• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seeking recommendation for instructor at A Basin

Gnarvin

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi,

I have decided on a trip to A Basin this spring. I am frustrated with the level of skiing that I am stuck at and am looking at possibly a private lesson or group lesson a day or two during my trip.

I am probably what most would consider an "advanced intermediate" skill wise. My usual ski vacation spot is Alta. I can reasonably confidently make it down any of the groomed runs there, and am starting to enjoy more off-piste skiing. I am able to make it down some of the runs off of the high traverse (sunspot, race course), though not confidently, smoothly, or gracefully. I would like to be able to ski any in bounds run at Alta confidently (Gunsight, High Rustler, etc) and smoothly some day. By far, my biggest impediment at this time is moguls and steeps.

I have had an extremely unsatisfying experience with private lessons at Alta in the recent past. I scheduled 2 half day private lessons with an instructor who came highly recommended from a different website and I had a bad experience. I specifically told the instructor what I was interested in (off piste, moguls) and received less than what I was expecting. The first problem was that the instructor wasn't exactly personable and seemed frustrated with me at numerous points during the lessons. For example, my ski boots are fitted very snug and I have to unbuckle my boots for chair rides and then buckle them at the top; the instructor seemed annoyed to have to wait the extra few seconds for me. Also, the mogul instruction only consisted of "keep really forward and follow me and turn where I turn." There was no conceptual intro to moguls, no discussion of mogul features, no discussion of different tactics to make it down mogul runs. Another point of frustration on my end, was that I would ask technique/tactics questions on the chair rides, and instead of answering the questions, the instructor would seem annoyed and would either ignore me, change the subject, or say that we would talk about that later. Basically, the impression I got was that the answers were highly guarded secrets and that the instructor would tell me the answers when and if he decided to, probably if I took more lessons. I did take away one useful exercise/drill from the two days of private instruction (pole drag drill), but I obviously was expecting much more.

I understand that a lesson is just a starting point and then I need to put the work in; that is exactly what I would be happy to do if I got better instruction about actual technique/tactics, what to focus on, what sensations to try to feel, where to look to turn on moguls, etc. I would appreciate it if anyone would have any recommendations for an instructor who is patient and is really good at talking through concepts rather than just telling me to turn where they turn and emulate them. Cost is a concern, so I would also consider group lessons if they come highly recommended.

Thanks,
Gnarvin

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, very sorry for your less than stellar past experience. Lessons can, unfortunately, be hit or miss. No knowledge of A-Basin staff, but some ideas. If you decide on booking a private lesson, how about telephoning well in advance, and asking to speak with one of the ski school supervisors? Realize that supes are busy early in the day, until 10:30 or so, then again around 1:00 and at the end if the day. In between they should have some slack time. Discuss your needs, and your thoughts on a plan to advance your skills, and ask for an instructor recommendation. Then see if you can have a phone conversation with the assigned instructor in advance, and see if you have some rapport. I believe any school will be happy to do this for a prospective private lesson, and will be favorably impressed by your dedication to learning.

For one or more group lessons, you won't know your instructor in advance, but that conversation with a supervisor could still be valuable. Ask for advice on the best times to book to get a very small group, and for info on any special programs the mountain might have. If you play your cards right, might turn out to be a bargain compared to privates!

No one is REALLY going to know your needs without seeing you ski. However, your remarks are suggestive. You are only "reasonably confident" on the toughest groomers, and find steeps challenging. You probably need to build much stronger short turns. This is where any weaknesses tend to show up--they simply require much better fundamental skills than do passable medium radius turns, and they're what you'll need for steeps and bumps. If you will have the patience to take some lessons building those skills mostly on groomers, I bet your mogul skiing will start to come together.

Finally, if you have a legitimate disatisfaction with a lesson, again do not hesitate to speak with a supervisor. The mountain is likely to offer you some accommodation. An individual instructor will not have authority to do this.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi,

I have decided on a trip to A Basin this spring. I am frustrated with the level of skiing that I am stuck at and am looking at possibly a private lesson or group lesson a day or two during my trip.

I am probably what most would consider an "advanced intermediate" skill wise. My usual ski vacation spot is Alta. I can reasonably confidently make it down any of the groomed runs there, and am starting to enjoy more off-piste skiing. I am able to make it down some of the runs off of the high traverse (sunspot, race course), though not confidently, smoothly, or gracefully. I would like to be able to ski any in bounds run at Alta confidently (Gunsight, High Rustler, etc) and smoothly some day. By far, my biggest impediment at this time is moguls and steeps.

I have had an extremely unsatisfying experience with private lessons at Alta in the recent past. I scheduled 2 half day private lessons with an instructor who came highly recommended from a different website and I had a bad experience. I specifically told the instructor what I was interested in (off piste, moguls) and received less than what I was expecting. The first problem was that the instructor wasn't exactly personable and seemed frustrated with me at numerous points during the lessons. For example, my ski boots are fitted very snug and I have to unbuckle my boots for chair rides and then buckle them at the top; the instructor seemed annoyed to have to wait the extra few seconds for me. Also, the mogul instruction only consisted of "keep really forward and follow me and turn where I turn." There was no conceptual intro to moguls, no discussion of mogul features, no discussion of different tactics to make it down mogul runs. Another point of frustration on my end, was that I would ask technique/tactics questions on the chair rides, and instead of answering the questions, the instructor would seem annoyed and would either ignore me, change the subject, or say that we would talk about that later. Basically, the impression I got was that the answers were highly guarded secrets and that the instructor would tell me the answers when and if he decided to, probably if I took more lessons. I did take away one useful exercise/drill from the two days of private instruction (pole drag drill), but I obviously was expecting much more.

I understand that a lesson is just a starting point and then I need to put the work in; that is exactly what I would be happy to do if I got better instruction about actual technique/tactics, what to focus on, what sensations to try to feel, where to look to turn on moguls, etc. I would appreciate it if anyone would have any recommendations for an instructor who is patient and is really good at talking through concepts rather than just telling me to turn where they turn and emulate them. Cost is a concern, so I would also consider group lessons if they come highly recommended.

Thanks,
Gnarvin

Sorry, that was a really bad experience. I think, unusually bad. I have worked with many instructors, and I only had one experience like the one you mentioned. It was a bummer. Since then, I always ask for recommendations here and it's been great.

For what you are describing, you'll need at least a two to three hours of private. I've been working on these things this year, fwiw. Work in progress. I think you'll be working on side-slips, pivot-slips, short-turns, all in groomers. and then moving to terrain (bumps and steeps) to exercise tactics around those skills. At least that has been my experience.

Anyways, we have a large CO crew here, let's get some recommendations.

TS
G

Gnarvin

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all of the advice so far. I am sure I need to work on some fundamentals to strengthen my short turns and would be happy to work on those for a bit. I will call the ski school this week and hopefully can talk to Gates and/or book a private with him. Any other advice would be appreciated, as well!

Sponsor

Staff online