• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England School me on Killington

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking of spending a day or two at Killington, since I'm trying to milk the last days out of my Ikon pass (sorry guys). Anyway, historically I've stayed away, b/c I never bonded with the mountain. Only place I've ever been where my wife was happily zooming down a blue groomer only to be deposited on a double-diamond bump run with no escape route/alternative. Also, for size of mountain, it seemed like it had fewer runs than others.

But...maybe that's all in the past. I'm looking for some fun advanced-but-not-full-on-expert skiing. Glades, yes; tight trees, no. Steep groomers, blue/black ungroomed, yes; frozen double-diamond bumps, no.

Thoughts/advice?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is timely. I am going the first weekend of April. I haven't been there in 30 years. It can't have changed much could it? :rolleyes:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know the mountain very well but we were there in November and there were runs for all levels from the gondola to the base.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We are there every weekend after our local mountains close. Will be there starting April 12th. There should still be plenty of blues and blacks open. I'm guessing by that point we'll be down to all the runs off snowdown, superstar quad and northridge area but hopefully more will still be open.

When are you thinking of going?

Last edited:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am partial to the Skyepeak area, some nice blue runs. Can spend half the day over that way,

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of options at Killington. But it is the east and it's spring, so picking and choosing based on time of day, temps, sun, etc. is key. Generally Bear is a good place to hit early in the spring before it softens too much. The Superstar side of Skye and the Canyon (with exception of Lower East Fall) will generally be the last to soften. With the new 6-pack bubble on Snowdon as well as the tunnels and other changes, that area is skiing very differently than it did in past years.

And frankly, I can't think of a single blue run that would dump you on to a double diamond bump run without warning. Someone wasn't paying attention.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Calling @Phelmut , @Guy in Shorts .
@KingGrump .
Your requirements are too specific for my Kton knowledge. I recommend eating at the top during slightly off hours. Fantastic view if it's nice.

I am like the worst person to talk to about groomers. Don't remember when I was last on one.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
And frankly, I can't think of a single blue run that would dump you on to a double diamond bump run without warning. Someone wasn't paying attention.
Upper Double Dipper before they had the rope gates comes to mind.

Anyway, It's a lot about timing, conditions, and weather, not just trail recommendations. The big Blue improvement this year is Bunny Buster and the 6 pack, and you can ski on and say goodbye to the NRT. Let us know when, and more details can be given.

This is timely. I am going the first weekend of April.
FYI, Bear Mtn Mogul Challenge is that weekend.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Upper Double Dipper before they had the rope gates comes to mind.

Yeah, that's what I'd say too.

"But...maybe that's all in the past. I'm looking for some fun advanced-but-not-full-on-expert skiing. Glades, yes; tight trees, no. Steep groomers, blue/black ungroomed, yes; frozen double-diamond bumps, no. "

For glades- There pretty much is going to be tight trees ( unless we have a communication break down here, anf your idea of tight trees are different than mine ), I'd say look at Pasties over on the Snowden chair, if that's too tight for you then look at Rams Head Glades ( can't remember the name ), should be on the map. Devil's Den on Bear is not too tight. Stay away from Anarchy and the like, same with Growler.

Steep groomers are everywhere, i.e. Cascades, Super Star. Not too steep - Sky Lark, Bitter Sweet. If you're not concerned with finding sun softened snow, Start at the Snowden area. Lot's of blue groomers and there won't be any bump surprises. Then head to the Super Star chair and hit Sky Lark and Bitter Sweet. Needles Eye will have blue cruisers too. Bear will be whatever it is- always a groomer down though.

As far as ungroomed goes: Unless there's a dump, the ungroomed will be bumps, and they could be frozen. The tree runs will be bumped up too BTW.

There's plenty to ski there for all levels regardless. I don't know when you were there last, but they've restructured a lot of the traverses, so you'll most likely have a new experience there.

James

Out There
Instructor
If moguls count as groomed than I guess Cascade, Double Dipper, Superstar, even Skyelark are all groomers. I've never skied them in April without bumps.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
If moguls count as groomed than I guess Cascade, Double Dipper, Superstar, even Skyelark are all groomers. I've never skied them in April without bumps.

All those could be a groomer til 11am, bumps by noon.

April can be cold still. Last year we had winter into April 21st or so. Then the switch was flipped. 20180421_114711.jpg 20180421_140617.jpg
This is last year, April 21.

Of course, this year will be different. That's why I say check on recent conditions.

Attachments

• 20180421_144217.jpg
    20180421_144217.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 1

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Yeah, that's what I'd say too.
For glades- There pretty much is going to be tight trees ( unless we have a communication break down here, anf your idea of tight trees are different than mine ), I'd say look at Pasties over on the Snowden chair, if that's too tight for you then look at Rams Head Glades ( can't remember the name ), should be on the map. Devil's Den on Bear is not too tight. Stay away from Anarchy and the like, same with Growler.
The advice here is somewhat true but highlights some of the problems may experience here at Killington. While Devil's Den is one of best mid winter glades the low elevation and south facing exposure causes it to close first as it is now. Centerpiece and Devil's Fiddle are now closed due to rotting melting snow. Growler trees are still open as well as almost all our other glades. Chasing the fast changing spring conditions in the trees is always an adventure.

Sponsor

Staff online