• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scraping the wax

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is probably a dumb question, but which way do you scrape? Do you push the scraper or drag it? Does it matter? I always push it like a snow shovel. but the I saw some people pulling / dragging it. Have I been doing it wrong? Are there any pros or cons to metal vs plastic scrapers?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I pull with plastic scraper. I was told as long as the scraper is sharp, it doesn’t matter.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am assuming though you may also want to ask ask that other question about orientation? And whether you wanted to talk about scraping like a snow shovel, or more like "butter-the-toast" orientation?
That typically is the hot debate around scraper orientation, whether you scrape like a shovel, or like a butter knife on toast. Push/pull is not as important or debated.

Sometimes I do need to do a true "snowshovel" "scrape the paint off" technique but usually just for awkward parts tips and tails and with old credit cards or smaller tools. But the main section is always butter-the toast orientation with the scraper.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sometimes I drag the ski across the scraper... the scraper being the snow under the ski during the first run of the day.

But, when I actually remember to scrape, it's pushing, tip to tail. Take a 10 second break and sharped the scraper edge between skis.

Probably doesn't matter which way the scraper edge is used if you hit it with a brush after scraping..

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I do it like this (scraper moving to the right, tip-to-tail):
1606263706114.png

(I stole the photo from here after a random internet search).

I typically push, but I don't think it matters whether you pull or push.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Some push, some pull. It's what ever works for you.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The scraper, ski and wax react to the forces applied to the scraper, regardless of how you apply that force. That being said, some techniques are easier than others, and when you get fatigued, it could help to change technique. What matters is "is the wax being removed?"

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't scrape. I just let the iron put down a smooth layer, then let the snow do the scraping. No mess to clean up.

I have A-B tested by scraping and brushing one ski but not the other. If there's a difference, I can't feel it.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is probably a dumb question, but which way do you scrape? Do you push the scraper or drag it? Does it matter? I always push it like a snow shovel. but the I saw some people pulling / dragging it. Have I been doing it wrong? Are there any pros or cons to metal vs plastic scrapers?
Push-pull whatever floats your boat.

Metal can risk gouging the base more than plastic.

If you're doing ptex candle repairs, then you want to use a metal scraper for that.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You're in your usual cranky mood. Aren't you? :duck: :ogbiggrin:
Yes. Your post was amusing, though.

I am just speculating that the folks who don't scrape must be living in some alternate reality of experience on snow. Maybe they also take showers with raincoats on and think Parkay tastes just like butter. :huh:

But, back to KG's comment, maybe I just need an attitude adjustment.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am just speculating that the folks who don't scrape must be living in some alternate reality of experience on snow. Maybe they also take showers with raincoats on and think Parkay tastes just like butter. :huh:

But, back to KG's comment, maybe I just need an attitude adjustment.

About 15 years ago, a good friend confided in me that he doesn't feel any differences between skis when he demo. Then he got better and changed his tune. :ogcool:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Old rusty steel snow shovels work best for getting the wax off snowboards, helps them have control by adding great texture to the base :ogbiggrin: helping keep them safe.

If that doesn’t work, hacking away with the shovel definitely will. Remember this technique is for snowboards.

Keep snowboarders safe offer to help wax their boards and scrape on.

Sponsor

Staff online