• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharp Enough?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I started tuning my side edges this season. I have the racewax bevel guides and moonflex 200. It seems pretty straight forward, but I do have a question. How do I know if the edges are sharp enough? Is it the "no more scratchy" sounds when the stone go over the edges? Or is it "shave off finger nails sharp?

Oh, a random question, can I use regular rubbing alcohol with water as lubricant?

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
I am not an expert tuner. I use the moonflex 200/400/600 files and this stuff
Every week, I touch up with 400/600. I only use 200 if I have some edge damage to clean up.
When i use the 200, I use a sharpie on the edges. hold it perpendicular and draw it along the top of the metal edge. After the link is gone, I make passes with the 400 & 600 . I do 4 tip-tail each with the 400/600.
I used to use alcohol and water but prefer the lapping fluid.
I gauge sharpness based upon how they feel when I ski :) and my approach to edge maintenance works for me.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I look for "shave off fingernails sharp", but SMOOTH. Lightly running your fingers themselves down the edges should not result in cuts. That means there's a burr. So I run through a series of stones that end with a fine Ceramic stone, roughly 1800 grit. Then run a hard blue gummi lightly down the edge.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it the "no more scratchy" sounds when the stone go over the edges? Or is it "shave off finger nails sharp?

Definitely "cut off your finger sharp."
If you are using a 200 moonflex, you are not really "sharpening." The process is more deburring and/or polishing. Unless your skis aren't really "dull."

If the ski is really dull the only way to bring them back to sharp is either with files and/or grinder on the side edge. If the skis are truly dull then you may even need a base grind.

1608839669345.png

1608839685508.png

Some will say one can "sharpen" with a diamond stone. I tended to agree with them in principle, but it will take a long time. A very long time. Like hell freezes over type of time frame. They are perfectly welcome to the Quixotic quest. I have better things to do with my time so power edge grinder it is.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have come to the conclusion that sharpess, like tune, is a matter of taste. For my taste, shave off scrapings from finger nails is almost sharp enough, and cut you if you grip them tightly with an ungloved hand or shave off your beard is sharp enough. I only use a gummy for fixing dings, or removing rust.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How do I know if the edges are sharp enough? Is it the "no more scratchy" sounds when the stone go over the edges? Or is it "shave off finger nails sharp?

AFTER you get the "no more scratchy" sounds from your 200 grit, put a 2nd cut file in your bevel guide and use that to cut yourself a nice sharp edge.

I don't know which side bevel guide you have, but you really want to use the same one.

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have 1, 2, and 3 side bevel guide for my family's skis, will put 3 on my skis when I have to a chance to go to a ski shop. I know 200 stone pretty much just deburring and polishing.
2nd cut is just medium file, right? I'll get one from racewax. How often do you file? After filing, use higher grit stone to polish again?

Bruce, I'm not cutting my fingers off for skiing. I do enough stupid things on skis already :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
2nd cut is just medium file, right? I'll get one from racewax.

Keep in mind that files are not like diamonds - they have a very definite preferred cutting angle. It's easy to find. They cut fast and they cut long wire-like slivers when you have it right, but your guide has to be able to hold them at that angle.

File as often as you feel you need to.

Polishing is optional; you can ski them like they are after filing, just take the burr off.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I started tuning my side edges this season. I have the racewax bevel guides and moonflex 200. It seems pretty straight forward, but I do have a question. How do I know if the edges are sharp enough? Is it the "no more scratchy" sounds when the stone go over the edges? Or is it "shave off finger nails sharp?

Oh, a random question, can I use regular rubbing alcohol with water as lubricant?
Here you go.

Sponsor

Staff online