• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski damage: if not covered under warranty can it be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but when there is a choice between US made (or other non-communist, non-human rights violating, non IP stealing regime), it’s an easy and ethical one. For example, I gladly pay extra for US or Taiwan made tools. I‘m also glad the auto manufactures and electronic manufacturers are waking up and building chip foundries in the US. If we’ve learned anything from the past 3 years, the global economy is overrated.

I'm glad Liberty took care of the OP and stood by their product. The point of my original post was I had them on the top of my list because I wanted to support a US company and their website suggests that their skis are made in Colorado too, which looking over their site again is totally misleading. At least the device in my hand says Designed in Cupertino, Made in the PRC. I am also glad there are plenty of alternative skis made in the US, Canada, and Europe. Moment just moved to the top of my list.
While their website does not specifically state where their skis are currently made I’m not sure it’s misleading. It does state in a few places that their HQ is located in Avon, CO. On their timeline they mention a factory in the Netherlands from 2011-2013 and a new factory in 2014 (unspecified location). IMHO, the fact that the skis are made in China is strategically omitted rather than intended deception.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
While their website does not specifically state where their skis are currently made I’m not sure it’s misleading. It does state in a few places that their HQ is located in Avon, CO. On their timeline they mention a factory in the Netherlands from 2011-2013 and a new factory in 2014 (unspecified location). IMHO, the fact that the skis are made in China is strategically omitted rather than intended deception.
"Strategically omitted" - I think you just re-emphasized my point. :roflmao: But, glad they took care of you.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
"Strategically omitted" - I think you just re-emphasized my point. :roflmao:
We have seen shitty skis made all over the world. All for the buy local mentality but we also need to be realistic and accept the fact that most of what we "buy local" is likely the derivative of overseas manufacturing for components and materials. Cars are a great example, many are assembled in NA ... from parts and components built in factories overseas. Also what is the premium you are willing to pay for a locally made product and is it on par from a quality perspective ... locally made does not always equate to great quality. And to that end made in China does not automatically equate to poor quality, but it almost always equates to a cheaper price.

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Strategically omitted" - I think you just re-emphasized my point. :roflmao: But, glad they took care of you.
I just finished shoveling my driveway and noticed that a Made in the USA sticker is placed in plain sight in the shovel. I think it’s probably safe to assume that if a product or manufacturer doesn’t specifically state proudly that it’s made in the USA it is not.

dovski

Skier
I just finished shoveling my driveway and noticed that a Made in the USA sticker is placed in plain sight in the shovel. I think it’s probably safe to assume that if a product or manufacturer doesn’t specifically state proudly that it’s made in the USA it is not.
True but the wood could be from Canada and the steel and hardware for the shovel from China. So sure it was assembled in the US, which technically qualifies as made in the USA ... but ...

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True but the wood could be from Canada and the steel and hardware for the shovel from China. So sure it was assembled in the US, which technically qualifies as made in the USA ... but ...
Yes, I'd prefer to buy a 100% US sourced and made product and might even be willing to pay a little more for it. However, I'm more interested in the quality of the product for my intended use and the customer service provided by the manufacturer.

dovski

Skier
Yes, I'd prefer to buy a 100% US sourced and made product and might even be willing to pay a little more for it. However, I'm more interested in the quality of the product for my intended use and the customer service provided by the manufacturer.
Completely agree with what you are saying. My key point is that what while many things say US made all that has to mean is that the final assembly happens in the US. Our supply chain is such that almost everything we consume is dependent on some form of foreign production. Very very few products are locally sourced and manufactured. Given the decline of the US manufacturing sector there are now a lot of things that we can no longer produce locally or that when we do the quality/capacity is not there i.e. high quality steel and aluminium pipes.

Some of what happens is truly shocking, for example did you know that it was cheaper to ship US raised chickens to China for processing and packing .... kid you not there is a huge business around this due to the limited capacity and increased cost of meat packing in the US. Cannot remember which large provider it was that was shipping frozen whole chickens to China for processing, packaging and then shipping them frozen back to the US, absolutely crazy, but apparently that is what is needed if you want to retail chicken breast at $1.99 a pound.

So next time you go to buy local, ask yourself what exactly does made in the USA or locally produced really mean.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Since the situation has been resolved to the satisfaction of the OP, we're going to close this thread before it gets even further off track. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online