• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski area conditions spin

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's this morning's conditions report for Stevens Pass (after 6" of snow overnight, followed by rain). I had to laugh.

Happy Valentine's Day skiers and boarders! We got some fresh snow to help us celebrate last night, and while the temperature did rise and bring in some of that other warmer type of precipitation, the mashed potato skiing should be creamy and glorious today. Dress for the weather, and roll up here with someone special to celebrate Valentine's Day in the mountains. We'll be open from 9am to 10pm today.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Any soft snow that is not sticky is better than ice.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
True, however it was not "creamy and glorious" and it was a bit sticky. Rained all day, while I taught two classes of wet and complaining 6-8 year olds.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A ski instructor at a particular well-known windy resort was reportedly rebuked for tweeting that "It's great kite flying weather today!"

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Thank you all who embraced the wet and made the most out of Sunday! There were many smiles, happy kids and even someone dressed up as a penguin. Wind gusts peaked at 107 miles per hour atop Northwest today. Skiing its an outdoor sport.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pocono-ese:
packed powder=boilier plate ice

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was thinking yesterday of starting a thread sort of opposite of this. Our resort was deserted yesterday because of TW weathermen hyping up "fatally cold" temperatures. No wind and sun, yeah, it was cold, but it's a winter sport. Crowds looked like a typical Wednesday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yes yesterday was one of the best groomer days of the year at Stowe. Crowds were less than a typical Wednesday at least on the quad.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The good and bad of the east this year. You could have record (high) snowfalls until the end of the season and the slopes will be empty. The majorty of the recreational skiers have already written the year off and are looking forward to spring.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
It hasn't snowed at Red Lodge Mountain for nearly 2 months, but the base depth has remained steady at 20". The guy who does our ski tuning is working his tail off repairing skis. I saw one pair looked like someone had taken an axe to the bases, kid went off in the trees to try to find better snow.:doh: The ski area is built on granite.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
yes yesterday was one of the best groomer days of the year at Stowe. Crowds were less than a typical Wednesday at least on the quad.

If my pass hadn't been blacked out due to the President's Weekend holiday I would have been there... Were there any lines on the gondi?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a powder alert email from Snowbasin this morning. 6" (true, but that was YESTERDAY and Saturday night.) Today? Temps in the mid-40's, slush slush slush and PACKED with holiday crowds. Oh, and visibility was crap, too.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Did you make this? Pretty funny.

Nope, not mine. Mad River Glen Vermont regularly does "video snow reports"... that really was their snow report back in December. MRG does minimal snow making, so in a "winter" like we've had this year (i.e., we haven't had one), they suffer.

MRG is probably the most truthful place in America when it comes to their snow reports... They have advertised their conditions as "atrocious, but 100% open!" in the past.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope, not mine. Mad River Glen Vermont regularly does "video snow reports"... that really was their snow report back in December. MRG does minimal snow making, so in a "winter" like we've had this year (i.e., we haven't had one), they suffer.

MRG is probably the most truthful place in America when it comes to their snow reports... They have advertised their conditions as "atrocious, but 100% open!" in the past.

Great policy. I hate the spin on ski reports.

...or for that matter the spin put on anything.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Northstar, Heavenly (maybe other Vail Resorts) have taken to reporting the snow totals at the top of the mountain. In the past they've reported averages, as most resorts do.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Northstar, Heavenly (maybe other Vail Resorts) have taken to reporting the snow totals at the top of the mountain. In the past they've reported averages, as most resorts do.

Yeah, in the past I always thought it was a mid-mountain measurement.

Sponsor

Staff online