P.S.A. Shipping Skis Best Practices/Questions

Discussion in 'Phil's Garage Sale and Ski Swap' started by laine, May 20, 2019.

1. laine

laine I ski like a girl. Fast. Skier

I got an offer for my DPS skis - with shipping to an FPO AP address. Does anyone have experience shipping to an FPO/APO? Any considerations I should be aware of? Restrictions?

I was thinking of packing them with the binding brakes zip-tied up, bindings facing in, skis head to toe, either getting a used cardboard ski box from a local store or trying to fabricate one myself. I'll use some cardboard around the tips and tails and throw in a little bubblewrap for good measure. Any other advice?

Please share any best practices you have with shipping skis with bindings on them. (I know removing the bindings is an option, but since I'm selling to a stranger, I'd rather ship it all together.)

Thanks!

(Note: I have the skis listed here and on eBay. The offer is from the eBay listing.)

surfsnowgirl likes this.
  2. Philpug

Philpug Notorious P.U.G. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Most ski shops are out of boxes 8x8xLong boxes this time if year. Personally, I keep a stock of them..as should you ;). I have never shipped to a FPO AP address.

surfsnowgirl and Doug Briggs like this.
  3. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Good info here:

4. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl Instructor Skier

I try to keep a ski box on hand just in case. I have one right now for the next time I need it. I think the proper way is to have the bases out and bindings towards each other with shipping tape around top and bottom to keep things immobile. I've shipped with the bases touching and bindings outward but I always tape the crap out of them to keep them from moving. I've also used super strength rubber bands to make the even with the skis so that skis fit in the box. FedEx often has boxes you can buy from them which I've done in a pinch. It's 2 boxes taped together. Same set up if you ship golf clubs,, telescope, etc. I've never shipped to a military base. A google search should prove helpful. Good luck!!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Big J and laine like this.
  5. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

I keep a few boxes, too. Base to base protects the bases.

What kind of bindings are on the skis? Some will come off without removing any screws from the skis.

BC. likes this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    laine

Skis have Attack2 13s on them. I did some googling and I think I can only ship via USPS to a military base. So I don't think I can use the Fedex boxes. Maybe I can get the boxes apart and turn them inside out?

If I can't get a box at a local shop, I was thinking of making one from regular boxes. That should be an interesting experiment.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  7. Dwight

Dwight Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid Admin Moderator

Yes, do this.

laine likes this.
  8. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

If you were coming this way, we have boxes.

Big J and laine like this.
  9. pause

pause Booting up Skier

I’ve spent a lot of time stationed overseas with APO/FPO addresses. Talk with the purchaser and make sure he or she checks the restrictions for their exact location. Locations can vary for max size and weight. If they live at a major base it should be fine. I had a few skis (up to 191s) shipped to me flat with no issue. It will be USPS only, rate will be similar to shipping to East Coast if they live in Euro/Mid East or West Coast if they live in Asia. You will have to fill out a customs form at the post office, but not a big deal.

Wendy likes this.
  10. Thread Starter
    TS
    laine

Thanks @pause for the info. I emailed the guy on eBay, but he never responded and never paid, so no need to ship at this point. I filed an unpaid item ticket and am waiting for that to settle (4 days), and then I'll relist. I did do some research though and it should have been no problem to ship to him. His FPO zip code is in NY.

11. Wendy

Wendy Trying not to face plant Skier

Well, that sucks for you, though. I don’t understand some people....

laine and surfsnowgirl like this.
  12. ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier USSA Coach Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

Get the free fedex (or UPS) triangular boxes. They are approx 3 feet long. Pull them apart and turn inside out and tape 2 together length wise, fits most skis that way. You can either tape back as a rectangle box or as a triangle

13. Philpug

I have been done with Ebay for a while for this and the BS @surfsnowgirl went through. I am finding FBMarket to be the best (other than here ;) ) to buy things because you can see who the person actually is..along with seeing if you have mutual friends.

laine, BC. and surfsnowgirl like this.
  14. Thread Starter
    TS
    laine

I did that. I got 4 of them - so at least I'm prepared to ship if someone does want them.

Yeah, I know. I have the skis listed here and I'll likely bump it in the fall to push harder to sell. I was just putting them on eBay as a passive listing to see if I got any bites. At least I didn't lose any money - he didn't pay, so I didn't ship. I'll likely also list on FB Marketplace in the fall. I do sell a lot there, but I haven't seen a lot of premium skis listed, so I'm not sure it's where people go to look for something like that.

surfsnowgirl likes this.
  15. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

IME the problem with base to base is that so often the bindings manage to poke through the box during shipping. To prevent this takes a lot of padding and thus volume around the bindings. Bases out presents fewer "corners" to damage; the skis support the structure of the box along its whole length. Ski Essentials ships like this and it definitely works. YMMV.

laine and Doug Briggs like this.
  16. SallyCat

SallyCat Getting off the lift Skier

Agree. I ship bases out, with a cardboard layer under each binding where it hits the other ski's topsheet so there's no scuffing. Tie the bindings back with string. You don't need a lot of padding this way, either; pad each end of the box a bit and there's very little movement and the tips are protected.

laine likes this.
  17. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Never thought of rubber banding the brakes up? Or tying?

18. Thread Starter
    TS
    laine

I was gonna use zip ties.

surfsnowgirl likes this.
  19. Philpug

Wow, another use for them. ;)

laine and surfsnowgirl like this.
  20. Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski Making fresh tracks Skier

Rubber bands from grocery store vegetables are quite strong also. I would use those and zip ties.

Stev and surfsnowgirl like this.