• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seismic activity in Yellowstone National Park

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Woke up to this tweet and news story that made me think about how small we are on this planet.
We'll be driving through parts of Yellowstone on our way to Big Sky in a week.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You know I do occasionally think about possible outcomes with the Yellowstone supervolcano. Supposed to erupt every 630k years.. last eruption 630k years ago... :ogbiggrin: Fortunately the error in that is easily twenty lifetimes so I'm good.. Right?!?!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You know I do occasionally think about possible outcomes with the Yellowstone supervolcano.

Outcomes? You mean like surviving cockroaches evolving into geologists, only to have night terrors in their own right?

Supposed to erupt every 630k years.. last eruption 630k years ago... :ogbiggrin: Fortunately the error in that is easily twenty lifetimes so I'm good.. Right?!?!

Meh, by that time both Kikai and that gang of stratos in Alaska that might be one super will probably getcha.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Did you know the Caldera is continually moving? It used to be over North of Boise and has worked its way over to where it is now over time. That and Lake Bonneville blowouts shaped what South Idaho looks like.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I just googled "How often does Yellowstone experience earthquakes"; first hit indicated that it's between 1500 and 2500 a year, which averages between 5 and 7 earthquakes a day, every day. :eek:

Obviously "20 quakes in two hours" is a higher-than-average rate, but I wonder how rare it really is.

https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/monitoring-earthquakes-yellowstone-national-park indicates that the quakes usually come in swarms.

Obviously the area is extremely seismically active... it's interesting to see statistics on just how active it is.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have a friend who some years ago got an earthquake app that alerts you. I basically had to tell him to stop sending me alerts under 4. That’s for the Northeast/mid Atlantic.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Outcomes? You mean like surviving cockroaches evolving into geologists, only to have night terrors in their own right?

Meh, by that time both Kikai and that gang of stratos in Alaska that might be one super will probably getcha.
They're talking 2" of ash in my neck of the woods. Like 2' in the Midwest...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They're talking 2" of ash in my neck of the woods. Like 2' in the Midwest...

Sure - but that's just ash.

The cockroach geologists will have a fun time tracing the acid rain and the plant/crop failures and the sharp drop in temps followed by long-term greenhousing. I expect them to have all sorts of pretty, faceted, multiple perspective graphs and things :)

Sponsor

Staff online