• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Have been having a ton of lower back pain recently, went to a PT and found out, surprise surprise, that my SI joint is misaligned and acting up again. Currently doing a bunch of PT-assigned stretches to mitigate the discomfort. Does anyone else occasionally suffer from this problem, and do you find that skiing irritates it?

I asked my PT if skiing would be a bad idea with the back issue and she told me she had no idea because she doesn’t ski. She did say to avoid running and jumping for a while because of the high-impact. Ski season is a LOOONG way off, but still...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh yeah - I have a variety of back problems that go back a few decades... When my SI joints are acting up, I will experience discomfort but not pain. A trip to my chiropractor will straighten that out, so to speak. More substantial pain will have me resorting to pain meds, ice, stretches, etc. I keep skiing unless activity makes me hurt more in the moment. I don't think that skiing will make my issues worse, but it is just no fun to ski while in pain.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can't speak to your SI joint, but ...did the pain fire up when you were skating?

I ask because tight hamstrings will cause massive lower back pain - the curse of the int/int-adv weekend skate warrior.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to have lots of SI issues, not as many anymore since I don't play as much tennis, but one thing I remember is physio telling me to be careful with any exercises where you load with one leg forward, like lunges and split squats. I didn't really suffer many SI issues from skiing, it was definitely more of a tennis thing, where you end up in awkward positions, legs this way and that. With skiing, you (hopefully!) are a little more centered.

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've had lots of SI joint issues for about 10-12 years now. No one can diagnose an actual problem, making its treatment challenging. The pain was never really in my back, always in my lower hip/buttock region. I've had x-rays and MRI, and no one can find anything wrong. Grr. Happily, skiing never aggravated it. The push/pull motion (think: vacuuming, mopping) really lights it up but skiing, no. BTW, my Neato is my new best friend!

Sponsor

Staff online