• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski car rack question

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Would I be able to mount the ski rack in the attached photo on a round yakima cross bar? Not sure if the mouthing bracket is compatible with a round bar but it looks like it does as it has different size indents in it.

IMG_1051.JPG

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Looks compatible to me as well. I'd just make sure its on tight enough so the rack doesn't rotate on the round bars.

The beauty of the Yakima round bar is that when there are no skis to transport the scissor rack can be loosened and then rotated horizontal and re-tightened, reducing wind resistance.

Probably work with the OPs oval bar.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Honestly I would recommend putting skis inside the vehicle or in an enclosed box on top. Salt and road spray attacks the skis and specifically the bindings. Having the bindings stick is not worth the risk. They are lightly greased but can not handle being in hours of 60-70 MPH wind and salt spray mounted on top of a car and function perfectly over time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The OP lives in an area that does not use salt but sand. Are there better options like ski boxes? Sure, but if you have followed @murphysf's post since he joined, there is a uhmmm frugal consistancy to them. My guess is he found this rack on Craigslist or FB Market (I'd give him bonus points if he has the key;). My point is, he is finding a way to make skiing affordable for him and his family. I have a lot of respect for that, he is getting out there and and skiing. HE might find that some of his methods don't hold up to the test of time but it is better than NOT skiing. @crgildart would approve.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One of the nice things about @murphysf 's choice of bars is that he can fit the original HUGE Yakima deflectors - which will deflect a good amount of road grit as well as reduce the wind noise on unloaded bars. Did I mention more stable crosswind handling? Yes the giant wing deflectors can be felt in the steering wheel too.

Last edited:

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
The OP lives in an area that does not use salt but sand. Are there better options like ski boxes? Sure, but if you have followed @murphysf's post since he joined, there is a uhmmm frugal consistancy to them. My guess is he found this rack on Craigslist or FB Market (I'd give him bonus points if he has the key;). My point is, he is finding a way to make skiing affordable for him and his family. I have a lot of respect for that, he is getting out there and and skiing. HE might find that some of his methods don't hold up to the test of time but it is better than NOT skiing. @crgildart would approve.
OK I totally understand and meant nothing negative. I live in the NE salt belt so it taints my view. Cheers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK I totally understand and meant nothing negative. I live in the NE salt belt so it taints my view. Cheers
It wasn't meant at you in particular (thats why I didn't quote you). It is common to base recommendation based on our own experiences and sometimes miss what the person actually needs. I just was replying for clarification for other readers too. Cheers back at ya. :beercheer:

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Yes I have the key, actually two keys so I have a spare. Also the hex wrench to secure them as I take them off at the end of the season. I actually got them for free from a friend who didn't need them as he has a locker at Alpine. The photo was of the current vehicle I drive to Tahoe a 2000 RX300 but it has tons of miles so was thinking of getting a setup for our Honda Civic and another vehicle (not the RX300). I did a bit of research and found that the Yakima Q towers and round bar is the only setup (yakima or thule) that would work on both vehicles however I would need a different set of clips.

Speaking of frugal. A neighbor moved out and left a ton of stuff on the sidewalk strip. There was 42" Samsung LCD TV (along with the remote) and a Thule cargo carrier a long one about 5-6 feet long. I grabbed it, one of the locks was broken so I ordered a new lock and set of keys from Thule for around $20 and I'm in business. The only thing is that it is so long that if I put it on the RX300 I can't open my rear hatch (trunk). Plan is to use it on the other vehicles however they are not AWD.

I've been able to be very frugal with my approach to skiing, I have a 6 & 8 year old and have been able to get boots and skis that are no more than 2-3 years old for around $25- $30. Have been able to find two bedroom accommodations with a kitchen for $125-$175, I'm not staying in $60 motels. This all being said if things changed I would pay more if I had to.

I recall hearing a couple with two kids mentioning they dropped over $1k a day at N*, I guess that was between accommodations, private lessons, rentals etc!!!!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess that was between accommodations, private lessons, rentals etc!!!!
Given that N* private full day lessons (single student or family) are almost $900 :eek:, I'm guessing it was actually group lessons.

Sponsor

Staff online