• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sideways toes. Why?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What is the advantage of having a binding toe with a sideways spring? I get how it helps with ROM in a touring binding, but what would make an Aaatack toe better than a Mojo, or a Jester toe better than an XCell. It seems to me that sometimes they are actually worse or at least less fully featured.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had this question for a while. I think where it started was with the ROM as you mentioned. With much design and technology coming from racing, we ask at that point, what race binding has a lateral spring? None, Atomic, Look, Marker and Tyrolia race bindings all have longitudinal springs.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thinking it through, you've answered your own question. Lighter, smaller (length wise), less features (smaller less room), harder to design good adjustment for (smaller less room and design of mechanism).

Are they worse not sure, but I'm sure they are a compromise to get the size that they are.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Fewer parts, less complexity, easier to make? Check! Mo' mony, mo' mony, mo'mony for the manufacturer than race bindings. hmmmm.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't taken either apart but just thinking abotu it, a longitudinal toe in it's most basic form looks like it would have less parts. I recall, and I will see if I cna find one, but Tyrolia posted schematics of their toes and they were pointing out how many parts were in them.

Sponsor

Staff online