• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Santa Fe and Sipapu 3/17/16 - 3/20

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
My wife and I just returned from a Southwest Road Tour, the first of many in the motorhome we purchased last Summer. Previously, the only place we've skied South of the state line is Taos, and like most, we loved the place.

We've eyed Sipapu and Pajarito for years. Quite a few of our passes over the years have involved some free days and we tend to love off the beaten path areas. We've talked about a trip for years, but never managed.

This year El Nino made us take it more seriously. However, we got so much snow locally I didn't have a hope of getting the motorhome out (buried in 3-6 feet of settled snow) before Mid February. My wife is a schoolteacher and in her final semester of grad school, so being spontaneous didn't work either. We had to schedule for March and rely on the typical strong el-nino March to pay off- and it didn't. We've had almost no snow since Early february. It turns out we were pushing the season pretty hard and had to scrub Pajarito due to lack of snow. As the pictures show, Sipapu was pretty far past its prime, but the corn harvest was stupendous.

We didn't really know what to expect from any of these places, but we found a lot of neat skiing and will definitely do more than Taos with our next pass through.

All in all we had a great time!

Wednesday, I picked my wife up from work and we rolled down US 550 from Durango to Ski Santa Fe. We drive straight up to the ski area and got there about 9:30 at night. It was about 5 1/2 drive. We parked outside the gate, fired up the furnace, and went to bed. We felt like we were the only people within 20 miles, but could hear the droning of the groomers and see occasional headlights up on the hill.

The next morning, I woke up and got a parking spot up front. We made breakfast, and ventured out to actually lay eyes on the hill we would be skiing...

Our camper "Nelly" (picture taken returning from lunch). The bunny hill area was just across the street.

gopr4529.jpg
We met this dude on our first run. The stache was impressive.

gopr4216.jpg

The entire face served by the two Summit Chairs looked really great. Tons of fall-line bumps, good looking trees, and rocky steeps and chutes. If Taos wasn't an hour away, a ton more people would be talking about this place. Unfortunately, even the sunny stuff was pretty bulletproof and we didn't get on most of the stuff we saw. On the plus side, snow preservation is really good here.

gopr4233.jpg

Tasty.

gopr4234.jpg

Ski Santa Fe is up there- its base is over 10,000 feet and the summit a bit over 12,000. You could see forever off the top, even on a day with some inversion layers adding haze. Great views of Santa Fe and surrounding topography. It was weird looking off to the horizon and seeing no snow save for what you were skiing.

gopr4244.jpg

I was pretty impressed with the groom.

gopr4314.jpg

Their Quad chair has a conveyor loading system. It was weird. This was Spring Break, and even with this contraption, this lift stopped every other chair.

gopr4357.jpg

I am pointing at Sandia Peak. I'll ski there when I can find somebody to recommend that I should.

gopr4378.jpg

Groomer Zoomin'
gopr4409.jpg

Lots of glades and steeps between the two Summit Chairs.

gopr4468.jpg

Another infinity view from the top.

After lunch, We were able to meet back up with Mr. Bob Lee. We did a couple of laps through Raven, which was the only bump line that had fully thawed. He also took us to put eyes on some sidecountry haunts, and wow,, there is some good stuff right past the ropes.

He invited me back to do a closing sweep, but we didn't realize the time (yay time change) and were too late to get back on a lift.

This is a great mountain, and I'd recommend someone planning a Taos trip to seriously consider a day or more at Santa Fe. After skiingh there, I would seriously consider taking Santa Fe on a powder day over Taos, as there is a lot of great terrain and competition for the goods should be less.

Attachments

• gopr4436.jpg
    gopr4436.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 12
  • gopr4506.jpg
    gopr4506.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
TS
Jeff N

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
After our day at Santa Fe, we rolled down the hill and on to Sipapu. I hadn't really realized how windy the road up to Ski Santa Fe was until I piloted our camper back down. Google maps also gave us a not-great route from Santa Fe, taking us over the "High Road to Taos" out of Santa Fe. It meant lots of wasted gas hauling the camper up steep hills just to go down the other side and start again.

By the time we got to Sipapu, it was dark, and we again had no idea what to expect.

How do you describe this place? Throwback doesn't even begin. The base area consists of a lodge with tickets and a general store/gift shop/rental shop on the ground level, a snack bar and actual bar on the second, and 8 motel rooms on the third. The only thing missing from some of my ski trips to local hills in the 1980's was the corner where the battle-scarred Moon Patrol and Ms. Pac Man arcade cabinets went.

A small river separates the base are from the mountain. Set your skis on the rack wrong, and they would end up in the river. I wonder how many rentals get lost that way...

The vibe was very much that of a small ski area from the 1960's 70's, or 80's. The tickets were like that too. A full-price window ticket is $44. We have a discount card from Purg, so that made our tickets $25. Our second day, the ticket counter person declined to charge us, telling us our card was good for a free ticket. She simply wouldn't take our money despite us explaining that we were sure we owed her some. Her demeanor made it unclear whether we were getting hooked up or whether she thought we were giving her a different card.

Conditions, were, em, not peak Season. They have snowmaking (and do a great job) on about 70% of there mountain, and most non-snowmaking terrain had melted out. But the whole mountain was baked to perfect advanced corn. We had tons of fun- and unlike the varying degrees of shitshow we saw over Spring Break at Wolf and Santa Fe, there was NOBODY HERE.

See? Fun.

gopr4531.jpg

Oh my god, they have a poma. This serviced some green runs off the top of the mountain. gopr4535.jpg

gopr4538.jpg

Anne likes poma lifts.
gopr4552.jpg

This was a much warmer day, and the corn harvest started more or less from the first run.

gopr4556.jpg

Sipapu's brand new quad chairlift. It services some beginner terrain. The mountain itself reminded me a bit of Monarch- not much hugely expert, but lots of good steep intermediate and advanced stuff. The new lift makes the non-catwalk beginner stuff more accessible. And it looked very out of place with the modest and well-worn vibe of the rest of the area.

gopr4566.jpg

Get it while it is good.

gopr4579.jpg

Snowmaking- skiing on 2 feet of snow, staring at dry woods and the margin of straw that separates one from the other.

gopr4593.jpg

More blue ice on this run than I'd ever seen- but by late afternoon it had thawed to the consistency of a slushy. Oh, so THAT is why they call it that...

gopr4604.jpg

Oh come on Anne, that is still skiable, you just need to ride the mogul crest for a while.

gopr4609.jpg

Better bumps up high. Good Spring Mushy Bumps.

gopr4612.jpg

Yum
gopr4616.jpg

Base area. The lodge is across the river on the right.

gopr4629.jpg
gopr4655.jpg

Another shot of the lodge.
gopr4659.jpg

Another way the mountain is quite a throwback is that almost all of the trails are narrow. I remember quite a few ski areas in Colorado skiing this way, but many widened their trails over the years. Not here, I suspect to aid snow retention and because the lack of crowds means no need to make boulevards.

gopr4664.jpg

Anne, I'm telling you, that is totally skiable.

gopr4671.jpg
Totally. gopr4680.jpg

Skiable. gopr4681.jpg

gopr4688.jpg

TS
Jeff N

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Props to the snowmaking department. Several parts of the mountain retained good, snow, but you needed to ski cat tracks on sunny aspects to get there. They obviously blew lots of snow to keep those parts open.

gopr4723.jpg
The above led to this.
gopr4724.jpg
And this-
gopr4725.jpg
To this.

gopr4726.jpg
gopr4730.jpg
gopr4732.jpg

In the afternoon, they opened the summit triple. This short triple accesses gladed terrain off the top. I suspect they split base to summit into two lifts so that the main lift from the base would have more protected snow at its upper terminal. The face underneath the lift was totally melted out. gopr4814.jpg

This traverse services the remaining open terrain off the top. No snowmaking up here...

gopr4818.jpg

But, get to another aspect, and you get a lot of great glades that still hold snow.
gopr4821.jpg

Not going to lie. Conditions were VARIABLE. Bulletproof for the first few turns, then generally soft 1" deep corn, with some bulletproof shady spots here and there. But FUN.Really.

gopr4824.jpg
gopr4827.jpg
They have a magic carpet, and I like riding lifts.
gopr4835.jpg

More off the top.
gopr4870.jpg
gopr4874.jpg
The trail was called Paul's Folly. It was folly.

gopr4877.jpg
gopr4878.jpg

Lifts were open until 5:00, and we found ourselves skiing to the bell.

gopr4939.jpg

This chair was made by Riblet. I've never seen one like it. The carriers are really angular and the drive terminal was tiny.

gopr4942.jpg

Attachments

• gopr4728.jpg
    gopr4728.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 10
  • gopr4746.jpg
    gopr4746.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 8
TS
Jeff N

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
gopr4952.jpg
gopr4953.jpg gopr4958.jpg
gopr5024.jpg

My verdict is we will definitely be coming back. Tons of fun at both places, and I recommend both to people looking to add to their Taos trip. If you like small ski areas, both are great, both ski (much) bigger than they are, and both are friendly places. I found a lot of terrain and tree skiing at both that would be super good after fresh snow.

Attachments

• gopr4968.jpg
    gopr4968.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 13

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We met this dude on our first run. The stache was impressive.

View attachment 5410
Ha! You know, the pleasure and the honor were mine. Sorry that we didn't have fresher snow for you, but it was awesome to meet you and yours and to ski together.

TS
Jeff N

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Ha! You know, the pleasure and the honor were mine. Sorry that we didn't have fresher snow for you, but it was awesome to meet you and yours and to ski together.

We knew what we were getting into with snow. In fact, Santa Fe had more snow than we expected- heading for a trip South after 2 months of Spring temps meant we weren't expecting to see skiable trees- and we saw plenty, just not any soft skiable trees.

We will try and figure out how to get back to Santa Fe, and if you are ever up in our neck of the woods, we would love to meet up.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Great report Jeff N! Makes me want to go there.:thumb:

TS
Jeff N

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I found out Pajarito ended their season on 3/20. A few folks from Sipapu said it was pretty dire out there. Next year...

Sponsor

Staff online