• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Satellite communication

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beyond the obvious extra layers, decent first aid and repair kits, and some way to start a fire -- these two communication devices are probably the most important things you can put in your bag from a safety perspective.

I'm stoked that Garmin recently changed their policy and now allows free up- and down-grading of inReach subscriptions from month to month.
The subscription model was what kept me from getting one of the satellite communication devices in the past (I got an Eplb instead).

bivystick has a a credit based system, so unused credits can be used another trip:
https://www.bivystick.com/

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
PLBs are great for their power, relatively low cost, and reliability.

However, there is a reason everyone I know who is in SAR carries a inReach first and maybe a PLB as a backup. It's because how critical two way communications can be in a rescue scenario. It can help either SAR or Flight for Life get to you faster by giving better location information, help them understand the necessary supplies, give updates of conditions (both of the weather, and the patient), etc etc etc.

It's also really nice when you want to send out a campsite location to a friend who is joining later, need words of encouragement from a loved one. Mine came in really handy recently when I let friends know I was going to be delayed returning from a backpacking trip as I had broken my ankle and was moving slow on the way out.

As for the bivvystick -- I personally don't see relying on a phone as well as a piece of relatively untested technology. Plus their monthly plan (required for connection to the network) is more expensive than the base inReach plan and gives you less features. All for the same price as an inReach mini that can be used as a standalone device.

Bivvy plan: $18/month. 10 credits. A credit is used for each text/weather/location update/path tracking.
inReach safety plan: $12/month (year subscription), $15/month month-to-month. Unlimited preset (up to 3 preset) texts. 10 sms/basic weather updates. Additional text/weather @ 50c, location/tracking at @ 10c.

About 90% of my use of my mini is preset messages so the choice is obvious for me. I send presets every couple hours, esp when I'm out solo that just say "All is well, love you. (Yes to Y/N)" to two contacts. Then "At trailhead/camp for night/car. (No to Y/N)". And one preset I haven't used yet "Hurt not emergency. Please pick me up at location."

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, entirely agree about the PLB vs Irridium satellite communicators. The only reason I ended up with a PLB was that, at the time I got mine, the options for Irridium Satellite communication devices were few, and they required an expensive annual plan. Since I only do a few backcountry trips a year, it seemed like a high cost.

As far as comparing the different brands/plans, it’s indeed a case of reading the fine print, and seeing what you actually use. My use is pretty similar to yours.

I see Spot now also offers a month by month option.
I think I will go for the InReach Mini though, 1/2 weight of the Spot X and other factors:
https://andrewskurka.com/review-spot-x-gps-two-way-satellite-messenger/

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
In a group setting, an InReach on one person, and a PLB on another is about all the redundancy one could ask for.

I thought it was silly to carry satellite communications device for a long time. Partially due to expense, partially due to the unlikelihood of needing it. Now I don't leave for a bc day, a mtb, a trail run/hike over 10mi, without it. A lot of that has to do with the fact it is <5oz and takes up very little space.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As far as comparing the different brands/plans, it’s indeed a case of reading the fine print, and seeing what you actually use.

Agreed with the proviso that not all brands/networks are equally reliable. There are too many failures to send stories of Spot users for me to trust those networks/devices.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the Bivystick and it works great though I have not had to use it for a rescue. One thing to mention about all these devices is be careful taking them overseas as my buddy just had his confiscated by the Chinese government.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to 2-way communication. Emergencies happen, but inconveniences and delays are more common. I got mine in 2017 after 2 weekends were a total cluster for friends or friends-of-friends:

From 5/6-5/8, John died on Hood, two of his closest friends were benighted on Mt Stuart and had SAR sent out. Based on the bail gear, bergshrund, & avy debris, they thought it would be a recovery, not a rescue. Their/my friend Kristen got lost on Rainier on her first ski tour just a few hours after I had run into her and didn't make it out of the park until 3am. There was a period where their close friends feared all 4 of them were dead.

Then, on 8/31, a group had an unexpected bivy on the Serpentine Arete after getting benighted. They triggered their PLB since they knew their wives would call SAR in the morning. Their rescuers were critical of the decision, given the cost and the fact that it was the Friday of Labor Day weekend when they were rescued, which is a busy outdoor weekend an thus a busy weekend for SAR. Without 2-way communication, SAR can't prioritize life-threatening emergencies over instances that are less critical.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I carry the Garmin InReach Explorer +. I like it. Having two way comms is really a great feature, haven't had to use it for anything serious other than to let the wifey know all is well, but in a real rescue, I can see how key it would be (as @Analisa describes above). I use the maps a lot, makes it much easier to learn and map sidecountry routes overseas (know where to take that critical traverse out, for example). I am looking at the new Garmin InReach 66i which has the same sos features as the Explorer + and the two-way comms, but this has satellite mapping and that would be really nice to have. At $600 retail, it's a lot of money though....

Sponsor

Staff online