• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski and Board transportation

FatPowMongal49

Armada ARV 106, WC POW Rippe
Skier
Hello all! Just a quick question and I hope I am following all the rules here. I have been doing a ton of research and have been coming up empty handed. I am from San Diego and hold an ikon pass so I frequently travel to mammoth/ Colorado and Utah for sessions on the slope. I just got a brand new pair of armadas as well as my girlfriend so I really want to keep my skis in good condition. Meaning I don’t want to do the hitch mounted ski racks. I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee altitude. Finding roof racks under 350 has been hard and with a cargo box I’m looking at atleast a grand. I am curious if anyone has used a hitch mounted cargo rack with one of those huge cargo bags. The rack is 60 in long and the cargo bag fits right inside. My girlfriends skis would fit perfectly but mine are 67 in so there is that extra 7 in. Has anyone ever used this cost effective method. I’m curious if you’ve gotten your skis to fit by angling them since the bag is 24 in high.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a stupid question, but are there going to be 4 or more people in the car? If not, could you just put them inside?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all! Just a quick question and I hope I am following all the rules here. I have been doing a ton of research and have been coming up empty handed. I am from San Diego and hold an ikon pass so I frequently travel to mammoth/ Colorado and Utah for sessions on the slope. I just got a brand new pair of armadas as well as my girlfriend so I really want to keep my skis in good condition. Meaning I don’t want to do the hitch mounted ski racks. I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee altitude. Finding roof racks under 350 has been hard and with a cargo box I’m looking at atleast a grand. I am curious if anyone has used a hitch mounted cargo rack with one of those huge cargo bags. The rack is 60 in long and the cargo bag fits right inside. My girlfriends skis would fit perfectly but mine are 67 in so there is that extra 7 in. Has anyone ever used this cost effective method. I’m curious if you’ve gotten your skis to fit by angling them since the bag is 24 in high.
Will the skis not fit inside the Cherokee? I'd start there if there are only two of you traveling. Next option would be Craigslist in and around your area. Racks and boxes come up quite frequently. And welcome aboard!

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What Andy said, but if you go to the expense of a new box it will last a long time and fit on many different vehicles you might own in the future. A box will also hold more than skis so you can use it for other cargo at other times. Come to think of it a used box will also last a long time, etc., etc., etc.. Check out REI.com for racks, boxes that will fit your Altitude, they have a good sizing guide.

TS
FatPowMongal49

FatPowMongal49

Skier
Ya definitely I’m exploring all these options. It definitely is a little more expensive for my car since it has the SRT style racks. Basically just a raised piece of plastic that runs up on either side. I am more curious about the bag though because I already have a hitch mounted cargo tray if anyone has ever tried buying those huge bags that fit on it and then sticking the ski bags in there possibly at an angle. I definitely am going to invest in a roof box here soon it’s just me and my girlfriend just spent 2k doing our new ski set ups so another Grand is really out of the picture right now and we go to Mammoth basically every weekend and this coming will be the first with our new set ups. Ya they definitely fit inside the Jeep but I’m hauling a full car so that’s probably what I’ll do but it definitely ruins the comfortability of the back seaters. Really appreciate the quick responses!!

James

Out There
Instructor
What are these bags? Someone have a photo?
If one is forced to put skis on racks you may still be able to find binding covers. There used to be binding covers readily available lots of shops. Basically nylon bags with velcro and stretchy at the ends. These just went around bindings to keep dirt and salt out.
They've sort of dissappeared but may be around.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no hitch mount experience, so can't really picture what you are suggesting.
One thing I've seen on the freeway that may be semi-relevant: skis in the type of single ski bag that people fly with, with the whole bag in the roof rack.
If you go with any type of bag, make sure any strap ends or extra bag length are strapped tight to minimize noise and possible damage.
One not-exactly-relevant tip -- for webbing-strap tie downs, put a twist into any straight runs. It drastically reduces the amount of road noise.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ya definitely I’m exploring all these options. It definitely is a little more expensive for my car since it has the SRT style racks. Basically just a raised piece of plastic that runs up on either side.

Why not just get load bars for those racks and bungee some ski bags on directly?

Basically the same thing @mdf posted, except you just need the bars, no ski hold downs. Total cost $250ish or even less if you get the bars and ski bag second hand.

You can always get the box next year, or the year after that.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am curious if anyone has used a hitch mounted cargo rack with one of those huge cargo bags. The rack is 60 in long and the cargo bag fits right inside.

I wouldn't put $2k of skis on a make shift bumper mount rack/bag that is not designed for skis in the first place.

I would suggest putting the skis inside the Jeep until you can afford a roof rack.

I have a factory rack with crossbars on my Volvo XC70 wagon and I have a Yakima box that I don't use because I prefer to transport my skis inside my wagon. A ski box offers less security, and has a negative effect on mpg and handling.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
something doesnt make sense to me. 2019 vehicle, brand new skis, multiple ski trips planned, but can't afford the rack and box setup for $1000?

What is going on here financially? :huh:
Is it really the price that's getting you in terms of affording it, or the principle of such an expensive thing that you are not using too much
Or are you wondering if the hitch setup is better for reasons other than the price (like convenience /height and so on).

Here is one idea. if you are doing flyaway trips, similar to bungieing a cloth bag, a cheaper option is sport tube which you strap to the bars, and also reuse for your flight baggage.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I tried working with the "skis in bags on exterier rack" method for one season. Even really well secured and tight, the bags flap around in the 70 mph wind they are exposed to and quickly wear through flapping against razor sharp ski edges. Even a good luggage style padded bag can wear through in a couple hours of highway driving out there in the wind. YMMV..

TS
FatPowMongal49

FatPowMongal49

Skier
I uploded a picture of the bag on the hitch rack. Ya I mean 500 dollars on metal bars and 800 bucks on a big plastic box seems silly. I already have the hitch rack and I was curious if anyone has been able to fit skis in one of those cargo bags that I posted a picture of.

Hahahah I like that comment though it does seem weird why I wouldn’t just get it. Idk I guess I complicate things and try to find alternate solutions with things I already have. We hadn’t bought skis in like 4 years so that was necessary. Definitely wouldnt use the box much besides the skis.

Ugh. And ya we fly out to CO and stay with my brother for a week and usually Utah and Washington once a year so a high quality tube or roller ski bag definitely I am getting.

I definitely like the idea of pulling them covered and securely on the hitch. It alleviates wind resistance ease of removal. And I get to switch the back up camera on and watch them as I drive lmao. The bag is 60in long and 24 in tall or so.

I appreciate all the comments it’s nice just to have a plethora of ideas from different minds so it’s all very helpful.

Attachments

• DE9243E1-8D6C-4972-843C-2C22F31329CF.png
    DE9243E1-8D6C-4972-843C-2C22F31329CF.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_6390.jpg

That's the bag??
It seems just a touch crazy to put $2k of skis in there.
Just think about taking it off when you arrive. (If it's still there.) Covered with dirt and salt and ice.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We use our roof box year around. It’s proven to be very useful for us.

But if your trying to save some cash check craigslist for a used box. Sometimes REI gets returns on roof boxes (people buy them, use em for a weekend then return them like a dirtbag) or check rerack, they often have overstocked and slightly used Yakima/Thule products.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
You can find ski boxes on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace all summer long for $250. You can likely score the whole rig for $400-$550 if you are OK with used.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moving to Car Talk.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
+1 on roof box. It's most secure and safe. Impact on fuel economy and wind noise are noticeable but not large. Many of them can swallow a lot of stuff in addition to skis. Cost isn't the biggest drawback. All types of systems can get pretty expensive and most can be found on craigslist, etc. The biggest drawbacks of a cargo box are storage when no in use, lift height for loading and access to some garages or other low-clearance areas.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You can find ski boxes on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace all summer long for $250. You can likely score the whole rig for $400-$550 if you are OK with used.
Mine wa $50 and came with a bike tray and crossbars inside. Catch was seller didn't have the key so I had to pay like $16.00 for a lock core kit that came with the skeleton key to get it opened. Didn't need the crossbars because my Forester has the factory cross bars instead of rails. Bike tray also fit them.

Sponsor

Staff online