• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
From this article: https://www.aspendailynews.com/news...449dc600-54cd-11e8-8ddd-cff6ba7a83a3.html#ath

"Two Montana resorts, Whitefish and Bridger Bowl, set ticket sales records as did Jackson Hole, Wyo., Stevens Pass in Washington and Schweitzer Mountain, Idaho. Michigan saw two ski areas, Boyne and Mt. Bohemia, with seasons that extended well into late April."

Let's take a look at the window prices for these areas that set new records.

Whitefish $79
Bridger $60
Stevens Pass $79
Schweitzer $79
Jackson Hole $136

Jackson's an outlier here, but I'd say the noticeable places setting records are the lesser known places with cheaper lift tickets. They kind of zip by the affordability issue in the article which is mostly worrying about decreases in skier visits. Hmm.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Being favoured by snow in a season that generally saw sucky snowfall until well post Xmas for places south of JH also a factor?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Both?

Big Sky and Whistler also favored by the snow god. But they didn’t set any records. Could be when people change destination, the high window price were a deterrent?

Or simply they had such a high record (especially Whistler) it’s harder to surpass. The smaller mountains usually cater to locals can see a significant increase when tourists starts to come in...

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I figure Stevens Pass is in there because of the huge Amazon influx in the Seattle area. The city and environs are growing incredibly fast. Stevens is 1 - 1.5 hours from the northern part of the metro area. However, I didn't notice any out of the ordinary crowds on weekdays this past season.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Both?

Big Sky and Whistler also favored by the snow god. But they didn’t set any records. Could be when people change destination, the high window price were a deterrent?

Or simply they had such a high record (especially Whistler) it’s harder to surpass. The smaller mountains usually cater to locals can see a significant increase when tourists starts to come in...

FWIW, Jackson normally sees high 500,000's, Big Sky high 400,000's, Whitefish high 300,000's, Bridger lower 200,00's. Whistler over 1 million, so I'm sure there's something in that. But you'd think if folks were driving north they'd stop at Big Sky and Jackson first. It looks like they changed flights entirely.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A growth in the B-List level resorts based on better snow? Colorado, Utah, and early season California being light in the snow department might have sent more skiers North? Why Big Sky did not show a jump is a head scratcher though. Also surprised that Crystal did not show a spike for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Wonder what happened with the Canadian Interior stats?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Wonder what happened with the Canadian Interior stats?

The B.C. interior along with Alberta had another excellent snow year.

Sun Peaks set a new record for skier visits for the 3rd year in a row, surpassing the 400k mark. Last summer SP recorded 200k summer visitors as well

Sun Peaks has announced a $60M investment in lifts, accommodation, infrastructure and services over the next 3-5 years. This summer a new fixed grip lift goes in (with a plan to lengthen and make high speed when demand indicates) .and also a 30% capacity increase for the Sundance Quad, the most popular existing chair.

Silver Star is putting in a Gondola this summer.

Whitewater replaced the old 2 seat Summit chair with a Quad and built a second day lodge last summer.

Revelstoke did a 25% capacity lift increase last summer and installed a summer gravity Mountain Coaster with plans to expand it for this summer. The joke around Revy is that the summer Mountain Coaster is subsidizing the winter operations.....and it may not be that much of a joke.

Red has done an internet crowdfunding to pay for expansion.

So, overall, even without actual stats available, it is safe to say that the Canadian interior ski industry is doing well.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I've been searching out the smaller and affordable places the last few years and am having more fun doing it! My most expensive ticket this year was $85 here in Michigan.

PS - Boyne Mt here in MI closed on May 6. Making it to the last weekend in April is pretty normal for them.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
all BC/Alberta ski areas day tickets are under $79 US
except Whistler which is getting to be almost as expensive as Jackson Hole
that and the big increase in room rates probably is why it was less crowded this year
Snow was very good everywhere in our region this year.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
In addition to the aforementioned Montana areas, Red Lodge, coming in at $59 at the window, and $40ish online also had a banner year. I am so glad to live in the Northern Rockies!

From this article: https://www.aspendailynews.com/news...449dc600-54cd-11e8-8ddd-cff6ba7a83a3.html#ath

"Two Montana resorts, Whitefish and Bridger Bowl, set ticket sales records as did Jackson Hole, Wyo., Stevens Pass in Washington and Schweitzer Mountain, Idaho. Michigan saw two ski areas, Boyne and Mt. Bohemia, with seasons that extended well into late April."

Let's take a look at the window prices for these areas that set new records.

Whitefish $79
Bridger $60
Stevens Pass $79
Schweitzer $79
Jackson Hole $136

Jackson's an outlier here, but I'd say the noticeable places setting records are the lesser known places with cheaper lift tickets. They kind of zip by the affordability issue in the article which is mostly worrying about decreases in skier visits. Hmm.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In addition to the aforementioned Montana areas, Red Lodge, coming in at $59 at the window, and $40ish online also had a banner year. I am so glad to live in the Northern Rockies!

But was it a new record? It doesn't look like they've been on an upward trend. I don't have their latest numbers. Do you?
Screenshot_20180515-121457.png

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
I figure Stevens Pass is in there because of the huge Amazon influx in the Seattle area. The city and environs are growing incredibly fast. Stevens is 1 - 1.5 hours from the northern part of the metro area. However, I didn't notice any out of the ordinary crowds on weekdays this past season.
Maybe, maybe not. Amazon work schedules are rumored to be brutal. Are Amazonians actually allowed to ski?

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
The B.C. interior along with Alberta had another excellent snow year.

Whitewater replaced the old 2 seat Summit chair with a Quad and built a second day lodge last summer.

So, overall, even without actual stats available, it is safe to say that the Canadian interior ski industry is doing well.

Note that Whitewater self-limits to some extent. They have no snowmaking and no plans to install any. Their season is deliberately short (115 days this year). The place is supported by skiing, period. Pure and simple, as they say. No spring extensions, regardless of snow quantity or conditions.

This year, they had about 11 feet of settled base on closing day. They closed anyway.

They pretty much need 4 feet on the ground just to open, so November skiing is not going to happen.

Whitewater had a great season, but that didn't make it any longer.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Micro Softers ski. Amazonians not so much, but some for sure.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Sibhusky, no, I don't, although I tried to find them. I was going off the Billings Gazette's story. I don't believe it was a record year, but I did read where they recorded a record day. I believe it was over the Presidents' Day weekend. Sorry it wasn't a perfect fit, but I do believe their price point and proximity to North Dakota helps them out and supports your other point.
Take care,
Bob

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
On Schweitzer, it was a record-setting snowfall year with 434 inches over the course of the season, not including the 18" or so that fell just after the season ended. Upon closing, there was still 182" near the top per Snotel. That total snowfall compares to an advertised average of 300" per year. It's worth mentioning that we lost about 50" of snowpack on Thanksgiving weekend due to heavy rain and warm temps.

As for skier visits, the prior record was around 235,000 and was exceeded by 20,000 to 255,000 skier visits over a 141 day season. Average season length is 130 days so the additional days certainly helped with skier visits as did the lack of snow elsewhere in the country early in the season. It was interesting on the lift; we talked to people who came there from all over the country. Considering Schweitzer is largely just a regional ski area, not a destination, the number of people from all over was kind of weird.

All in all, a great season that will hopefully parlay into further investment in skiing infrastructure. The management has really done a nice job there over the years and I'm hoping the trend continues with a lift replacement in the back bowl (scheduled for 2019/20 season) and maybe some more glading in some particular areas.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All in all, a great season that will hopefully parlay into further investment in skiing infrastructure. The management has really done a nice job there over the years and I'm hoping the trend continues with a lift replacement in the back bowl (scheduled for 2019/20 season) and maybe some more glading in some particular areas.

They’re finally replacing Snow Ghost? Cool. Are they planning to duplicate what they did with the Basin quad and Lakeview triple on the front side?

Sponsor

Staff online