• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shell For ZipFit

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well he was in a boot shop I go to showing them the new boot within the last month so i don't know what to tell you.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today I tried Nordica Dobermann 5s, Salomon S/Pro Alpha's, Head Raptor WCR 120 and the Promachine again. The Dobermann in 26/26.5 was way too short. In 27/27.5 it felt very good but its to low above the arch. The S/ProAlpha has to much room. They only had the WCR 120 in 27 so it was to big but in the right size this boot has possibilities. The Pro machine is still the leader. Great fit for the back 3/4s of the foot and ankle.

I have been consistently told, by now 4 boot fitters, based on fit of the boots I have tried that the Shadow, RS, K2 Recon LV, all the Fischer's will be too generous of a fit. I think I have tried all the shells that would likely fit? Interesting process trying to find a good shell match for my ZipFits.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Today I tried Nordica Dobermann 5s, Salomon S/Pro Alpha's, Head Raptor WCR 120 and the Promachine again. The Dobermann in 26/26.5 was way too short. In 27/27.5 it felt very good but its to low above the arch. The S/ProAlpha has to much room. They only had the WCR 120 in 27 so it was to big but in the right size this boot has possibilities. The Pro machine is still the leader. Great fit for the back 3/4s of the foot and ankle.

I have been consistently told, by now 4 boot fitters, based on fit of the boots I have tried that the Shadow, RS, K2 Recon LV, all the Fischer's will be too generous of a fit. I think I have tried all the shells that would likely fit? Interesting process trying to find a good shell match for my ZipFits.
Wow. You have way more patience or free time than I have. One boot fitting every several years is more than enough for me. My last two RX-LV's were close enough once I added a few tubes Omfit.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

My experience has been that bootboards are almost always too thick and hold your foot too high in the shell (vertical positioning). If you try that Dobie 5 again, pull the bootboard and put your bare foot in the shell while sitting down. Get your heel and ankle aligned best with the contours of the boot, then assess the actual height you would have over your instep. I can pretty much guarantee that you can make a lot of boots work if you're willing (or the fitter) to modify the bootboard.

foggy1

Booting up
Skier
Amazingly difficult to find higher end boots in Summit County CO. I guess that shows what a small part of the market it is

As a resident, I certainly agree with your comment. This is only my 4th season in Breck, but I feel almost everything ski-related is designed for the tourist who skis sub 10 days/yr. Been to A Racers Edge a couple times and if visiting "in season", it's like an assembly line.

The majority of the more advanced skiers, for lack of a better term, come from the Front Range and purchase their gear there I imagine.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
My experience has been that bootboards are almost always too thick and hold your foot too high in the shell (vertical positioning). If you try that Dobie 5 again, pull the bootboard and put your bare foot in the shell while sitting down. Get your heel and ankle aligned best with the contours of the boot, then assess the actual height you would have over your instep. I can pretty much guarantee that you can make a lot of boots work if you're willing (or the fitter) to modify the bootboard.
We pulled the boot boards and discussed whether or not they could be shaved down enough to make it work. The boot fitter did not think he would be able to get it low enough.

I am going to go with the Pro Machine and glue in heel wedges on the back (poor dorsiflexion) and shims on the front of the boot board and I should be good. For my foot the Pro Machine is near perfect. Very tight but tolerable fit on the back end, with I think easily fixable volume in the front end. I think the shim in the front and the heel wedge in the back can be blended to avoid any gas pedal effect. Certainly the best alternative of everything I have tried.

Last edited:
TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a resident, I certainly agree with your comment. This is only my 4th season in Breck, but I feel almost everything ski-related is designed for the tourist who skis sub 10 days/yr. Been to A Racers Edge a couple times and if visiting "in season", it's like an assembly line.

The majority of the more advanced skiers, for lack of a better term, come from the Front Range and purchase their gear there I imagine.
Racer's Edge, AMR and Podium Sports are the best shops from an in stock product perspective in the Breck/Frisco/Silverthorn area. Racer's Edge carries a strong line of high end boots but understandably do not carry all brands. I think most people could find a good fit with what they carry and their boot fitters are excellent. Unfortunately for me Atomic/Lange/Technica/Fischer don't make anything that will work without major shell adjustments.

Sponsor

Staff online