powder day, more like an adventure powder day. Protected glades facing Northish might be the money.

Note: Those temps are for upper mountain Killington. MRG is 2º cooler, Jay is 4º cooler. Jay's snow will be the best, if you can find where it went.

Last edited:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I first saw the thread I thought you were posing the more general question of whether or not people prefer skiing the day of or the day after a storm. Considering your situation though, I'm checking the forecast for Belleayre, and they're supposed to get 2-4" during the day on Tuesday, and then 5-9" on Wednesday. To me, the clear choice is to ski on Wednesday. @mister moose has a great analysis. Have fun!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I skied on Tuesday at Blue and it snowed lightly all day only an inch when I cleaned the truck off at three PM. The conditions were great and would do it again. Only one down side was the ride home, an extra hour at least to the trip.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
In perspective.

It sort of snowed yesterday during the day. The skiing was OK, I suppose, a bit crunchy.

It SNOWED last night, but the wind came along with. The skiing today was a kings reward!

Now , with the coming night, the thermometer is dropping a degree every 15 minutes. The wind is up big time. Tomorrow will ski OK, but it's going to pale in comparison to today.

I'll be there anyway ;-)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I don't think that the cold scares off many of us here on this community. Unless you are JAFO most of us are hardy individuals or just a bit crazy enough not to be stopped by lower temperature.

Sponsor

Staff online